Watch 20/20 tonight!

DammitJanet

I just watched it with baited breath. I thought they did a fantastic job. Any of those kids could be our kids. I really thought of our Totoro's K with the little girl with Wednesday and Tuesday.

I thought the guy who did the interviewing with the girls was great with them. He really got to know them and built a rapport.

Even so, I cried the whole way through it.

LittleDudesMom

Janet, I agree - I thought the reporter/interviewer came from a place of gentleness and understanding.

I think one of the things that struck me the most was near the beginning of the store. I think it was Janey, where they showed her as a baby in her mother's arms in the middle of the night. On several occasions, as most new parents do, they had the camcorder running. The baby was constantly staring intently at things moving across the ceiling or the walls. It sent chills up my spine to realize this child, even at 2 months was so tortured.....

Sharon

DDD

I watched about 90% of the show and found it riveting. The Warrior Parents, the impact on siblings, the rollercoaster of mental health services and the altered lifestyle was painful to watch. What I didn't see was how they finally ended up with residential treatment help. Was that explained?

A little off the wall, I know, there seemed to be similarities
in the descriptions of "being watched" "in danger" etc. from unseen entities to those found on Paranormal Children. It occurred to me that maybe some of these tormented kids have sensitivies to the presence of spirits. I've seen the mentors on that program help young girls and boys take control of spirits and regain a sense of peace. No, I am not
denying the mental illness in any way but thought that some of them may have heightened sensitivies to those who are deceased but have not "moved on". Hope that doesn't sound too weird. Just wondering. DDD

donna723

DDD, I was thinking exactly the same thing! I'm certainly not denying that mental illness is present in these children, but I live in a very old house and my DOGS have followed things that 'weren't there' with their eyes while they moved around the room, up the walls and across the ceiling! They did exactly what that baby was doing and once there were two of them watching the same thing at the same time, their little heads moving in perfect unison as they followed what ever it was! I watch the show about the Paranormal Children all the time and the difference between them and these children is that they all seem perfectly 'normal' and functioning otherwise, where these kids obviously do not. Maybe this is some type of combination of the two, where a child with some psychic abilities and sensitivities already also has a severe mental illness. So very sad for those kids and their families too, but fascinating all the same.

And I also can't help remembering when my daughter was a baby the same age as the girl they showed as a baby, the one staring at the ceiling. When my daughter did that, turned out she was having a seizure.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Brenna's mom has a blog.

Jani (short for "January") and Brenna's stories were covered locally about 6 months ago. This story appears to be an update on their stories since then. I am exhausted just thinking about the stress those families are under on a daily basis. Reminds me of many CD families here. We've only just had a fraction of the instability these poor kids have been dealing with their whole lives.

I hope that this story helps generate more support for mental health programs. It puts a very real face to the situation. I also thought it was powerful to compare the homeless "crazyman" on the corner in Westwood (near UCLA) to the potentiality of these kids' fates. People need to understand that if we continue to ignore or undermine support for mental health, the consequences for affected individuals AND our whole society are dire.

Last edited:

DDD

Donna, I'm so glad my thought didn't come across in the wrong
way. Phew/Whew! It might not be a valid point for most of the children but if it's true of even a few then it seems worth
considering or exploring.

I'm so happy that those two families finally found help. DDD

M

ML

I watched about 20 minutes of it and cried the entire time. DDD, I think our kids truly are exceptionally sensitive on every level and don't doubt they would be the ones to pick up on such things if anyone would.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
husband and I just sat in silence watching it. We had seen the first little girls story a few months ago on Oprah.
The 2 young ones hit home and took my breath away at points.
I cried throughout the show.
Afterward husband and I talked and both feel K can slip so easily either way. She has so many of the mannerisms of both of those girls. Her fairies and delusions luckily are things she can "deal" with at this point...
It was very hard to watch. K can be oblivious to reality and the world lost in her own place, and then other times she sort of just seems normal.
Mental Illness is very treatable, for some, I realize this but when you have seen many people in your own family loose their grip on reality and give up or never have the ability to try, it gives you a different kind of desperate urgency with your own child. Right or wrong, I suppose.

I feel for those families and any one else dealing with Mental Illness. Finding help shouldn't be so hard.

unsure

I watched as well and it made me appreciate my children that much more and opened my eyes to how difficult some people really have it. I need to be more greatful for what my children are capable of and appreciate them instead of getting so annoyed.
(HUGS) to those who go through this type of daily experience. As I know it's not much for the hurdles you leap, but I see things differently now and hope you get the support and care you need for your beautiful children.