Warning - Movie on Saturday night

DammitJanet

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN come on TNT Saturday night I believe and it is a truly awful movie for difficult child's to watch. I blame Cory viewing this movie for his start into check forgery. This movie glorifies a man doing a bunch of forging checks and then he ends up working for the Secret Service.

He ended up forging massive amounts of money which simply couldnt happen these days but kids dont understand that. All they see is easy money and the bad guy gets rich and then gets off.

Do not let kids watch this movie if you can avoid it!!!!!!

TerryJ2

Okie dokey.
Although my difficult child has watched similar movies ... it's best when we either walk in and out of the room and make comments ... "Oh, the immoral thief is at it again, eh?" or if we actually sit there and watch with-him.
It sometimes has a better effect if I get all bent of out shape and cover my eyes ... "I can't watch. He's doing something awful. How many people will he hurt?" It seems like a better reaction for my difficult child to understand the victim's response than just a lecture about how Hollywood glorifies evil, and at the very least, bad behavior.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Janet--

Regarding this particluar movie...I think it's easist just to point out the difficulty of duplicating this crime today.

For one thing, Frank (the main character) grew up working in his father's stationary store. He was already an expert in papers and printing by the time he was 16 years old.

Second, you can no longer purchase "used" printing equipment to duplicate bank checks.

Third, security features are now built into even personal checks--it is pretty hard to glue a decal onto a piece of paper and make it look "official".

Lastly, Frank became an asset to the FBI because of his unique experience and expertise. If you want to forge a check...you're going to be caught and prosecuted just like every other check forger out there. What special talent do you have that makes you any different?

Point out the realities...

That should help.

klmno

Thanks, Janet. Although my difficult child isn't home now, I do get what you're saying. I know it never took very much for him to get "bright" ideas in his head. Like the ex-neighbor who told me in fron t of difficult child that her son had taken off on his bicycle and rode 10 miles to downtown and they couldn't find him when he was about 10yo. Well, then what does my son try to do? Telling him how bad of an idea that was, especially in this day and age, just seemed to make that much more of a challenge for him.

As far as check writing- when he was 12yo I found one of my checks that he'd torn out of my checkbook hidden. It was made out to him and signed by him (he had no clue) and was for something like $100,000. He must have given up when he wasn't sure what to write in the area where you spell the amount out. Of course the handwriting being by a kid was obvious, too. Yeah- like the bank would hand him 100,000 for that even if I'd had that amount in my account.

shellyd67

Thanks for the tip Janet ... Not to get on a soapbox here but your post makes me think of something that has been bothering me lately. difficult child is 10 and easy child is 7 and the majority of TV shows they watch have very smart mouthed kids who are disrepectful to their parents and eachother. The boys act stupid and they girls have such an attitude. I am very particular with what the kids can watch and have pointed out some bad behaviors from the "actors". Just saying ... wish the development and production teams had a little more sense ....

susiestar

Roll With It
Regardless of the difficulties in forging checks, many of our difficult children would be positive that they wouldn't be caught. It is part of their stinkin' thinkin'.

It may be based on reality, but it doesn't mean that it won't give people ideas to try that they shouldn't. Being based on reality would likely get Wiz to think it was far better to try than some of his other ideas.

Thanks for the warning, Janet. If nothing else it helps us be aware of what out kids are watching!

DammitJanet

I know it was based on a true story and that made it even a worse movie.

You can bet your sweet patootie that I was pointing out throughout the entire movie how it couldnt be done in today's world and everything else I could think of but the minute we realized what it was about but Tony and I knew this was such a bad thing. All Cory heard was "checks" blah blah blah. "easy money" blah blah blah"

Didnt hear a thing we had to say.

Need I mention my son has 4 forgery convictions?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee can't even watch WWE...

Die Hard is one of my favorite movies, and the one time he saw that, he ran around for a week being "John McClain". lol He had a doctor's appointment and crawled under the rows of chairs, pretending he was in the ventilation system....