UPDATED:::CATA Group- New thread!

klmno

I just thought we could start a new thread since the trial has moved into a different phase and so many of us feel the need to keep posting and discussing this case (myself included.) So, this is for Nancy's established CATA group!!

Last edited:

klmno

Going back to the difficult child issue that I find so hard to shake: I have a hard time distinguishing what aspects in Cindy might have contributed to Casey being the way she is and what aspects in the family dynamics are a result of Casey being a difficult child. I think I'd like to know that answer because maybe it could help me help my difficult child more and prevent more severe "difficult child-ness" in him. I don't know that I can come up with a definitive "here's where the Anthony's went wrong" answer though. I don't want to become like those idjits most of us warrior moms have had to deal with, in the sense of assuming "they should have tried this", "they didn't give her enough attention" or "they just didn't give enough rewards/consequences". How do we know that they didn't try all that? What was available to them to try 15-20 years ago, or even 5-10 years ago? I don't know if Cindy was always that way or if her controlling nature was the only way she could avoid Casey raging or taking over the household....I just don't know.

klmno

Verdict has been reached!! They will announce it in about 30 mins.

I had a feeling it was coming- they said on the news about an hour ago that the jury didn't even request a single break this morning. They probably knew their answer yesterday but just went over it again this morning to be sure. They never asked any questions or to review any transcripts or videos. This sounds like an all or nothing decision to me.

donna723

The ol' "blame the parents" routine! The "chicken or the egg" thing. I don't know nearly as much about all this as some of you do but personally I do see it as more that her parents trying to cope with Casey's behavior rather than them being the cause of her behavior. They have probably been trying to cope with her behavior since childhood! The parents themselves had already been victimized by her more than once from the chaos she created in their home. From what they said, she had stolen many, many checks from her mother and probably also kept their finances in chaos.

I'm sure they made mistakes as parents - we all have. And I'm sure there are things they would do differently if they had do-overs. But they also raised another child, Lee, who may have his understandable quirks but overall seems to be a normal functioning adult. If they were such horrible, awful parents this doesn't seem logical at all!

Nancy

DDD you are correct, there is a limit to what defense attorneys want to know about the guilt of their client. They cannot present evidence they know is false.

There are some jurors who want to talk about the case, they have a need to get it out, they haven't been able to talk to anyone about it for so long. Often the attorneys are anxious to hear what was important to them in the case. husband has gotten a lot of very helpful feedback from these sessions. He has had some where none of the jurors wanted to talk, it just all depends.

This is anguish time for both sides.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Ohhhhh...I couldnt believe it when I heard that everyone was converging on the court and my twitter on the phone went off at the same time...lol.

And I have a therapy appointment at 3!!!!...I may be late...lmao.

ETA: I had a feeling something was coming when smokers hadnt taken a break yet! Also, notice how Casey isnt acting nervous. Even Cory remarked how odd that was. He was more antsy than that when he was in court for driving charges!

klmno

I wonder if George and Cindy can get there in time....assuming they want to be there and are still holding up...oh wait....they just now announced that they are walking into the courthouse now. Lord help them.

klmno

It will be over by then, DJ! I think they said if it's 1st degree, they will start that phase in 2 days and I think the jury will stay sequestered until then, so no interviews if that's the case- if I understood that newscaaster correctly.

Nancy

There is no describing what the attorneys are feeling right now. And I cannot imagine what the Anthony's are feeling.

Nancy

klmno

I can't imagine it either- for the attnys or the family. No matter how many mistakes Cindy and George made as parents, you know they never made so many mistakes or incompetent decisions to deserve to be in such a lose-lose situation- for them, it's a lose-lose situation, in my humble opinion.

klmno

I can't get this out of my mind- the only time I saw Casey squirm- ever- was when the judge was reading the legal definition of aggravated child abuse. I hope the jurors saw that.

DammitJanet

Ohhhh.....this is such an awful situation for the parents. The Anthony's looked like they had aged 10 years in the past two days.

But still...No Lee or Mallory. Hmmm. I guess she has completely ruined that relationship forever and maybe even between his parents and him. Gosh I hope not.

DammitJanet

Ya know, casey could have begged for a plea anytime up to the time that the jury came back. I wonder what the prosecution would have done. They may have taken it.