V. update

Ktllc

I have not been around too much. Life gets busy and, although problems persist, I don't want to talk about the same old stuff all the time. lol
V started school last week, this week being his first full week. He likes it and don't fuss about going. He even tells me what they do, sometimes in details.
His talking go him in trouble though this week. He had silent lunch 2x but was not affected by it at all. When I tried to talk to him about it, he went into drama mode so I stopped.
The teacher put hm on his individual desk today when it was time to do writing and other work. She said that it helped A LOT. He does get wiggly during circle time but did not get in trouble for it yet. I reminded the teacher to take out the weighted vest but of course not to force it.
I explained that the talking was part of impulse control and that punishing would probably won't help. She seemed to agree.
The teacher is a smart lady and we have good communication. So we'll have to see how it goes...
V had a new speech assessment today and she confirmed Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). We talked a lot about ALL of his issues and she said that with kids like V it's hard to know which it is: Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) creating the issues, or the string of issues looking like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). This Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) works mainly with low functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids.
So then she called her colleague who specializes in Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). The colleague said V is the typical case of Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and that we also should see a neurologist to see if there is some genetic markers or other imbalance/intoxication of the brain.
I shared that V has been referred to a GI doctor for his eating issues (he now pretty much just eats hot dogs and bread). The colleague was not surprised of those issues as they are supposed to be all linked.
on the other hand, the colleague strongly disagreed with V being on the spectrum and even said not to persue the evaluation with this reputable university program! She said that if we persue, V will get a Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis for sure and it won't help him at all... I was quite puzzled by this staement to say the least. The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluator did not go against her colleague's statement but chose not to say anything to it.
V is going to stay on the waiting list but I do find her opinion kind of weird. To her credit, she seemed very knowledgeable in Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and gave me some useful tips.
V won't be able to have speech at this place because there are no opening in this afternoon at this time..
So I guess I have a bit more info than I did yesterday but not super helpful right now.

T

TeDo

I would stick to the plan of having him evaluated for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is not licensed to give that kind of diagnosis and there ARE things that you might be able to access with the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis should he get it. Also, if the university program is good, they will take the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) into account when figuring it all out.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about you guys. {{{{HUGS}}}}

buddy

Oh yeah ...dont close any doors. Getting an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis won't hurt him if that's what he has! With processing problems often going along with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) both will be considered. Sometimes we have to take the good we can get from people and then say "thanks for your opinion " but not follow every piece of advice.

So, V probably really likes the structure in school at this age? As his teacher learns "V" I hope she finds lots of tricks and routines for him! She sounds really great so far.

InsaneCdn

Sorry if my opinion muddies the waters but... we had various sources pushing us toward an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)-related diagnosis for years. Turns out, they were part right and majorly wrong. He does have some traits, but no where near what would qualify for an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or Aspergers diagnosis. What he did have were many of the other things that tend to go "with" Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)... Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)... and what appeared to be social issues were caused by extreme fatigue.

So... if YOU feel the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis is likely or probable, then pursue it. If YOU are not so sure, it may not hurt to hold off for a bit. I don't know how it is where you are, but around here... if you get an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis, you are pretty much stuck with it for life. Not a problem if it is accurate...

BusynMember

I would stick to the plan of having him evaluated for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is not licensed to give that kind of diagnosis and there ARE things that you might be able to access with the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis should he get it. Also, if the university program is good, they will take the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) into account when figuring it all out.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about you guys. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Bingo. This is why I never used speech therapists or the like for evaluation purposes. For HELP, yes. For diagnosis, not at all. They only know their own field and can't see other signs beyond. I would keep pursing a total evaluation and put what the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) said in the background. Only a psychiatrist, neuropsychologist and POSSIBLY (I don't remember) a licensed clinical psychologist can legally make a diagnosis. University hospitals tend to be on the cutting edge...please, please be sure to take V!! Whether or not V is on the spectrum is like splittnig hairs. He is acting like it so the interventions should help him.

I always prefer the professionals who are able to diagnose by seeing the big picture, not just one area. APDs are common on the spectrum, just like sensory issues are. And an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. will help get interventions alot more than the other diagnosis. will. Good luck! :)

Malika

Well, it is very puzzling. Why would she say that V will get an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis for sure if she herself does not think that is an accurate diagnosis? Are the university people likely to insist he is on the spectrum even if he isn't? I thought the whole point was that that was their area of expertise and they would finally be able to give a really clear picture... but maybe I am missing something.
Anyway, it's really great news (I think!) that V is liking school and getting on well there. Long may it continue. Sounds as if the teacher is a good link in the chain.

TerryJ2

I don't get it. Why can't he have more than one diagnosis if it gets him svcs? And how can it possibly hurt him? I just don't get it.

Ktllc

V is staying on the waiting list for sure! I have met with them already (during the initial 1 hour interview) and it did not sound like they would give him a diagnosis just because we show up at the evaluation. The clinical worker actually agknowledge his strength and said that they will be VERY careful during the evaluation. High functioning is harder to diagnosis properly I suppose.
Like Buddy and Midwest said: take the good Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) advice and leave the rest. It is indeed not her area of expertise.
But I have to admit her comments have been dancing in my head...
Now I have 2 kids who really need speech and so far no luck findig a provider. Maybe we should move?? I'm seriously considering it, although it would be somewhat of a nightmare (sell our house, find the right place and I have no idea where to start). I might post in the watercooler and see what people suggest!

susiestar

Roll With It
I think this Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) s among the group of people who feel that Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis's are being handed out willy-nilly and it isn't a "real" disease/disorder, just something some parents and docs created to excuse their kids' bad behavior. Trust me, I do NOT think or feel that it is true, but I have run into a LOT of people who feel that something is overprescribed and does not exist. I find it sad when it is a person trained to help children, but I am not surprised by it very often. I cannot tell you how many tdocs told us that Wiz was not an Aspie and that he did not have adhd or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but instead he was 'spoiled' and 'arrogant'. Wiz very well may have been arrogant and spoiled at times, but he was also an Aspie - they are NOT mutually exclusive!

I would follow your instincts. Push if they say to push, and ignore people who are speaking on topics they do not understand. in my opinion this Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is not qualified to tell you or anyone else if a child is autistic or has other problems except for problems relating to Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and then only on people she has tested and worked with.

InsaneCdn

<tongue firmly in cheek>
You could move over to where Buddy lives, and hire her as the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)?
I'm sure she'd do an excellent job, and you would be most understanding of the work-live balance issues she is dealing with..

If only life were that simple.

T

TeDo

Coming to Minnesota from NC would be a HUGE climate change but IC is right. Where Buddy lives there are lots of resources for kids in your situation and the services can be phenominal. There are times I wish I lived closer to her area. She has already rooted out some of the bad providers and could easily steer you to the "good" ones. Just a thought.

Malika

Now that's a great idea! Two birds neatly felled with one stone - Buddy is looking for work and Ktllc would have an excellent Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)! So it's a little sideways shift across the country but hey... bet the children would love playing in the snow :)

Ktllc

LOL. We used to live in upstate NY, so climate will be ok... on the other hand, workwise I'm not sure it would be our best bet. But I would LOVE being Buddy's neighbor. ;)

BusynMember

Well, it is very puzzling. Why would she say that V will get an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis for sure if she herself does not think that is an accurate diagnosis? Are the university people likely to insist he is on the spectrum even if he isn't? I thought the whole point was that that was their area of expertise and they would finally be able to give a really clear picture... but maybe I am missing something.
Anyway, it's really great news (I think!) that V is liking school and getting on well there. Long may it continue. Sounds as if the teacher is a good link in the chain.

Of course they won't say it for sure, but they are able to test far more than speech disorders with is all a speech and language therapist can do.

Can't V. get speech therapy in school? My son's speech therapy was first though the county and then in school for free. They did a great job. Sonic has no speech problems at all anymore and before therapy he didn't really speak much except to echo. Didn't cost us a dime and was just excellent.