Upper Arm/Shoulder pain?

eekysign

Hey folks - since we are the wimpiest group of people imaginable (ha! if they only knew!), I was wondering if anyone had experienced this. My upper arm, just below the shoulder (but NOT the shoulder) gets all stabby and angry at me if I try to reach backwards. Just started on Friday, seems to be getting worse each day since. Tucking my shirt in, in the back, pushing myself up out of a chair with my arms bent, and reaching to pull up my pants are all unhappy movements. Otherwise, it's just peachy. I can lift it straight out, over my head, anywhere in the front I want to - but reaching back makes it feels tight and painful.

Dad had rotator cuff nightmares a few years back, surgery on both. But if I remember right, his was in his shoulder, and he couldn't lift his arms UP, but was fine going backwards. That's about all I know 'bout arm/shoulder pain. Blah! This is inconvenient!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Is it possible you slept on it wrong.....stretch/cramped the muscles/ligaments and now it doesn't want Occupational Therapist (OT) cooperate? I seem to be having this issue more now that I'm getting *cough* older. And I find it quite irritating.

Now I can't put my right arm back behind me at all..........but that's from having the shoulder broken years ago.

When I'm having such an issue, I gingerly continue to use it......just be careful not to over do until it works the kinks out.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
A good chiro should be able to help, or at least figure out what is wrong and tell you he can't help if that is the case.

Massage might help a lot. Gentle stretching might also help. My dad had similar problems and would end up taking a pain pill and then have mom, Wiz or I move his arm through the stretches his physical therapist prescribed. The pain pill before hand was at the doctor and PT's suggestion. It made a big difference.

SRL

I'd also start with the chiro. Don't wait until it gets worse because it will only take longer to correct.

Lothlorien

From what you are describing, it could be a bursitis. I get periodic shots of cortisone in my right shoulder when my shoulder bothers me like you are describing. Try icing and taking some ibuprofen (take it regularly every four hours for a few days). See if it gets better with that. If not, my suggestion is to go to an ortho. They might give you a stronger anti-inflammatory and if that doesn't help, a shot of cortisone or a course of physical therapy should help.

Definitely ice and take ibuprofen (or Naprosyn, ie: Aleve)

witzend

It sounds like a strained muscle. Do you know any yoga stretches that might address that area? They're pretty gentle and should help, if that is what it is.

flutterby

Fly away!
My bursitis/tendonitis in my shoulders effects lifting up, out, behind...everywhere. It depends on what area is effected. Steroid shots help. Although, for me after the first one they don't do much.

They should give you a list of exercises to do, but you need to ice the area first.

eekysign

Thanks to you all! I'm going to try icing it - that's a great recommendation - since the doctor didn't mention anything about that.....it got frustrating enough last night that I went to my HMO's urgent care (costs the same as my doctor and has post-work hours!).

She poked and prodded and had me push up and down and sideways and slantways and backways.......and then hit a sweet spot in the middle of my arm, grinned, and triumphantly said, "Tendonitis! Where your deltoid attaches!" OW. I'd been poking at my arm all weekend and never found any part that hurt, but when she jabbed at that spot, my arm definitely got all stabby again. Yowza.

Problem being that I can't take NSAIDS or anti-inflammatories 'cause I've got tummy problems. She said to take it easy and take tylenol for the pain, and if it got worse to go see an ortho for cort. shots. Boo bad tummy. So any recommendations now that we know what it is? Ice, I can do. Anything else helped you guys? Is a chiro still a good idea?

Marguerite

Depending on the type of pain, it could be a number of possibilities.

"electric' types of pain with tinglnig, pins & needles or prickly feelings, sound like pinched nerve (possibly brachial plexus and associated nerves) in the neck. These nerve roots can get pinched between the neck vertebrae. A GOOD chiropractor can help. A BAD chiropractor can make it a lot worse. First step would be to talk to a good doctor, then make the choice.

It could be knotted muscles or torn muscle. Again, a GOOD chiropractor can help...

Marg

I am dealing with similar. I get it under extreme stress. Chiro and massage helps. The massage therapist just gave me arnica gel:it helps a lot. Also, I do a lo of epsom salt baths in whirlpool but regular bath also helps. I use lavender oil to help relax. Drinking chamomile and tension tamer tea helps too. Swimming helps. Compassion

witzend

Tendonitis is awful! I have it all over the place with my MD. Try the gentle yoga stretches, if it's been going on for a few days try a heat pad. No advil, either? Xanax does have some muscle relaxing properties, so you might try some at night to help it calm down. And don't sleep on that side!

Here's a link with some stretches that are illustrated and described for tendonitis. Hope it helps!

http://www.yogachicago.com/mar05/shoulders.shtml

eekysign

Janet, don't scare her on the steroid shots. :tongue:

They're really not bad at all.

You ladies are NOT helping. Hehe. :)

Arm's definitely worse today, post-icing and resting (as much as possible, I still have to work). Just went to pull down the back of my shirt 'cause it had ridden up, and man, oh, man - did that ever hurt. I've realized that must be a subconscious habit of mine (shirt-readjusting), because I keep doing it without realizing - OWWWW.

We'll see how it is tomorrow. My primary care has to get back to me tomorrow anyway about my iron labs....lord, I'm falling apart @ 28. At least Sis is doing well....someone remind me to write an update. Smart-kid boarding school (and finding two good tdocs) was the best thing we ever did, and the changes in her are amazing. She's gone from a raging, violent kid with no friends or the ability to make them, to a happy-ish teen with a group of friends all over the world, with a (gasp) BOYFRIEND. I saw her blow off triggers that would have had her attacking us, without even noticing them. Un-freaking-believable. I'll write something out and post it to General, tomorrow, maybe.