We have created a monster I think

DammitJanet

I have always said how Keyana is so easy and such a breeze to raise. Well, she is becoming a very spoiled little princess if I may say so myself. And it is all her Papa's fault!

She is learning the fine art of the whine and the pitiful cry. She has started attending a class in Manipulation 101. I think she will pass with flying colors! She wants to be picked up constantly and will cry and stand in front of you with her arms out and these huge tears running down her face if you dont do it immediately. So annoying....lol.

She wont let her beloved Papa out of her sight. I mean not 10 feet. Wherever he goes, she goes. He cant even walk out the front door to grill food without her. He cant go from our bedroom to go to the kitchen to get her a juice without her going with him. And I am in the bed! I am perfectly wonderful until Papa comes home then I might as well be invisible...lol.

Now she is still great about following directions, still does everything we ask, is completely potty trained, never tries to run off, all that stuff. But she is starting to get a few issues. I guess I never knew that a whine could be quite that loud! I guess screech is more the term. Maybe I have forgot toddler years.

And Tony says we are supposed to have Hailie down here for a couple of weeks by ourselves! Two of them? At once! OMG!!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Part of it is the age, Janet. Sounds like she has a little bit of anxiety, and not being able to express what she's feeling it comes out as a whine or as tears, and since that's been what's worked, she sticks with it. Maybe when Hailie gets there she'll serve as a distraction! Have you tried gently working with her to talk about what she's feeling? Something like, "I/Papa can't understand what you want when you are crying like that, you need to use your words so I/Papa can help you." And lots of praise for saying what she wants instead of crying.

Then again, I could be wrong!

DammitJanet

I think a whole heck of it is that she can play us! She refused to sleep anywhere but in OUR bed until we found out that she was sleeping in her own bed at her other homes. (Grandma Linda and Mommy)

She still wont sleep in her own bed at Cory's.

I asked her when we found out she had her own bed other places and slept in it if she was playing me...and she looked up and said...Yep! LMAO.

When she wants to be picked up, and you don't want to tell her this; "Sweetheart, sometimes the answer is no, when the answer is no, we say, "OK", wait, and try again later." This is something we say to our students that seems to work. Say it ever so sweetly.....

Fran

Former desparate mom
It seems to me that kids go through anxiety when separated from their safe person at different times in their development.
She is an easy kid, maybe you have to forgive her worry while trying to keep feeling safe and not feeding into her anxiety.
It probably won't make a difference what you do(unless it's something traumatic) She has to go through this phase to get to the next phase.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
This is one of those phases that was actually extensive for easy child. She had been a premie and stayed small for a very long time. She was picked up and carried longer than most kids. That said she was only picked up by those she knew she get away with with.

The phrase that comes to mind when stuff like this happens with "easy" kids is "This to shall pass." Then sadly you will miss it. But I am sure you already know that.

beth