We got new phones!

DammitJanet

I feel like I moved into another century...lol.

I finally dumped T-mobile because of all the **** they put me through with roaming charges and really just how rude they were to me. They actually had the audacity to tell me I should have had been able to know that I was in another district when I was at Jamie's just by thinking about it. Uhhh. Why? Then they said I could have gone ahead before head and put his address in on the computer and seen that he was in a different area. Nope, I did that and it just said he was covered by T-mobile. Then they got real stupid and said...well you wouldnt think that you were covered in California now would you? Well dummy, I live in NC and my area is NC, VA, SC and GA...now let me think...is CA part of my package? I dont think so? Stupid!

They just refused to budge any on over $100 of roaming charges even if I agreed to go up to their highest new package of nationwide service so I told them I was going to leave them and go to another carrier. Too bad for them to lose a loyal customer of 7 years! I think they were penny wise and pound foolish.

But now I am very thrilled with my new phones! I went with Sprint and I now have that mobile to any mobile phone plan with unlimited text and unlimited data plan. Tony got a phone that is military approved so it is very rugged and rubberized. It doesnt have a qwerty keyboard but he doesnt do much texting so that shouldnt be a problem. He can watch TV and use the radio and take pics and it has GPS which is great.

Mine is a touchscreen. I can watch tv, do nfl live, nascar live, has the qwerty keyboard, camera, gps, all that good stuff. Oh...I can put it in search mode and tell it to FIND anything and it will find me all the whatever I asked it to. Like if I say...find pizza...it will find all the pizza restaurants wherever I am...lol. How cool.

Keyana loves it because she can watch all the Hanana Montana episodes she wants right on my phone. She cried last night as she was going to sleep...My "hanamata grandma". She is so careful with it too. I would never let Hailie near it! She carries it like it is gold and sets it down on the bed so carefully and sits cross legged and just smiles so big!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sounds good, Janet. I went fancy pants about a year ago and got tired of learning how to use it. Now it's my alarm clock. I WAAAY downgraded and am quite happy. I don't text or do online stuff so just something simple was just fine.

Enjoy your phone!

Abbey

donna723

:tongue: My son is amazed that I can get by with a phone that does nothing but make and receive PHONE CALLS! And most of the time it's not even turned on. And I had no idea that it could do the texting until my son sent me a text message! I still have no idea how to actually SEND a text message. It would be nice if it displayed the correct time but I have no idea how to change that either.

I guess I'm 'old school'. I had no idea how technologically behind I was until I was in a foster parenting class a few years ago with several other people including a Mennonite couple. In the middle of the class someone's cell phone rang and everybody dug theirs out to see if it was them. And finally the Mennonite man reached into the bib of his overalls and pulled out a little cell phone and just stared at it bewildered while it rang. And his wife was going, "The GREEN button, John! Push the GREEN button!" And that's when I realized that even Mennonites are more technologically advanced than I am! If my phone ever rings (it's always my son), I still stare at it for a minute and then I remember the Mennonite lady saying, "Push the GREEN button, John!", so I push the green button and there's my son!

DDD

:redface: husband and I are with you Donna. I honestly don't want to be bothered
when I'm not working. One of our daughters had us on IM with AOL and it drove us crazy. We'd be playing backgammon or typing an email and PING
there she was.....in the middle of the screen, lol.......with a big smiley face saying "hi, what are you doing?"

husband finally (sweetly) explained that we were just too xing old to do two things at once. ;) That was the end of that. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'll stick with my trac phones. lol They serve their purpose since I only use them for emergencies when I'm driving out of town.

Congrats on the fancy phones though!!! Have fun with them. :D

donna723

Lisa, that's exactly what I've got! And it stays in my purse, turned off, unless I'm on my way to my sons house or something. Every three months I pay another $20 to add 60 more minutes and I've got over four hours worth of time built up now. When I still had dial-up, it came in useful when I had to get tech support on the computer, and once when the regular phone went out - but that's about all.

I don't WANT to be in constant contact with everyone I know! And I never talk on the phone just to be talking. But I think my son would seriously have a breakdown if you took his phone away! It's like his lifeline to everything and everybody that he knows! If he's not talking to someone on it, he's taking pictures or he's texting someone!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I use my cellphone as my only phone. It is about four years old and while it does have photo and text capabilities, I've never used them. I use it to take and make calls, and it makes a pretty good alarm clock, too!

For some reason, I suspect because I am a touch typist, I've never been able to learn to type with my thumbs. I don't think the QWERTY keyboards on the newer phones would help at all as they are still too small to properly type on.

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet,

I have the same exact Sprint phone and I love it!! I love the Qwerty keyboard which makes it so easy to text. I also check my email accounts from my phone which helps me keep up with my online students.

Have you checked out the Opera mini web browser? Click on the Fun menu and then click on games/apps. It is much faster than the dedicated web browser and I think it is easier to read. I found out about it when I was researching what phone I wanted to get and was reading other people's opinions about the phone.

easy child got the same phone I did and called me a couple of nights later to tell me that she loved her new phone. She excitedly told me that they could just say "beer" into the phone and it found them all of the closest places that they could buy beer and then gave them step-by-step verbal directions to get there.

I told her that was too much information for me and that in my mind she was studying 24/7. :rofl:

The GPS is a great feature, too. It works better than my Garmin and has newer directions so it can find things that the Garmin can't.

I know that you are going to love it!

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have an I phone and I love it. It is my calendar, my alarm clock, my camera. One of the apps is a flashlight that is free. I use it all the time. I can google and use the GPS. It has a lot of capabilities that I haven't used. I'm still learning. I would be lost with out e mail.
We barely use the land line. I haven't watched any shows on it but I would if I were in a situation where I could.

Enjoy Janet. If I ever move, I will probably not have a land line anymore. Mostly solicitors use it.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have an I phone and I love it. It is my calendar, my alarm clock, my camera. One of the apps is a flashlight that is free. I use it all the time. I can google and use the GPS. It has a lot of capabilities that I haven't used. I'm still learning. I would be lost with out e mail.
We barely use the land line. I haven't watched any shows on it but I would if I were in a situation where I could.

Enjoy Janet. If I ever move, I will probably not have a land line anymore. Mostly solicitors use it.

I love the cell phones. I finally a couple of months ago decided to completely ditch my landline and port my HOME number into my old cell phone. I had no idea that could be done until a friend told me. It cost me very little to add the extra cell line compared to what I was paying for my landline. I feel I need the extra line though, for those times I forget to turn my ringer on after work on my primary cell phone. I can't afford to have the phone ring while I'm at work, and I can't afford to be unreachable at home.

I also learned that I could convert my home security system to cellular, so that I didn't need a landline for that either.

Texting is great to discreetly send a quick message while I'm at work, so I won't have to find a way to step out and use the phone. I never saw the need for texting until recently, but it really does help make life easier sometimes. I've also learned that in hospitals, where cell phone use is frowned upon and frequently I can't get a signal to make a voice call, I can still text. Helps a lot to be able to update a friend or family member on what's going on when you're right there beside the patient and don't want to say certain things they would hear or simply don't want to be talking because they are trying to sleep.

Those of you who haven't yet discovered the benefits of texting don't know what you are missing! Even my 70+ mom, who I thought would never be willing to give it a try, uses it a lot now. A HUGE statement!

DammitJanet

I use my cell as my only phone too. I do have a house phone but it is dedicated to my computer but that will be shut off soon because I can use my cell as a modem. I will have much faster speed because I still can not get anything other than dial up out here.

I was happy with only using my phone as a phone and very rarely texted because it cost money on my old plan. Now I love it! I also love the new features on this phone. Yeah Kathy...that search feature is so cool! I dont have a garmin so the navigation tool is coming in handy.