UPDATED:::CATA Group- New thread!

Nancy

The check charges are done and over. Not sure wat she was sentences to but if itwas jail time they said she served it.

DammitJanet

Star...I always look at the missing kids pictures and I have amber alerts on my phone. I even do silver alerts. Does anyone else even do them?

We had a silver alert at the end of my road one day last year.

H

HaoZi

Klmno...you said there were lesser charges on the table? I thought the jury could only convict of what the state was charging, and they charged murder 1? Does the jury have the freedom to find her not guilty of murder 1 but then charge her with something else, instead?

Because I can see how they didn't convict her on murder 1. They had tons of circumstantial evidence, but nothing that really sealed the deal on how Caylee died. And without that, you really can't get murder 1.

I agree the state should have sought a lesser charge. Then I think they jury probably could have convicted her with what they had.

The state could have tried her on lesser charges that might have stuck better. I think they could have tossed it all in together to give the jury a way to convict without needing everything murder 1 requires, but I'm better versed in the appeals process than the original trial process, so I could be wrong.

ETA: Okay, they did have the out: aggravated manslaughter of a child. Idiot jurors, as Janet suggested. Thank you so much, public education system of Florida. This is what happens.

Nancy

Star if the family was all In cahoots why dud her Atty announce she will absolutely not be going back there?

Nancy

H

HaoZi

Janet, I get the Amber alerts on my phone, but the silver alerts don't come in, I have to catch those on TV.

klmno

Shari, withoout looking this up to confirm, I think there were 7 initial charges and 4 were lying to cops (my words). But at least the first 2 which pertained to first degree murder and child abuse or manslaughter, had lesser charges as options. Things like "not dsiposing of a body legally" (or whatever it's called) were not included but child abuse, manslaughter, with definitions about caring for a child and the child dieing in your care while not excersizing due diligence, (my words again) were included. Think of it this this way, if Wee were your grandchild instead of your child and your difficult child child left with him and he doesn't return, they find him dead like this, your difficult child is lying to you (which you find to be no surprise), what in the world could have happened? So if the evidence wasn't enough to prove either premeditated murder or a death of a child in the progress of child abuse, there were lesser charges- all were found not guilty except that she lied to police. Ok then, WTH is she still lying about if someone else caused this death?

Nancy

OK the way husband explained it to me was if they can't charge her with second or third degree murder if they charged her with first. Those lesser charges are included in the jury instructions and the jury could have found her guilty of one of them. They obviousley did not feel they had enough evidence to prove she did it. Aggravated manslaughter was their out as Haozi said. And they must not have charges her with abuse of a corpse, don't know why.

Nancy

H

HaoZi

Not to mention failure to report a death. No clue why they didn't try for illegal disposal of a corpse. This does leave the state open to charge her with those in a separate trial.

klmno

Because they think she's innocent- not that the state didn't prove guilt- I really think that's the jury's conclusion- they think Casey is really innocent of everything except lying to police. Ok then- carry that thought thru and see if that makes any sense.

I can see the juror who's similar to my difficult child's young, inexperienced GAL and the young man who'd never been married or had a child coming to this conclusion (maybe), but I can't see the 60yo or other jurors coming to this conclusion. If Casey had nothing to do with the death, even accidentally, then what on earth is she lying to police about? It just doesn't add up to me.

H

HaoZi

As one friend said, there is a difference between "innocent" and "not guilty."

lovemysons

My daughter in law just came to pick up grandbabies from my house. When I told her that this gal was aquitted like OJ her jaw dropped in disbelief. Pretty shocking...and so very very sad.

LMS

Nancy

Not to mention failure to report a death. No clue why they didn't try for illegal disposal of a corpse. This does leave the state open to charge her with those in a separate trial.

I believe Bill Schaffer said they could not charge her with anything else related to this crime.

Nancy

klmno

Did you hear that Ashton has annonced his retirement?

I don't blame him. It always seems to be the least experienced and knowledgable in the system, unfortunately.

DammitJanet

Ok.... let me get this...if you spank your kid you can be convicted of abuse. If you cant afford medical care, you can be guilty of neglect. But...if you lose your kid for 31 days and lie to the police and the cops find her in a swamp with the kids baby blanket wrapped around it in the mom's trash bags with the mom's duct tape around the kids head...thats all well and good. Im getting that right, right?

I just want to make sure.

Does this work for dogs too? If you kill a dog in that same manner what would happen to you?

klmno

Yep- i THINK THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT. (Sorry- caps were on.) And if you lie about it, you might get a slap on the hand for that. But if it's your dog, you can get arrested for that. And if you swat your kid on the tush when they're young to try to prevent this sort of situation, you can get arrested for child abuse. If, however, your child is found dead while under your care without having witnesses, that would NOT be child abuse.

Yes, DJ, I think you have the current picture.