Want to move out of Illinois-South I believe.

Jody

Hi, things are not going well right now with my difficult child and I. She does not want to come home, she wants to stay with her foster family. I want to move out of state, where the weather will be easier for me and better with my arthritis and fibromyalgia. I live in Illinois now. I just want to leave. I had wanted difficult child to come home and maybe we could have a new start. It's not going to happen. I don't know what the state of Illinois is going to do to me if I do leave.

I am always thinking the Carolinas somewhere even though I have never been there. I want to be able to drive to the ocean at least once a week, so it can't be that far away. Can anyone in that area tell me what the job situation is. I do clerical, and switchboard type of work. Nothing on my feet with my knees needing replaced. What is the cost of a 1 bedroom apartment in your area? My landlord just told me he's selling the building that I moved into in April and I will have to move by April 1st. Wasn't expecting that but I am ready to get out of here.

witzend

I do understand what you are feeling, and have felt this way more than once in my life. I think that the best way for you to start with this would be to ask the state what the consequences of your moving would be. That way you can make an informed decision having weighed all of the facts.

Jody

Thanks Witz. I am all about the spontaneous and doing before thinking. LOL almost never a good thing with major decisions. I am also a Sagitarius and have that wander fever terrible. I am 45 now and I really want to do this. What if you get laid off in this state can you get unemployment if another state? I would think so the way people travel looking for jobs.

DammitJanet

You can get the unemployment. I know that. I know someone who did.

Clerical work would be pretty easy to find and a one bedroom apt would run you about $350 to $400 in my town for a very nice one. At the beach it would be a little bit more. If you look around you can get really nice places that arent apartment buildings but cottages or little duplex's and they are better deals. In the beginning you might want to live in one of those pay by the week places while you find the perfect place. They have tons of them. Look on Craigslist for apartments and jobs.

H

HaoZi

All I can say is don't consider Florida. Georgia has a reasonable cost of living and plenty of coastlines.

DDD

We live in a mid Florida town. You'd think it would be cheap but a 2 BR apartment runs between $600 and $700...with-o utilities included. I think that Ga. or the Carolinas would have more job opportunities and less expensive housing. Good luck. DDD

InsaneCdn

"Less expensive" is a relative term... 2 BR apt here is like 1100... really dank dark basement 2 br would be 800+...
SO... don't move to the frozen northlands called Canada!

Jody

Some of the housing in North Carolina looks really affordable. I looked in Stateville and Raleigh area. Now just a job, and go visit and see if it's somewhere I am interested in. I have been wanting to do this for years. Have to find a place to rent that will take a big dog.

DammitJanet

I live in Lumberton but not many jobs. You might want to really look in major markets like Greenville, New Hanover County, Cumberland County, Onslow County. You might even consider Florence SC because that is only about 45 minutes to Myrtle Beach.

JJJ

If daughter's legal dad is still an Illinois resident, DCFS shouldn't care that you leave, as long as he is still a resident.

KTMom91

I would recommend California...if we weren't running with such a high unemployment rate. From Central CA you're only three hours from the beach, two to Yosemite, and an hour away from the Sierras.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm in Columbia, SC.

It inhales violently. Our unemployment rate is 3rd highest in the nation. Jobs are not "hard" to find - depending on what you want to or don't want to do, and how much your budget is. McDonalds hires college graduates here......because they can for min. wage.

The cost of housing is around $600 - $700 a month - you'd really be better off to buy if you could. The cost of living is fair. Could be me, but I've not yet met a true friend I would trust with my DOG.

I lost my job for 1.5 years.......went through WIA for a CDL license, and got a job at a Goodwill. If DF didn't get disability? We'd be homeless.

However - the beach is lovely, and everything is about 1.5 hours away - The mountains, the beach, North Carolina, Georgia, and there is a ton of history here, and the weather is HOT AS HADES from about March to November. If you like hot - were your next destination.

Too bad you arent' in Ohio - I'd trade you houses. lol. I want out of here so badly I could scream.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I will also add ----------YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT if you put your mind to it.

(just so you didn't think I'm a negative nelly) -

Jody

Star you are too funny. I would not trust anyone with my dog, ever. He goes with me!!!! I am a little crazy about my dog!!!! Thanks for the info!!! I am getting really excited about the move. I am having my knee replaced March 28th, so I won't go until after that. Just not sure where though.

DammitJanet

Im not as fond of SC as I am of NC and VA. Yes VA is in the south...lol. I have to keep reminding people of that! I feel I can say this as I have lived in all three states. NC and VA have beautiful coasts and mountains however I dont think you want the mountains. If I were you, (and we have similar things wrong with us so I can sort of relate), I would stay around the I95 corridor and east. I wouldnt go any further north than Richmond VA on 95 and no further south than Florence SC. No further west than Raleigh NC because that is putting you about 3 hours to the beach on an interstate. Charlotte is closer 4.5

everywoman

Unlike Star and Janet-I love SC! I live in a little coastal town-15 minutes from door to shore. Cost of living is cheap. Salaries are low-but there are jobs avaiable.

DammitJanet

Well I like your area EW but that is a very small area! I loved the Strand back in the early 80's before it became a year round tourist trap. It was a wonderful place to live during the off season so you could put up with it during the on season. Now you can hardly get through the tourist traffic no matter what the time it is. I enjoy going down now but I know what I am getting into. Every once in awhile I wish I had kept my mom's place down there but then I look at the traffic and think I probably did the right thing. Though maybe right now I wouldnt have this problem with Buck..but we probably would anyway.

Jody

Okay anyone know much about Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh area? I am finding some jobs in the clerical area. I have a lot of experience there and am finding some affordable housing. ANy information would be appreciated. Not as close to the ocean as I would like but, its a heck of a lot closer than Illinois.

DammitJanet

I know a lot about that area. You would be about 2 hours from me. Good medical care. Excellent medical care actually. Dont go for living in Durham though. Not as nice. Neighborhoods around Raleigh and Chapel Hill such as Cary, and others I cant even think of right now because its almost 2 am are what are known as bedroom communities and they are wonderful. When you hit I 40 out of the RDU area you can head straight east and be in Wilmington in about 2 to 3 hours flat. Not bad for a weekend getaway. And that is all interstate and 70 the whole way.