WE ARE DONE!!!!!! Update

donna723

It does sound like you're making progress. How can you be sure that he doesn't have any new accounts that he didn't tell you about - since there has been so many things that he didn't tell you! And it's not just your assets you need to worry about - it's your liabilities too! That's when it can get complicated because the bills have to be divided up too! Could he have borrowed any money that you don't know about, or opened up any new charge accounts or credit cards?

Just please don't sign ANYTHING until your lawyer has looked it over first, and even then I would insist on signing it in the lawyers' presence. I still seriously question having one attorney work out the details for the two of you. When they do that, they're basically just filling out the paperwork, going by what you tell them, whether it's fair or not. He's just writing down what he assumes you've agreed to. A shared attorney will not specifically be looking out for YOUR best interests, and personally, I wouldn't trust your soon-to-be ex as far as I could throw him!

DDD

Hey, old friend, do you mind me "playing Mother" for a minute??
Can't help but worry a bit about you, lol.

Do not have a beer, a glass of wine or a single Cutty if you are
going to take a Lunesta. Please. It's a bad dangerous combo.

Do make sure the attorney is on YOUR side. I shared one to save
money with Ex. It cost me in the long run.

Last, but not least, :rofl: are you absolutely positive that the
stalking girlfriend isn't Wingnut????????

Have a nice evening. Hugs. DDD

svengandhi

OK -

I am really sorry it has come down to this but your WH sounds like he has one hell of a whacked up midlife crisis going on there. Is he abusing any drugs or alcohol or the like? Does he have a brain tumor?

I am going to give you some advice and I hope that you follow it. Call all three credit services and put a fraud alert on your name - this will allow you to be notified if anybody tries to obtain credit in your name or do anything to your account. Also, have the credit card companies close out your current accounts and issue you cards with new numbers. Have them mailed to a safe place, not your house. This will prevent him and his ho from using your credit cards.

Also, don't be too sure about him not being able to sell the house out from under you. My WH is a real estate attorney but before that he was a mortgage broker. One of the first deals he did wound up in court. He had no idea that the woman with the man who was selling the property was NOT his wife. She knew the answers - wife's date of birth, wife's SSN, etc. and had the wife's driver's license (my state did not have photo licenses back then). He sold the house using his ho as a stand-in for the wife. My WH was not involved in the lawsuit because he had not vetted the papers or anything, but it really puts the fear into you. SO, my suggestion is that you contact your mortgage company and all realtors in town and tell them that your home is NOT on the market and that they should contact you should anyone try to list it or get a mortgage on it (the other deal is they take out a second mortgage or a home equity loan to reduce the value of your half of the house).

Open a new account in a different bank - go there, do not do it online and transfer over half of all the money in your joint account. Keep the paperwork at your office and a copy someplace safe.

And out this ho wherever you can. At her work, to her family, to anyone who might think less of her if you do.

This is war, Karen, and you want to be the winner!

donna723

This is all really good advice! And remember too, it can take a loooong time to get a divorce! Mine took fifteen months to be final. You need to plan for "contingencies", what all could happen before this is all over and settled.

Being realistic, you never know when a new woman may come in to his life. And men will do some really stupid, selfish things trying to please a new woman that they have become dependent on. Just because you think he would never stoop low enough to do a something, doesn't mean that he WON'T do it when he is being influenced by some new woman! The one my ex took up with apparently taught him all the finer points of using other peoples Social Security numbers - including those of his own son! Two years ago we found out that he had used our sons SSN to run up bills he never intended to pay! I never would have dreamed that he would do something like that, but he did!

Just be very, VERY careful. Don't take his word for anything.

Marguerite

You've had some good advice, Karen.

When you say "we will sit down with the attorney," I hope you mean you and your brother in law. DO NOT include your hubby with the same attorney. He has to find his own.

It doesn't matter that you agreed it will be amicable - it still can be, it's HIS choice. Because your attorneys can't do anything without your permission (and his attorney can't try anything on without HIS permission).

I've said all along, this sounds so much like my sister's situation. He husband had been tomcatting around for years, it was about year 26 or 27 she caught HIM out - similar contrived stories, only his mistresses were literally across the world. And my sister was working two jobs to pay the phone bill, as well as many other things, because his business simply wasn't doing too well right then (lying toad).

When my ex-brother in law was caught out, he agreed to leave (eventually). While he was feeling guilty (and secretly rejoicing that his business was booming), he agreed to let my sister keep the house, as long as she kept paying the mortgage. They split their possessions - a lot of stuff that was shared, she was happy to let him have because it just wasn't her style. He kept the business - she couldn't run his trade, anyway. At the time it looked like a very generous split and she wasn't going to make a fuss, but thankfully my parents made her get them to put it in writing, because he did come back at a later stage wanting a share in the house after all. And because they had separate lawyers, no loopholes had been accidentally built into the paperwork. So he began to shaft her in other ways - small country town, she mentions she's thinking of selling a piano. So he sends a friend of his along (doesn't mention he's a friend - she found out later) who makes what he claims is a generous offer. She later finds out he paid about a tenth of what he should have.
A conman often has conmen for friends.

My ex-brother in law was initially feeling very generous, in attempting to salve his conscience. But it doesn't last. You need your own lawyer from the word go, to shield you against the day (from what you tell of him, it will be soon) when he no longer feels regret, he's just annoyed that you've thrown him out and are being so hard-hearted about it all (his point of view).

Nail things in place now. But make sure he has his own lawyer.

And if you haven't told the kids, how have you explained that Daddy is living with Uncle Jenny? And I'd love to know what Uncle Jenny thought about a drunken, distraught (allegedly non-existent) girlfriend in his bed next morning...

Have a good weekend, in spite of all this. Or maybe because of all this. Be good to yourself. It's time someone was.

Marg

scent of cedar

If this is a mid-life crisis Karen...do you feel any sense of responsibility to husband?

Whenever I am really ready to chuck this whole being married thing, I always come back to that "duty" piece.

But then, where was he when his duty to you was to stand by you while you helped your parents. :mad:

Still, a husband is a husband.

Is there any way you could see this marriage being saved?

If there really is no way to save it, then you need to move forward as the others of us have suggested ~ powerfully and without regret.

But 27 years is 27 years....

Barbara

TerryJ2

It isn't just that he had an affair, Barbara. Several people here have been through that and are still married. It's his overall behavior. Eg, as you pointed out, how he neglected to stand by Karen when she was helping her parents.
We can only go by what you've told us, Karen, but husband's overall character seems to go beyond this affair, in that he is behaving irresponsibly overall, which I see as a reflection of what he may have been doing for years.
Correct me if I am wrong, Karen.
Basically, I don't see husband sitting down and discussing any of this with-you eye-to-eye. I see him running around like a child, putting the blame on you, whining to you instead of saying, "What can I do to help," making up excuses, and generally making things worse.
If he is having a midlife crisis, then he will surely want to sow his wild oats, try things he's never done b4, buy things he's never had, but he needn't make your life worse while he's doing it. Give him the ph# to a good counselor.

nvts

I felt for a little while that 27 years is a long time and that all efforts need to be made. But then Karen made it really clear that she's just short of "stepped out of herself" to make him happy - and never with any sort of acknowledgement.

They were always doing what he wanted, buying what he wanted, heck - she was excited that she and easy child went shopping after knucklehead moved out and bought food that THEY liked!!! I really feel that she made it clear that this clown has been horsing around as an adult, and she's made ALL of the adult efforts.

Stand by husband? I think she's been stood ON by husband. I applaud her courage to strike out for a life that she'll enjoy. God knows it seems like it's time!

Thinking about you often!!!!

Beth

Marguerite

Barbara, my husband & I have been married nearly 30 years. We've had some rough times but stood by each other all the way, through things that would torture any other marriage.

In this time I've seen a number of marriages break up - friends and family. With some I feel frustrated, I'm sure they could have been saved. All that it would have taken in so many cases is some patience, some communication and some honesty.

And some marriages I've also seen break-up and I think, "How did they stay together as long as they did?" and just want to stand up and cheer.

We are taught that marriage is sacred, but sometimes even though the words have been said years before to a preacher and the papers have been signed, it never was a marriage properly. Or it stopped being a marriage, long before anyone takes out those pieces of paper and says, "are these still worth anything?"

I have a long-term friend who has been married three times. Superficially, in the eyes of the church, this is scandalous. But her first husband went psychotic and tried to kill her, numerous times. It's hard to keep loving the man who has designs on your life.
Her second husband married her not out of love (it turned out years later) but because she had a pre-teen daughter he wanted. He had married the daughter, not the mother. I do not consider that anyone could call that a marriage, in the eyes of God. That marriage ended when the mother found out. Ten years - all a lie.
She is now good friends with her first husband but both have moved on. This happens. I wish them well. I am not critical of her for either divorce - she did try to save both marriages - foolishly the second time, in my opinion.

This does have to be Karen's decision, but I think she has decided, after some very deep soul-searching on these very issues. I do not feel she is making any hasty decisions here - sometimes decisions need to be made quickly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are hasty. All events in the past are part of the decision needing to be made now.

You are also right and I've said it too - whatever decision Karen makes needs to be done wholeheartedly and without guilt or looking back. After what he's done - nothing can be as it was. Even if the marriage continues, it would have to change drastically. Can he do this? Is he prepared to do this? I think we know the answers. Whatever is in store for this marriage, I think a legal separation has to happen. And see what happens from there. Who knows? He may turn over a new leaf. Or a forest of new leaves. It would take a great deal of effort on his part, I feel. Genuine effort.

My brother and his wife separated after fifteen years of marriage. We were angry with him - and his wife - for rushing off in different directions with stars in their eyes. I saw a side of my brother I didn't like. They each settled down miles apart with another partner. They legally separated. The kids were calling this new man in sister in law's life "Daddy".
Then both new relationships broke up. My brother and his wife met a bit more often to sort out practicalities for the kids and amazingly, decided to move back in together. I thought sister in law was crazy, it simply wasn't going to work for the reasons it had failed before, but they both made changes. The separation had wrought these changes in them. It still wasn't greatly improved, but sister in law chose to accept my brother with all his flaws, for the stability and security he could provide. Plus, he was always a good father. Eventually that separation was the making of their marriage, on totally new terms.
Over the years they have become closer, she has stopped hankering for the other side of the fence and he has treated her much better. I'm trying to think how many years now - must be well over 40. And neither seems to have any recollection of the break-up having happened.

It worked for them, because they DID separate when they needed to; they did some serious thinking, both of them; and they made permanent changes openly, willingly, to try to improve things; and they both determinedly stayed together even though the next few years were nasty indeed.

I don't see that happening here. Whatever happens, I hope Karen has enough breathing space to learn that it's OK to ask for what SHE wants occasionally and not feel guilty for it. All relationships need honesty and respect. Until and unless that changes, I don't see that this can still be called a marriage.

I'd like everyone in the world to be as happy as husband & I are. But I'm a realist - life isn't like that. If you can't be happy together, maybe you can be happier single. That can be good, too.

Marg

KFld

I'm going to start a new post. Yesterday was a tough day, but I don't want to just add it to the bottom of this one.