Hi, everyone-

I am close to distraught right now. difficult children therapist called and said they have been seeing many of the behaviors we have described since last night. difficult child has threatened a staff member with a needle, threatened to wake all the kids on the unit, kicked a staff member, and hit his therapist. He had to be put in restraints and given some Thorazine to calm him down because he was banging his head on a window. This is almost more than I can take.

His psychiatric tests came back and the therapist said two things stand out quite clearly: He has a thought disorder which causes him to distort reality-she called this Psychosis not otherwise specified, and a Mood Disorder not otherwise specified, which causes his mood to be unstable. She said it can be treated but will require long-term, intensive therapy. What does that mean? and what does this mean for my little boy's future? I guess I'll find out more tomorrow when we meet with his therapist. Right now, he's sleeping from the Thorazine, I guess- they are also taking him onff the Lamictal and putting him on Risperdal. We did try that in the Fall but his psychiatrist at the time took him off it due to anxiety but we're giving it another try.

Right now, my mother's heart is hurting really bad and I just don't understand why this is happening. :sad-very:

Andy

Oh, I feel your hurting heart. Go ahead and cry - you deserve a good long cry.

Then, focus on the fact that your son is getting the help he needs. He is safe and so are you and your family. You KNEW something was not right - YOU did what was needed to be done even though it was the hardest thing you probably ever had to do. You know you are facing some very hard times.

Tell yourself over and over, "This is the right thing to do. This is the right thing to do." Stay strong. Do what you need to do to get through these next few days/weeks. If you need to, take time off of work. For me, when my difficult child was hospitalized, I found that going to work kept me sane - it was my therapy to get through the first week. Let time stop (put all outside duties on hold whenever possible). This is so hard.

Take care of yourself. I will be praying for you1

4sumrzn

Oh...I'm so sorry you are hurting. At least you are seeking help & those professionals will hopefully bring you answers to help you & difficult child. Intensive therapy....that's what we were told. We have not finished all of the evaluations...they are scheduled through October. BUT, the doctor at Cincinnati Children's told us we will need extensive therapies if we want our situation to improve at all. We go for our first Occupational therapy this week plus another evaluation that may be more helpful. difficult child has only been receiving therapy through school up until now.

Hang in there. Many {{{HUGS}}}

Christy

So sorry. (((hugs)))

I hope the doctors can find a medication combo that will offer difficult child and you some peace.

My thoughts are with you,
Christy

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
<<<HUGS>>> so sorry, but it is probably good they're seeing what you've been living with, it's documented and I am not sure where you live, but here in NJ we have county/state services for help, I get free in home counseling once a week for difficult child II and difficult child I, and I have a behavioral assistant for 6 hours a week for difficult child II, also free. I would look to see if you have a Family support Organization for your county? They may be able to help you find available resources.

Praying for you, and hang in there, go get a manicure or pedicure or something just for you!

BusynMember

What test did he take? The MMPI?
My advice is "don't give up" and, when he gets out, before you doom this precious little guy, take him for another opinion. Yes, even hospitals have been known to be wrong (it's not uncommon). Do YOU think he has a thought disorder? This would mean he hallucinates like seeing things that are not there. Or he thinks the radio is sending him messages. Or he doesn't think reality is real.
I'm a "never give upper." I'd never accept that diagnoses until other professionals agreed with it. I'd take him to a neuropsychologist to see if there are any underlying Neurological reasons for his behavior...that is something they would miss at a psychiatric hospital. Unfortunately every doctor is so specialized now. Psychiatrists often know nothing about Neurological disorders and Neurologists don't know about psychiatric disorders. NeuroPsychs know and evaluate for both.
Lastly, I wouldn't really trust a regular therapist to diagnose, if she was the one who did it.
Your child is very young. My son was misdiagnosed twice. Cry...you earned it. But, please, go for another opinion. Sometimes extreme behavior looks like a psychiatric problem--even a severe one--when it's really something else. (((Hugs)))

B

butterflydreams

<<<<HUGS>>>>

I am sorry that your mommy heart is hurting. At least you now know that your son will get the help he needs. Hopefully they will find a medication combo that will provide some help and he can get a therapist or whatever other professional to help. You knew something wasn't right, and now you can get some answers and help.

Good luck.

Christy

TerryJ2

{{{hugs}}}
It sounds like they're working with him and he is safe. It also sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you, depending upon what sort of thought disorder they mean. Couldn't they be more specific? At any rate, I'd focus more on the idea that it is treatable.
Do you have a mtng set up with-them? That must be so frustrating. Are you allowed to visit him?

slsh

member since 1999
Chris, a gentle hug for your hurting heart.

I think it's good to have an idea now of what you're dealing with. I have to admit to being *very* impressed that they picked up on the distorted thinking - this has been an ongoing issue with thank you forever and it really wasn't specifically addressed in evaluations until about 3 years ago though heaven knows it's been pretty plain for years. I think this will be excellent information to have as therapy evolves over the years.

Please, don't start to fret about your sweet boy's future. thank you was also 6 when we finally got on the right road in terms of diagnosis and medication. Where he's at today is no where close to what I imagined back then - part of it is better, part worse, but all of it was really completely impossible for me to have accurately pictured in 1997.

I'm so so *so* sorry they had to restrain and sedate him. I know it just breaks your heart. I'm glad he's in a safe environment now and hope that they will be able to come up with a treatment plan that will help him grow.

Hang in there, Chris. Another hug to you.

Bugsy

Oh Chris,

I am so sorry for your pain. It can get better. I wish I could tell you the magic answer/ combination of medications and therapy. I wish I could magic away the worry.

I keep looking at it this way every time another diagnosis is added to the mix. I already know my son is different. I already know he struggles. I already know the stress and pain. So what's the difference what you call it. I tell each person that I need to fill in, His diagnosis is mood disorder-not otherwise specified/ADHD but is name is ****. Your son is the same child that you had a week ago. Now they just came up with some words to describe the behavior.
The words sound scary and serious. But those words may be the first step in getting the help he needs and deserves. Those words can help with medicare/medicaid insurance, with therapy services, with school services, with hospital services, etc.

I still struggle with the WHY is this happening?, how is this real? there must be an answer! How can it be?

I know we live close to each other. Perhaps we can meet one day or talk on the phone.

You and your son are in my thoughts,
Bugsy's mom

Steely

My advice is "don't give up" and, when he gets out, before you doom this precious little guy, take him for another opinion. Yes, even hospitals have been known to be wrong (it's not uncommon). Do YOU think he has a thought disorder? This would mean he hallucinates like seeing things that are not there. Or he thinks the radio is sending him messages. Or he doesn't think reality is real.
My son was 6, your son' age, when they diagnosis him with the EXACT same diagnosis. I took MWM's advice, and sought more counsel. I refused to accept the bleak reality they painted for my son.
He is now 17, and although he has faced, and still faces a zillion hurdles - he is nowhere near the picture the docs painted.
NEVER give up your Mommy hope, and your Mommy clarity. Keep pressing forward with your own instincts.

Risperdal is a good medication - but it is an AP used for smoothing the rough edges of a person's extremes. Are they also going to start him on a mood stabilizer that will help target more long term his ups and downs? Something like Depakote or Tegretol?

Sending you so many, many hugs..........I know how hard this is. I cried myself to sleep for days when my son was put in restraints, and knocked out with Thorazine. It is the worst feeling of helplessness, ever.

This too will pass, and you will sort out what his true diagnosis is, and get him the right help, and the right medications.

witzend

Oh, honey... I have to agree with everything everyone said. It seems like a bit of conflicting advice, but it's not really. Be glad that they are seeing behaviors, get a second opinion, don't give up. But mostly, use this time to de-stress yourself and your husband and get yourself ready to learn more about mental health issues than you ever thought you would need to.

And it's not too early to get on the Early Childhood board and ask for advice on what to do about school next year. I'm sure that they will be able to offer advice on how to get referrals for help before your son is released from the hospital.

smallworld

I'm sorry for your hurting mommy heart. This has to be very difficult for you. But the very behaviors you saw that sent you to seek help are the very behaviors that are being seen in the psychiatric hospital and are getting your difficult child a diagnosis that will led to help.

Risperdal is an atypical antipsychotic that treats the distorted thinking. That's why the docs are prescribing it. But if it doesn't work like the last time, there are other atypical antipsychotics that might work better. medication trials unfortunately take a lot of time. Because your difficult child also has a diagnosis of Mood Disorder-not otherwise specified, he may need a mood stabilizer in addition to an atypical antipsychotic. First-line mood stabilizers are Lithium, Depakote, Lamictal, Trileptal and Tegretol.

Hang in there. We're here for you.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I know this must be scary. The good thing is he is getting the help he needs. Sending gentle hugs to your hurting heart.

I would never "doom" my son to anything. A thought disorder can run on a long spectrum- his does not include anything visual or audio-but it does unclude not perceiving things as they are. We have seen a neurologist and there is nothing wrong there.

Thanks, Steely, and everyone else for your kind thoughts- the psychiatrist said that when there is a diagnosis of any type of psychosis they treat that first and then they will deal with the mood disorder with Depakote or something else. He is still undetermined as to how much of a role the mood disorder is playing here.

Nancy

It sounds like your son is in good hands and he will be getting the help he needs. I know that you are worried and scared but at least the doctors are seeing what you have been living with and now they can help him. I don't believe any diagnosis is a doom, I believe it opens doors to getting help. If you have confidence in these doctors trust that they will help figure this out.

Sending hugs of support.

Nancy

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am coming in late here. But I wanted to add my support for you, no matter what his diagnosis ends up being.
You will get through this, we will all get through this... all of us here! We have to.
I just wanted to let you know that my soon to be 7 yo is considered to have Bipolar Disorder with Psychotic Tendencies, Hallucinations and oh so much more...
She has been delusional for a couple of weeks, thinks she is reincarnated and not a part of this world. This has been going on and off for almost 2 years now. Only getting worse. She was Hospitalized for 5 weeks last summer. I felt she was too young to stay over night, so I moved into a hotel next to the Hospital and she came "home" and spent the night with me.
She honeymooned almost the whole time she was there! Because they had rewards, deserts lots of fun. It was all fun and games. In hindsight, I was wrong to bring her back to the Hotel, she exploded and hallucinated every night. I had the front desk worrying about me. But I was so scared for her and my family, I still am, but now I know a little bit more and have learned from coming here. Hearing from other's experiences.

She needed it though. We learned a lot, about ourselves and our little girl.
As far as her diagnosis, I am scared for her future, but it is just a diagnosis. It is only a part of who she is. We still need to embrace each and every day and realize she is still a special little girl and did not ask for this.
I have been trying so hard to keep seeing the beauty in her even when she is lost in her own mind, and consumed with violence, unable to control herself.
I myself have Bipolar Disorder, I was not diagnosis'd until I was older, but it explains so much from when I was younger. It is a hard road if this is his diagnosis, but with the right support you your family can get through this. Support is key.