Vented yesterday-Now the questions

SaraT

We have recently gotten a new diagnosis of Aspergers added to the other diagnosis's of ADHD and Mood Disorder-not otherwise specified. Aspergers explains SOOOOOO much about why difficult child is not getting "better". I think we need to change our focus from changing difficult child(ie behavior mod) to teaching difficult child coping skills(ie how does she work within her limits). Had new IEP meeting Thursday-completely usless disaster!

School keeps trying to get difficult child to act and be responsible like regular kids her age. They do not get that she is incapable of doing so. She is stuck at an emotional and social level of about an 8yr old.

difficult child has skin sensitivities, and HATES the uniform. I have gotten some ideas from my general forum post for solving that one. Thank you all. I will try adult section of JCPenny, Sears, and Kmart(although I don't really like this store). At this point if any of these stores have tan/cream/khaki color denim, I am there. :wink: The really dumb thing about the uniform is that it is only for grades 6-8. The high school and elementary schools have regular dress codes. :rolleyes:

Now to the real questions.
1. The school won't change difficult child's eligability from ED to Autism until they have done some testing of their own. The testing they want to do are: for me to fill out a sensory profile on difficult child, Occupational Therapist (OT), PT, and one more I can't remember. Is this normal, even with the clinic difficult child goes to sending the testing results to the school?

2. This school has what they call academic teams. The team I want difficult child put on next year is a very good one, with teachers I know. These teachers have the right attitudes to deal with difficult child. The school doesn't want to put difficult child on that team saying that the team doesn't have special helps or helpers. I thought that was illegal and no matter who the general ed teacher(s) were that the services in difficult child's IEP had to be done. Am I corect? Do they need to get a helper on that team just for difficult child? The school also said that difficult child won't get the kind of help she is getting now in the high school. That says illegal to me.

3. All the goals in difficult child's IEP are based on her doing such and such, but are not really measurable, and there are none for what the teachers are accountable for. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated here.

4. The interventions to help difficult child reach the goals are pretty much non-existent. The school wants difficult child to do all these goals, but have no real helps in place. Example: difficult child will bring needed materials to classes.(This is how it is written). No measurability, no help to get her to do that goal.(difficult child is very forgetful and often leaves things in her disorganized locker.)

5. The school district is stuck on all children using an agenda book. They think that getting difficult child to use it will solve all the forgotten material, forgotten homework, etc. The agenda doesn't work for difficult child because she forgets to write in it. Tried having teacher sign at school and me at home, but didn't work. We did it for a year with no luck at all. Is there an alternative to the agenda for an Aspie?

6. difficult child's needs are: help remembering her materials for class, help in remembering her assignments and bringing home homework and needed materials, organization skills, turning in the completed homework, socialization(specifically non-verbal cue recognition, and sarcasim.), and difficult child has a problem with chewing on EVERYTHING. Chew tube did not work, school won't allow gum. I need help/suggestions for interventions on these please. The school refuses to do anything. I am going to have to tell them what to do.

7. The high school here has a wierd way of teaching. There are two different days, blue and silver. On blue days you go to some classes(ie gym, math, science) and on silver days you go to the other classes(ie choir, social studies, english). Basically you go to each set of classes every other day, which means that on Monday one week you go to silver classes, and Monday the next week you go to blue. The same classes are not on same days each week. I think this is too confusing for an Aspie. What do you think? I am not sure difficult child will be able to handle this. I know this isn't for a year yet(difficult child is 8th next year), but if I am going to have to move her to another school I would rather do it in 8th grade so she has time to adjust before hitting high school.(difficult child does NOT do well with change)

I am new to what interventions are available(or appropriate) to Aspie kids, and any advise would be appreciated.

Mickey2255

I have no idea how she did it but a grandma I know got a gum chewing accommodation in her grandson's IEP but his is just for test taking. So it CAN be done...

If they are stuck on using the agenda book, have each teacher at the end of each class check to see if she's written down what needs to be in there and then ask for someone at the end of the day to check that she brings home what's written in her agenda book.

I do see the value of planners and agenda books and it's something many adult rely on (me included) to a great degree. I bought a cheap Palm Pilot on Ebay and have been having my 10 year old "play" with it. We are close to the point of having him actually USE it to keep track of his schedule, assignments, etc. He LOVES the Palm and it's way cooler than a planner so I'm hoping it won't be such a chore.

Michelle

wakeupcall

Sara, my difficult child has had a gum chewing accommodation in his IEP for several years. So far, we've not had to use it and he doesn't know it's on there, but it gives ME the option to allow him gum if he starts chewing again. He was one who chewed up the sleeves of his shirts, etc. He even chewed his pencils so badly that the elementary teachers would send them home for me to see...they were chewed all the way down to the metal part, so it was half an inch long!! This had to be really bad for his digestive system.

Just this week I've noticed how badly he's chewing again. He's had testing all week and I lay it on that, but he deliberately broke a plastic clothes hanger in fourths and was walking around chewing on it. He's always been very oral.

babybear

This site helped me with a lot of those same questions.

http://www.schoolbehavior.com/

Start with the executive dysfunction articles. Also read an article called confessions of a former rat runner. It shows how traditional beh. mod. programs can backfire for kids with as.

Agenda books are a total joke for my difficult child (also aspergers). I found something neat on amazon that I am hoping will help with organization. It's a digital voice recorder
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digit...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200843750&sr=1-9

I got it as a Christmas gift for her and am hoping to get her to use it for school. I just have to get the right person to suggest it. You know, so it's cool and not a dumb idea from mom!

SaraT

Babybear,

Wow, that is a good site. Thank you. It has given me some ideas. I would never have thought about the color coding, but that might work on my difficult child. I also like the idea of a voice recorder, rather then the agenda book. Maybe I can get the school to provide one.(yeah right, but its a thought lol)

Thank you all for suggestions, I think I will push for the gum, this chewing on plastic and such just isn't safe.

Now I have some ideas and suggestions for solutions. Great armor for next meeting.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have an aspie and in high school he has done well with block scheduling and every other day classes. But he is totally off the chart in IQ measurements. Just no common sense and lots of other aspie-isms.

School can make all sorts of accomodations. Is handwriting an issue? Push the school for an Alphasmart. They are about $200 or so, many schools already have them, and they are indestructible (my son's lasted with him over 3 years!!!) They are a very simple computer that has no games, "folders" for each class, and I think my son's had a scheduling feature, not totally sure.

My little guy is eating his shirts. I haven't been doing laundry, so I didn't discover the extent of it, but we need to hit the thrift store again. ALL of his shirts are either too small or the neck is getting holes. If he would chew gum it would be in his 504. But he hates it!!

As far as gum, it should NOT be a big deal for hte school to add it, it hurts NO ONE.

My son was able to leave class at will for the restroom or to go to the resource (ED) room. IF the class was esp. noisy or rowdy, the teacher often sent him there because they knew he would blow up at home if he didn't get out of there.

PLEASE be careful in releasing info to the school. I have seen many occasions where the schools then used this against the parent and child, and even times where the school used this to make a report to DHS.

I don't see where their testing him will hurt, unless you think they will skew the tests to show he doesn't need services.

Aspergers is a neurological problem, his brain is wired differently. You should be able to get services based on this, and possibly SSI or disability. It is certainly worth trying.

Hugs,

Susie

Calista

Use a different back pack for each block. My easy child is in HS and they also have a block schedule. She has a backpack for each block. She is quite ADD and this helps her with organizing. We also have a calander in her room on the wall and each day is marked either "A" or "B", in your case it will be "S" or "B", with the A classes listed under A and the B classes listed under B. She does her "A" day homework the same day she gets it even though it isn't due for 2 days. This allows her time to go to her teacher the next day to ask questions when needed. She has an ID card for each backpack and an agenda for each backpack (which she doesn't use).:rolleyes:

Have you tried sending a washcloth to chew? There is nothing quite like fabric to chew on, probably why the tube didn't work, so we used to send a washcloth with difficult child and it was great. I just put it in the wash everyday after school and packed a fresh one with his lunch. a Bandana around his wrist might work, too. Plus, maybe it'll look cool and everyone will start to wear one.:winks:

Good Luck!

susiestar

Roll With It
Cloth certainly is my 8yo's fave to chew on. But at 12 I think she might get picked on for chewing on a washcloth. AND the school will likely have a fit about it too.

It might be worth exploring a candy wholesaler to look for candy in various plastic containers, at least for a while. I know one of my cousins used to chew on some candy liquid in a giant pacifier - ALL the girls in her all-girl school did. The school even SOLD it as a fundraiser int he school store!

Do you have an advocate? I think most state dept of ed's offer them for free. Ask on general about who has one and how they found them. I think "educational advocate" and your state should do it in a google search.

I do think if your difficult child smacks the gum or does bubbles with it then maybe it would be distracting. And if she left it under desks, etc.... But otherwise I do not know why it would be so tough to allow.

Other Occupational Therapist (OT) supply places may have items you could use. Also, if you don't have "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" you may want it. It has a LOT of activities that provide sensory input for different needs.

Also, The out of sync child explains a lot about sensory integration disorder. Both are by carol kranowitz.

Hope you can pull the school into line.

susie