We were stupid to run out of husband's seizure medications.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's complicated, but partly because of waiting for COBRA to kick in and partly for husband not telling me he was almost out, we have run out of his Trileptal this weekend. I reordered it over a week ago, but because we were out of refills, it took longer to have the mail order pharmacy process the order (had to call the neuro's office) so it finally shipped last Thursday.

The good news is that it should be here by tomorrow (I'll be really surprised if it's not).

The bad news is that he just had a doozy of a spell this morning. And although these are not situations where he loses consciousness, they are very bewildering and upsetting for him. :sick:

Needless to say, he's not driving anywhere for the next few days.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't think so. We've never had it filled through them (I checked, hoping we had and that they could authorize it for just a day or two's worth) so I don't think they would.

With this being Sunday, I feel like it would be a major ordeal to try to get hold of his neuro to have something called in... I know. It's stupid. :hammer:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Crud... insurance, can't write what I am thinking.

We are in the middle of a battle with ours. I can't even think straight when I look at the paperwork.
I just want to call them up and scream "YOUR DENIED"....

I hope husband is OK and returns to normal once back on.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
GCV, I've done this more than once with my seizure medications & regretted it. Saying that, my goodness you're human; husband is stressed & human.

These things happen - I've missed doses & haven't had issues. I've taken my seizure medications religiously & had break through activity. Life is life.

I hope husband feels better quickly. Call neuro doctor immediately in the a.m. & ask for a week's worth of medications to have on hand for just this kind of emergency.

Isn't trileptal on the $4 list at Walmart or Target? Hmmmmm

tiredmommy

Ugh! Having just processed $405.00 for two prescriptions, I feel your pain. I hope husband's seizure activity is quickly controlled. How is the job search.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
As a warninng to those using anti-seizure medications as mood stabilizers: this can happen even if one doesn't have a seizure disorder.

A few years ago I was rushed to hospital with a leaking small intestinal obstruction. It was touch and go for a couple of days after the surgery and in that time while I couldn't talk, I missed my Depakote dosages.

I had a dandy grand mal seizure and I do not have a seizure disorder. Luckily my mother made it up and was able to tell the hospital personnel that I took a seizure medication for bipolar disorder.

They then searched my records, found out who my psychiatrist was, and were able to contact him for the correct dosing and medication.

Apparently the body gets used to the medications and comes to require them. This points up the fact that ANYONE who uses medications should carry at the very least a wallet card that lists medications and dosages and docs.

DammitJanet

GN you are so right. Same thing happened to me when I had the meningitis. Even though my family took all my medications to the hospital with me AND kept pushing the doctors about the fact that I took 4 anti-seizure drugs, no one would listen and failed to give them to me until I had 3 grand-mal seizures! Then it was like, Oh, well...darn! Why did that happen?

I had to come out of a coma and actually have the clarity of thinking to ask..."my medications?" before they actually started me back. I cant tell you exactly if this was at the hospital or rehab.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone :) Thankfully, the medications arrived yesterday afternoon. In all, he missed 5 doses over the three days (he takes it twice a day).

Star, unfortunately, the two medications are not the same. But thanks for getting your cape out, anyway. ;)

Linda, no it's unfortunately not on the list... and his neuro won't let him take the generic. He says the window of therapeutic benefit is too narrow to mess with for this type of issue, and apparently generics can be too unpredictable in terms of bioavailability for this.

TM, he FINALLY finished his resume yesterday. Now I just need to push, er, I mean NUDGE him to take the next step!

3Shadows... no, the kids have no real clue about the seizures unless husband announces it... these are very much an internal experience for him (no convulsions), though still very upsetting.

GoingNorth and Janet, that's what I've been worried about -- just going cold-turkey can put you at risk for a much more serious seizure. And he's proven that already to me the last two days. Today he had a VERY strong episode. The symptoms lasted a very long time and have absolutely exhausted him. He's still on the couch now and it's been close to two hours since it first hit. Plus he was telling me his lips and upper body felt tingly.. so I called the neuro's office to let them know what happened. I don't think he needs to go to the ER... the office said they'd let the neuro know and that he'd call if he thought there was anything more we could be doing. Thankfully he has his followup with their office next week. I'm sure we'll get a good lecture when we see him... ugh.