VENT!! I asked about 6 YO difficult child and cops, I got cops Wed AM

Marguerite

ON the home-school front (even if it's just some home tutoring in math) - we found a system, via difficult child 3's correspondence school last year, of an online computer tutor system which is similar to a very expensive one commercially marketed, but much more affordable. We registered difficult child 3 for it this year also partly hoping his school would be continuing with it (for whatever reason, they chose not to). A problem with this system that we found - we weren't on broadband at the time and our computer wasn't fast enough. But we did solve that problem. Cost-wise for us - A$90 a year. There has to be something similar for you, but if not, this one is worldwide. It can be set to the grade level at which the child is working and they will change a grade level at least once through the year at the teacher's/parent's request. It provides incentives, runs competitions between kids all round the world at that grade level - lots of fun. It gets explained, they can ask the computer for more information on how to do something - we found with both our boys, using the computer for tutoring was more effective because the computer is non-judgemental.

He could do a session on the computer each afternoon (half an hour every second day would still make a big difference).

You say he can work OK at home - that tells me that something at school is interfering with his ability to perform. There is something there that is a problem for him. It could be as simple as anxiety and/or distraction, or it could be as serious as abuse and/or bullying.

What is the aim of school? How does it apply to him? What do YOU feel about school and its purpose in your son's life?

I hope the appointments for your son come round soon. He needs the added understanding. I think you do, too.

Marg

TerryJ2

Hi Jan,
so sorry. I can relate to the back issues. And my son is very kinesthetic and wanted to be picked up and held all the time, up until he was about 7. Luckily, my husband is a chiro.
I'm thinking it's actually good that the bus driver witnessed the incident because if no one at school has seen that type of behavior, now you've got your foot in the door, so to speak. Also, it's great that you could play that recording to the principal.

Have you had a chance to talk to your difficult child yet about why he didn't want to go? Is he calm now?
You've gotten some great responses here.