Video shows Dallas bus driver choking student

Cathyliz

aka Superwoman
AS a parent who's child was beaten up on the school bus (by another student) while in middle school (WITH an aide onboard and the camera NOT working) this outrages me. This was the regular bus. He's on a Special Education bus now and so far so good, but it's only been a week and a half (we're still in honeymoon phase). Seriously, that brought tears to my eyes. I'd love to get in touch with that mother. She's not alone.

Cathy in CO
Robin, 15, ADHD, bipolar (possibly Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), ODD, Aspergers), abilify, invega, allergy medications
Randy, 13, probably ADD, no medications
Rob, husband

Steely

OK - This could perhaps be even more scary. It was not on my local Dallas news last night. That bothers me - I can clearly see where we as a city place our priorities now.

trinityroyal

It's horrible! I am outraged.

Around here, the turnover rate for school bus drivers is astonishing. It's at the point where they offer signing bonuses!!! and all sorts of perks for people to become school bus drivers. What they don't provide is adequate training or resources for the drivers.

So...we're constantly faced with new, inexperienced drivers who don't have the right training in safe restraints and de-escalating situations...and they're the ones driving our difficult children and other special needs children to and from school every day.

And Steely, I agree with you. The fact that this story WASN'T on your local news is very telling.