vyvanse: weekend medication vacations?

Arttillygirl

I was wondering if anyone gives their child or themselves a weekend break while taking vyvanse? I won't be seeing my dr. for awhile and was just curious. I know many who take addrall and ritalin give themselves weekend/vacation breaks.
Thanks

B

My son didn't do well with Vyvanse. He did well with Adderall, then after 3 years we switched him to Focalin.

I've forgotten to give him his medications on the weekend. It doesn't take long for me to realize he didn't take it. I can't let mine not take his. I don't know if it's withdrawal or he desperately needs it to pay attention but he's wired and almost uncontrollable.

susiestar

Roll With It
How does HE feel when he doesn't take his medications? My difficult child hated the idea of not taking his medications, from age 7 when he started. He could think and focus, and he liked that.

I know for years medication vacations were prescribed because there was concern about growth issues. but research has shown that this is not needed except in very rare cases.

What will it do to your family life if he is unmedicated on the weekends? Will you be able to enjoy him? to have a better family life? I know many families that HATE having the child unmedicated on weekends because it destroys any chance of positive family time. but I am sure there are families that are the other way too.

I don't know much about vyvanse, but I know iwth ritalin and adderall the psychiatrists always left it up to us - though they said if difficult child was in sports or other activities that happened on weekends it might make them much harder and much less positive experiences.

Just my .02

susie

KTMom91

When we first changed to Miss KT's current doctor, he wanted her on a medication vacation from Ritalin during Christmas vacation. It was beyond awful. in my opinion, it puts the kids on a roller coaster ride that they can't get off of, and I wouldn't do it again.

smallworld

I think it depends on the symptoms you're treating and how the child acts without medications. My son, who has only inattention (and not hyperactivity/impulsivity), did fine with medication vacations from ADHD stimulants. We always skipped medications on weekends (if he didn't have a lot of homework), school vacations and the summer.

JJJ

I think it depends on the kid. Eeyore is miserable without his stims. Piglet just gets very spacy, so if she doesn't have an activity, we do give her a day off with her docs encouragement.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree it depends on the child. We don't give easy child her Vyvanse on weekends or in the summer. For her it's know problem.