Vacationing with a difficult child

Christy

Wish us luck, tomorrow we are leaving for the beach. We go almost every year and have some very fond memories, but we also has some horrible meltdown flashbacks. So any traveling with a difficult child tips are greatly appreciated.

Here's some things we are doing to be proactive...

Portable DVD player

A few new dvds difficult child has not seen yet plus some he chooses to bring along

Snacks on demand, even junkfood, it's vacation afterall

difficult child will pack a backpack of appropriate toys but I also keep small lego projects, art stuff, and games to help with waiting at restaurants and downtime at the hotel

We are going to try our best to avoid the crowded boardwalk area, too over stimulating, too many prizes to become obseessed with, way to many inappropriate things to buy

And if all else fails...We are staying at a really nice oceanfront hotel so even if difficult child is awful we can still kickback with a cool drink on the balcony and watch the waves!

My biggest concern is the pool, difficult child is an only child (He usually has his cousins to play with but they were unable to come this year.) so he will be in search of kids to play with, this can turn ugly quick. difficult child likes to pretend he's a shark. This is scary and overpowering for the little kids and too immature for kids his age. Sometime we get lucky and find a child who enjoys playing with difficult child but most find him overwhelming. I usually try to get him to swim and play with me but he is getting to the point where being with mom is no fun.

The beach is usually okay as long as it is not too crowded. He likes to build in the sand. We are going to take a nature cruise that he will enjoy, a visit to the amusement park, and the ever popular minature golf that has gone both good and bad in the past.

difficult child is very excited abut going and he has been doing pretty well the past few days so hopefuly he be stable.

Have a great week!
Christy

TerryJ2

Great ideas. I second the motion to avoid the boardwalk. My son loves it but gets addicted to the games and junk toys and then melts down. It's horrid.

Too bad I can't come along ...playing shark is my favorite! I even went out and bought a rubber fin that fits on top of your head so you can dip your head down and pretend to cut through the waves. Just b4 I duck under, I sing the "Jaws" theme, da-dum, da-dum, dadumdadumdadumda-dumdadum! I'm the kid, my kids think I'm nuts ...

klmno

Enjoy!! It sounds like you are well prepared and if there are a couple of streneous moments, I'm sure you can get them turned around without ruining the whole vacation.

Let us know how it went when you return!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Don't know how far you'll be driving but take lots of rest stops if it's far and let him use those large muscles as often as possible. And the more physical activity during the day, I think the better for overall mood. Swimming is GREAT.

What about a snorkel/mask? That might be kinda fun to try in the pool or at the beach and could keep him occupied for a while...

Good luck and hope it's fun and relaxing for everyone!