Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) question

KTMom91

Miss KT thinks she's getting another Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), but she can't get to the doctor until Wednesday. Besides cranberry juice, what else can she take to keep it at bay till then?

InsaneCdn

Anyone else please ignore this post... might be too much information...

You can actually do a water-flush. I had to do it once - couldn't even get cranberry juice.

Drink water. Not large quantities at one time - don't want to get water intoxication. You need to know your own limits, and stay within them. But drink steadily... I did half a cup every 20 to 30 minutes. Kept drinking until it was coming out the other end... and then kept on drinking at the same rate for another hour or so. Total pain... it was the middle of the night, we were guests... ended up not even leaving the washroom. But... after that much water going through the system, you significantly reduce the volume of bacteria even if you don't completely eliminate the problem. DO NOT REPEAT. That much water going through produces stress on your system... but for an emergency situation, it was worth it. It kept me going for a day and a half until we could get home and get to a doctor.

susiestar

Roll With It
instead of cranberry juice, which has too much sugar to be really helpful, have her get cranberry extract in liquid (most effective form) or in capsules. These will do a LOT more for the Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) than drinking gallons of juice would. The sugar in the juice counteracts the helpful effects of the cranberry. Also have her start taking a regular probiotic supplement. It doesn't have to be fancy, just an acidophilus supplement (keep in the fridge after opening) and it may actually help prevent future UTIs. She should take probiotics while on antibiotics because otherwise seh will end up with a yeast infection most likely. It can become a vicious circle - Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), antibiotics, yeast infection, antifungal, and around again.

I thought this was nonsense, but both my mom and I stopped having frequent UTIs once we started taking daily acidophilus during a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and stayed on it for several months. I don't know how it is all related, I just know that this, and using cranberry extract (either put drops on her tongue or in a dixie cup of plain water - NOT with anything with sugar in it) worked for both of us. The acidophilus also was a HUGE help with the stomach cramps, etc.... that came iwth my period each month.

What is she doing to prevent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s? Does she know that peeing as soon as possible after sex is a HUGE help in preventing them? It is also super helpful to use plain water to clean off after she uses the toilet. When I got a lot of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s, one doctor told me to keep a squirt bottle, like the ones used for condiments, and squirt myself off with warm water before I wiped when I urinated. Sounded kind of silly, but it worked. the doctor said it was okay to put a small amt of betadine in the water, but it wasn't necessary. Just either get a new bottle (don't recycle one from ketchup or anything with a lot of sugar in it - it is hard to get it all out and it makes a difference) or keep a bottle of plain saline for contact lenses handy. the saline is fine to use, and can be a lot easier if you are raw/sore down there.

If she usually gets yeast infections when she takes antibiotics, the doctor can give her diflucan to take when she starts them. It is one pill that will cure the infection - one pill and you are done. It works for at least a week. Yogurt is also helpful, but the most effective use is to apply plain yogurt to her privates, rather than to eat it. It is a LOT easier to take acidophilus, in my opinion, than to keep doing that. At least it was for me, esp when I lived in a dorm.

The whole thing about wiping front to back is helpful, but isn't that effective. The distance is small down there, and it is likely that your underwear will spread the bacteria/whatever anyway. This is one reason why using plain water is so helpful - it rinses you clean rather than just wiping it off and leaving some behind. She could use baby wipes, but the plain water is easier and some types of wipes, esp the fragranced ones, can HURT. So she should look for the most gentle, unscented ones she can find, or use saline or water on a gentle soft paper towel.

The cranberry extract is amazingly helpful. Also, there is a medication used to treat Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) pain that the doctor can rx. It isn't a substitute for antibiotics, but it can make a huge difference. It turns your urine orange though, so warn her. I freaked out the first time I used it because no one warned me. It looked like orange triaminic cough syrup - NOT what I expected!

I looked up the medication name - phenazopyridine (Pyridium) - and if she is allergic to sulfa she shouldn't take it. Otherwise it is a HUGE help - it stops the burn when you urinate. Not all docs, esp male ones, will think to offer it, so she should ask for it.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
For right now: Vitamin C, lots, and lots of water. If she even has one or two antibiotics hanging around, take one or two. The OTC stuff to help flush the UT out and take edge off the burn are very helpful.

As preventative: acidophilus, plenty of water, peeing after sex, pantyliners, unscented wipes after going #2. What Susie said.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Miss KT should take a good bath once a week. And no, I'm not questioning her hygiene. A bath once a week is good to prevent both UTIs and yeast infections. One doesn't tend to rinse very well in the shower if you get my drift. And leftover soap suds can cause issues. Tell her to make certain she's wiping front to back. (sounds simple but you'd be stunned how many females don't know to do this)

Others gave you good suggestions too.

I'll tell ya, I looked at my docs like they were nuts over the bath deal. (both OB and fam doctor said to do it) I'd just left home from a lifetime of baths and welcomed the shower. But honestly, I've never once had a yeast infection and despite my kidney problems, I don't have many infections either. So there is something to it.

And she does need to be careful with the water. Several 8oz glasses are fine, no need to go overboard and cause other issues.

**PS** If she loves bubble baths, she might want to cut them out. Suds get up in the urethra and cause the same issue as not rinsing well. Females with repeat UTIs who take bubble baths are advised to stop.

DammitJanet

Warn her with the little pills, that her pee will turn a really bright neon orange though, I actually had to give one to Tony once when he got a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and he thought he was dying...lol.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If cranberry extract is too pricey, and she does want to stick to cranberry juice, tell her... Make sure the bottle says JUICE and not COCKTAIL.

I'd rather have orange pee than a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), too. Doesn't the college have a student clinic?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh, forgot one other thing! STOP WEARING SKIN TIGHT PANTS, if she wears tight jeans. This is difficult child's problem, wears tight pants, perfect setting for bacteria to dwell, dark and moist....can lead to Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Her dr told her to wear looser pants. Not that she was listening.

DDD

This will sound like a commercial, lol. Once the druggist suggested I try Azo my problems were solved.
These teeney, tiny pills taken with alot of water clear the pain and reduce the frequency pronto. I keep them in the house still "just in case". DDD

Steely

I am sold on AZO. It is AMAZING. If I feel a yeast infection coming on, I take their yeast formula, and over 75% of the time it knocks it out. Pretty impressive for a homeopathic solution.
For Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), they sell the cranberry, which works good, but they also sell what is basically Pyridium - which numbs and takes away the discomfort which helps even more.
HUGS to her - there is nothing worse (in my opinion) than an Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)....(perhaps because I have had so many.)

Marguerite

My mother used to dose me with carb soda (sodium bicarbonate). It alkalinises the urine. If you can get pH paper you can monitor the pH. You aim for a pH of about 7 (neutral). You can buy over-the-counter alkalinisers such as Ural or Citravescent. Take those if you can't get to a doctor, but really, there shouldn't be any delay. UTIs do not go away with these sort of treatments, they just burrow in and become more difficult to treat later on. When I was a uni student I delayed for too long, ended up with a serious kidney infection.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Tight pants are bad. So are undies that are not cotton. Not jsut cotton lined, COTTON. They can have a little lycra or whatever, but at least 95% cotton. One aunt swore by nylon undies. No lines on her pants. LOTS of UTIs, yeast infections, etc..... I finally convinced her to try changing to cotton undies and taking acidophilus and she has had very few since then.

she also MUST MUST MUST avoid scented tampons/pads at ALL costs. They are PROVEN to cause all sorts of infections and problems. If she douches, she needs to stop. Even plain water douching is not good for you. The store bought ones that are scented are just. plain. evil. Your body is self cleaning up there - jsut like your ear or nose. You do a LOT more harm with a douche than you do help. If you have a bad odor that won't go away, then you need a doctor, not a douche. I never even thought of this until recently the topic came up with one of J's friends. The girl kept getting sick and it was from douching. If a good ob/gyn tells you to douche for a certain health problem, then do it, but otherwise do NOT. Not even the vinegar and water ones that are marketed as "healthy" for cleaning after sex. they are NOT. by the way, douching after sex makes you MORE likely to get pregnant. Seems some kids still think it is a form of birth control - there were a LOT of dropped jaws when the nurse told parents this way back at the parent meeting before the kdis had sex ed. Seems many of the moms still thought it was a good idea.

I am all for Azo IF you also go to the doctor to get treatment. Dealing with the symptoms is good, but you still need treatment.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
What Susie said was right. I had some issues till I quit wearing nylon undies and - pantyhose are evil!!! I don't even own a pair.