violent statements UPDATE

nlg319

Well, I am pretty sure that the statements were related to facing a night of bad dreams...The other night he chose the book The Velveteen Rabbit, one of my favorites. If you know the story, you'll know that the rabbit has to be taken out of the nursery and "burned" along with the little boy's other belongings because the boy had Scarlet Fever. Well...that just got him so upset. I was foolish not to edit my reading, but able to make up for it because the story does have a happy ending. So, after reassuring him that the boy and the rabbit wil be together and happy, he was able to settle down. Then he came out up with this brilliant idea! He asked if we could put some pictures up on his wall of "happy stuff" for him to look at as he falls asleep! I almost cried! So, the next day, we put some of his art work from camp on his wall...and last night he was able to fall asleep with those images in his head!

I was so proud of him for thinking of such a clever idea!

tiredmommy

I'm relieved it isn't a psychiatric issue coming out. Kudos to difficult child for coming up with such a great idea! :smile:

Liahona

That is a great idea. I'm going to try that with difficult child 1. It won't stop the nightmares, but maybe it'll help a bit.

When my boy was five, he would cry toward the end of the day and talk about how his father was dead or how he didn't want Daddy to die. I can't remember the exact phrasing that the psychiatrist used, but it basically was all chalked up to anxiety. At six and a half, he'll still sometimes look at me and say, I don't want to hurt you, Mommy, and things like that.

General reassurance was really all I could do. He didn't/doesn't have the verbal skills or insight to know why he was stressed about Daddy dying or me being hurt. So I'd just go with Daddy is fine; I just talked to him. We'll see him very soon, really, and things like that. The death talk pretty much faded away and now I'm just left with wishes about me not being hurt and the like.

Mind you, this is a child who, before medications, would rage at me and say he was going to kill me while he was throwing his trains up against the wall, so perhaps he was/is experiencing remorse for some of his thoughts as well as being affected by his dreams. And yes, mine still has disturbing dreams. His poor little brain is trying so hard to cope with all the stimuli it receives.

The medications have helped a lot, but the anxiety didn't really start to go away until we pulled him out of his whole day private school and put him in a three-hour public school program so he could spend a lot more time at home and just, in general, be less stressed. Good luck!

Oh, and definitely edit your entertainment selections! Happy, peaceful stuff only!