Update to my update

Tymica

So I was called to the school this afternoon where DFS awaited me. My difficult child went to school Thursday (After the blowup Wednesday night) and told the guidance counselor that he was beaten by my husband and myself, that we told him we hated him, that we made him sleep on the front porch several times. Of course, he left out the part of getting caught on drugs and being responsible for a break in at our home. So we told DFS everything starting with catching him smoking pot early last December. DFS then involved JO who tested him again. Guess what? He passed. I don't know how he failed 2 nights ago and passed tonight but he did. Luckily, I went home and got the tests out of the trash and showed them, and he admitted to the marijuana. So after sitting at the school giving the story for 3+ hours and going back and forth, difficult child has been taken to his grandparents for the weekend and we have a meeting on Monday afternoon. DFS told his that they do not feel he is unsafe here on a permanent basis, but maybe a small respit is necessary. But now, the 1 thing that I was trying to avoid (getting JO involved) has happened. I'm not sure where this is going to lead or what his motivation was in doing this. After all of this I don't even know what to think. I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks for letting me :-/

BusynMember

Kids know how to pass drug tests.

Actually sometimes the best way to get help for our kids is through the system. They can order things like rehab and the child has no choice.

Keeping my fingers and toes and eyes crossed that this turns out to be a good thing that offers everyone in your family some help!

Tymica

Basically because he passed their drug test, they can't do anything with the drug use. And with the break-in, he knows who did it and why, but was not an active participant (so he says) so again, nothing they can really do. I guess the meeting on Monday is to further discuss some options for rehab and him living here "safely". Really, I thought we had worked out a plan within our family that fit for us and would rather not have JO or DFS involved at all. This kind of blindsided us. But I will say I am relieved to just not have to deal with it for a few days and have him be gone. That is terrible isn't it? That I'm relieved that my teenage son has gotten himself removed from my house. For now, I am.

Kathy813

Staff member
That is terrible isn't it? That I'm relieved that my teenage son has gotten himself removed from my house. For now, I am.

Is that terrible? No . . . it is being human. All of us have longed for a time of respite from our troubled children. I think you should take advantage of this time and enjoy the peace and quiet. The challenging times will be back soon enough.

I'm not sure having DFS involved is a bad thing. Hopefully they will require drug testing for your difficult child and you won't be the bad guy anymore. I definitely think your difficult child needs therapy and possibly residential treatment.

My difficult child told me that she could beat any drug test given her.

~Kathy