Upping our expectations. Can this hurt him in the long run?

BusynMember

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help.
My son is really doing well in eighth grade. He does get some help and spends some time in a CD (cognitive disorder) class, but is mostly on his own. In fact, he's done so well that, when we plan for high school, we would LIKE to change his CD status to Learning Disability (LD) (it has been suggested) and gear him towards going to our two year tech school out there (in Wisconsin we have tech schools rather than two year Junior Colleges). He could get Special Education at the tech school too. If we switch his status, will he still be able to get help as an adult? He may need it, even if he get a two year degree. He still has lifeskill deficits, but they are getting better. I don't want to take away his possible help though. If he needs it, I'll feel terrible if they say he's "too high functioning" to get it. He is Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.
The other option we have is to put him into a life skill program and keep him as CD, gearing him towards a work/school program. He'd have no trouble getting help as an adult then. I don't want to make it hard for us to get him help.
Any feedback? We just went to his High School Orientation and, frankly, I was SCARED...lol. Son has asked, "Will I still get help?"

susiestar

Roll With It
Is it possible to talk to a counsellor and ask what the options are??? Maybe call someone in the department that does services for autistic people??

I would worry also. My difficult child is an Aspie, an very high functioning. He had help up to jr high, and then didn't seem to need it in high school (10th to 12th here). He is now a junior, all regular classes aimed at college prep. Next year he will study metalworking at the tech school, then the state will pay for another year in the program. He is really really excited.

My mom enrolled him in a correspondence English class because the senior English classes were not offered at times he could take them. So one more paper and he will have all his English stuff done!!

He gets help at home, his friends do not seem to realize the Aspie stuff. It is pretty worrying as they grow up, but he will probably do well. You have really given him a great foundation to grow on.

Susie

Sheila

MM -- the category of disability should not drive the IEP-- it should be strictly based on the unique needs of the student.