Weaned off Strattera

Nancy

We began weaning difficult child off Strattera a couple months ago, going very slowly to minimize any adverse reaction and so we could evaluate any behavioral change. Today was her first day completely off and I have to say that so far (knock on wood) I am very pleased to report no problems and she seems to be in a better mood. Now this could be due to the fact that there are only two weeks left of school so I have to give it more time but it's looking hopeful.

There was a time when the Strattera helped difficult child concentrate in school and control some of her impulsiveness in the classroom but over the years I think it's effectiveness was no longer so apparent and it even seemed like it was causing more problems than helping. I am also concerned that after she graduates next year and either goes off to school or moves out she will not be medication compliant and I wanted to get her medications down to a manageable level. psychiatrist agreed to see how she would do with just the Lamictal. Seems like her mood is better and she doesn't get as angry as before.

Nancy

&

"B"

Hi~ I took my difficult child off of strattera after 3mnths. He did seem to benefit at first but then it was as if he wasn't on anything~like in the beginning before the medications.. So we decide to take him off. I talked to the nurse and Pharmacist and they both said he shouldn't have any side effects since it isn't a stimulant.. so now he is off (we had no weaning process)risky I know but it didnt seem as if it had any effect at all .He is back to that I don't care attitude, but some other things has happened at school to contribute to that attitude as well. He has never been on any other medication. not sure if that was the one for him anyway. we are going to see therapist next week...and from what I hear its like the medications. keep your fingers crossed that you will get a good one(not alot to chose from here) and I am new and learning as I go. He has been off since April~let us know how it goes.Good luck.

smallworld

Nancy, hope the medication change continues to be positive. I know that Strattera can cause a lot of kids to be moody and irritable.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Nancy

Wonderful news! Thanks for the positive update. Keeping fingers crossed that difficult child maintains off the straterra.