update to husband's psychiatrist appointment

crazymama30

husband went to psychiatrist today. He decided today that he did not need me to go:sick:, but I did write a note that he took to appointment:D.

psychiatrist is doubling his abilify. He will be on 20mg. Hopefully this will not trigger his tardive dyskinesia, if it does he has to go off everything for a while and then psychiatrist has another plan. I hope we don't need it, but if we do it had better be good.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, at least it's a plan, and there is a plan 'B' if that falls through. Does husband see a therapist at all?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Crossing my fingers it doesn't trigger the TD. I know how scary that is as my difficult child developed it from a medication as well. Hugs.

crazymama30

No, husband does not see a therapist. I don't think it would do him much good, if you don't give something a chance it won't work, and there is no way he would give it a chance. He saw a psychologist years ago, major freudian. Asked husband lots of questions about his mother, if he wanted to have sex with her, and the like. husband was not impressed. Then they focused on his childhood. That is a can of worms. It really did not help much, husband went for about 2-3months. That guy wanted husband to go see a psychiatrist and get on medications. Thought husband had borderline personality disorder, probably because of abusive childhood.

This psychiatrist was not impressed with the psychologists diagnosis. I think the guy was a quack.

TerryJ2

Aw, after all that, he decided to go alone? Sigh.

Yeah, I am not into Freudian analysis. I'd go for pretty much anything except for that. He made so many breakthroughs for his time, but he was also wrong on a lot of things, and lied to protect his reputation in the old boy network. I can't believe people still practice his philosophy to the letter.

At any rate, I've got my fingers crossed for your husband.

crazymama30

Yep, he went alone but at least he took the note. Baby steps. I think he feels like less of an adult if I go with him, or whatever. I don't know. I will probably never understand men, as they are from Mars as the book says.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My husband insists that I go for most of his doctor appointments. psychiatrist is the only one I haven't gone to with him (he's probably afraid of all the dirt I'd bring up -- but he doesn't realize psychiatrist already knows all this :p )

husband gets intimidated by doctors and shuts down, forgets things. I remember at one neuro appointment the doctor started asking husband questions and husband just looked at me as if to say, "So? What should I tell him?" After an awkward silence I finally chimed in and answered the question. Now he just tells everybody I'm his "nurse". Some days I appreciate the trust he puts in me, but other times I wish he'd be a grownup and take some ownership for this information.

Like you said, though, at least your husband took the babysteps and WENT. Hopefully the medication change will help and he'll see that and will continue to go back as needed. I think that's the biggest hurdle for men to get over.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Let's just say Freud had some major issues of his own.

Glad psychiatrist has a back up plan in place. Hope the medication change works.

Hugs

crazymama30

Actually gcv mom, the baby step was that he took the note I wrote, and actually showed it to psychiatrist. He has been going for over a year, and for that I am so grateful. He also takes his medications religiously. I fill the medication minder, and he takes them. Every once in a while I remind him if he starts to forget, cuz if he is even 1-2 hrs late I can tell.

I hope this medication change works too. husband is supposed to let psychiatrist know how things are going by Tuesday.