Video Report: Living with Childhood Mental Illness

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I saw this last night during our local 10pm news broadcast. The mom of this family could have been one of our own here because her story is the same as many of the ones we read here daily.

The only issue I have is that they seem to suggest that ALL kids with mental illness are violent and dangerous. And as we all know, this is absolutely not true. It's not fair to everyone to equate events like Columbine with all kids with "manic depression" (another beef I have -- it's referred to as bipolar now).

I guess it's better than no PR at all. But more needs to be done to reduce and eventually eliminate the stigma.

maril

I respect the family for sharing their story and hope it will shed some light for those that suffer in silence. The mom is an inspiration. I feel so for her lovely young girls, who suffer, and am glad that they have good support and treatment.

Learning about illness and treatment helps dispel some of the fear and myths; it has in my personal experience and I've been given a new perspective.