UTIs

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
So I recently had my first run-in with this unpleasant experience. Not looking to have another I've been doing a lot of roaming online and asking a lot of questions of other women that have experienced it. One thing that I've seen online but not known anyone personally that has tried it is this stuff called d-Mannose. I've decided to order some off Amazon to try as a preventative but wanted to know if anyone here has also used it.

*It seems generally safe, might cause bloating or constipation, and is a no-no if you have leaky gut.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If it causes bloating, it most likely also causes you to retain water, which is contraindicated in UTIs. The more urine to move, the less chance of infection.

This is pretty much a given but many women are never told:

1. always wipe front to back
2. a bath once or twice a week is good for female health, not just Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) wise but yeast infection wise
3. if you have a partner and you find you're having a lot of UTIs have them checked for one (people don't always notice the symptoms), he could pass it to you via intercourse.
4. when washing the area make certain to rinse very well, soap residue will help create the environment the lil bacteria dudes like to live in.
5. drink lots of water, make it your best friend.
6. if you like cranberry juice, enjoy it more frequently

If this isn't a chronic condition, I advise against taking anything OTC to "prevent" them. Odds are you may never have one again, especially if you practice most of the steps above. Even if it is a chronic thing, I advise not taking anything OTC for it, consult your doctor for ways to help prevent.........or if it becomes an issue make an appointment with a urologist and take their advice. You have to be careful trying to treat yourself OTC, people forget anything you take that way can possibly interact in a bad way with anything else you happen to be taking. Know what I mean??

They're not fun, no. Make sure you take your antibiotic until it is completely gone. Last thing you want/need is for some of those buggers to be hanging around to start it all up again. I couldn't begin to count over the years how many I've had.......it goes along with my other chronic kidney issues, but the above steps keep them down to hardly ever. It's been years since the last time I was treated for one. :)

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I've always been careful with bathroom and bathing stuff. This was my first encounter with one, never even had one when I was pregnant. I'm supposedly cleared of infection according to tests, but I do worry that it will happen again. And yes I've talked to my boyfriend about him going to his doctor and seeing if that's part of the issue if it does occur again. Also drinking cranberry juice several times a day (yes I love the stuff) and taking cranberry pills (not more than the box says though) and plenty of liquids and have cut back on my coffee as well.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
FWIW d-Mannose is one of the sugars found in cranberries that is thought to be one of the things that helps make it effective against UTIs caused by e. coli (but not UTIs of other causes).

DDD

In my 30's I had a load of problems with Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s. I'm not sure what the current treatments are but often I did not have an actual infection. I went thru "torture treatments" where the urethra (or is it the ureter??) was dialated on a regular basis as the urine couldn't pass at the normal rate due to the reduced diameter and lack of flexability. Frequency of urination was the big issue and it interfered with my work day as well as at home. When I had pain I used AZO pills from OTC and drank mega liquids. That often solved the problem but always reduced the pain until I could get an appointment. with the Urologist. This chronic problem, lol, went away when I got older and less amorous! FYI, lol. DDD

scent of cedar

Take an Alka Seltzer at the first sign of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Changes the pH of the urine and kills the bacteria. I tried this one, and it worked beautifully. (DDD, too funny about becoming less amorous!)

I find too that I've developed an "allergy" to soap ~ any kind of soap. Must be a pH thing? I started using one of those special feminine washes.

Problem solved.

Last thing is thong underwear. The string is an excellent way for bacteria to enter the urethral area. If you wear them, remove them altogether at night.

Barbara

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I only wear thongs when I go out on Saturday nights, and when this happened I hadn't been going out because I'd been sick from a stupid sinus infection. But yep, know about sticking with cotton underwear, too!

susiestar

Roll With It
Not sure about the supplement, but most cranberry juices on the market are NOT helpful. You need to avoid sugar as much as possible because it feeds the bacteria and prolongs the infection. Try either concentrated cranberry extract or dried cranberry capsules or unsweetened dried cranberries instead. Most juices, including the ones that are 100% juice, have so much sugar that the beneficial effects of cranberry are overwhelmed by the problems the sugar contains. Most 100% juice cranberry drinks/juices are mostly grape and/or pear juice with cran to flavor them. Health food stores sell the dried extract in capsules or a liquid extract that is strong tasting but very helpful.

If soap causes problems, you don't need a special feminine wash. Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in 1-2 c warm water and rinse the area with it. IF you get one of the clear plastic squeeze bottles sold for candy making etc.... or sold at the dollar store in red and yellow for ketchup and mustard, you can fill it iwth your warm water and squirt the area to clean it gently, affordably and with-o scent.

Be aware that ANY scented feminine hygeine product, be it soap, pads, tampons, wipes, etc...., is another cause of frequent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s. You should NEVER use a scented product in that part of your body no matter what. The scents are proven to cause problems.

Your body naturally cleans itself. Douching is an AWFUL thing for your body. Don't do it no matter what unless an ob/gyn tells you to. IF you have a bad smell in that area, go to the doctor asap. Normally that area should not have a really strong smell and it is a sign of infection if it does. Douching kills the good bacteria and can lead to MAJOR problems including so much scarring from various infections that it can contribute to infertility.

There is a medication that will reduce pain and burning during urination. Most docs know what it is. It turns your urine bright orange but it stops the pain. Which is very helpful as you need to drink lots of liquids to flush out the infection but if it hurts you are far less likely to drink enough fluids.

One of the best ways to prevent a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is to urinate as soon after sex as possible. It greatly reduces your chances of catching an infection from your partner. It flushes out bacteria that might be forced up the urethra and this helps prevent infection.

It is highly possible for a man to not have a clue he is a carrier of a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). You get the infection, take medications to end it, then get reinfected. If you have more than 1-2 Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s in a short period of time, get him to take antibiotics (Not yours, of course). If you have recurring yeast infections, treat him when you treat yourself. It is one of the most common sources of repeated infections of the genitals, urethra, bladder, etc..... You cannot tell if a man has an infection by looking at his privates. Of course if he has bumps and/or lumps it is a red flag to say and mean NO, but often men don't feel the same symptoms we have. STD's have mutated to the point where you cannot tell by looking but can get nasty resistant strains by contact which makes them very dangerous.

Most docs here test for the common STD's incl chlamydia if you have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). While you may not have other symptoms, you could still have an infection and could lose fertility due to untreated infections. If you doctor didn't run a standard panel and you are sexually active, please ask. It isn't whether you want to have another child, it is to avoid other long term problems due to STD's.

I am sorry you had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). they are awful, but it can be a warning. I hoep all symptoms are gone and stay gone!

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I'm hoping it was due to using a new bath product during that time rather than any other possible cause. I've always done the pee before and after sex thing, etc. Got fixed a few months ago and had the standard STD panel run, but I'm not naive enough to rule out any possible causes so taking all precautions.

DammitJanet

I get Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s quite frequently and in fact that is why Im seeing a urologist right now. They finally cultured the urine &nbsp;to find out &nbsp;what we were treating on the antibiotic she felt would be the best one anyway. We found out my bladder was also spasming badly. &nbsp;<br><br>I do use AZO all the time. My gp told me &nbsp; for almost &nbsp;two months that I didnt have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and I just took the AZO &nbsp;for two months because &nbsp;it simply hurt so bad<br>