Weather Check In

DammitJanet

I hear its heading up north uan. From what I have heard, NY is due to get about 8 to 10 and NE about 18 inches.

Our totals in my area reached the highest of about 8 inches then the ice hit and packed it down to about 7. This was some really strong heavy snow. We really didnt get as much ice in my town as some around me. We only got about 1/8th of an inch of ice on us which is really good because it didnt cause lines to go down or trees to topple. A county north west of me...there is one county between me and that county...got much less snow...say 3 inches but they got a whole inch of ice and they had power lines down, cars stranded, and had to call in the National Guard to help with 911 calls.

Im a bit worried though, Tony is attempting to go to work tomorrow. He has to leave at 4:45 am from my house on a road that hasnt been scraped. Cars have been driving down it so it has been slushy and it isnt too awful bad. He is driving a 12 passenger van. You know, those big work vans. Rear wheel drive. It isnt built for snow and ice. He doesnt get to take interstates either. He has to go basically backroads to get to the coast where according to the superintendent on the job, they got 5 inches of snow. Lovely. Oh well...he will just drive very slowly and they will get there when they get there. It should be better coming home because the sun should come out tomorrow during the day and be in the mid 30s. Just tonight its gonna be about 23 when they leave.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh I hate freezing rain!!

Wow janet you guys ended up with a lot. Not sure what we have.........haven't looked outside in hours. I think it stopped a while back. Maybe total 6 inches, not that bad. Slowed down enough to let the plows come through here a couple times. But then we're to get more tonight and tomorrow too and I think for the next several days.........ugh I'm ready for spring.

P

PatriotsGirl

We got hit hard for our area. Been stuck in the house since Sunday night and the roads are still thick ice. It was nice at first but now you can tell every one has been couped up too long. Hubby started getting b*tchy yesterday and I was ready to choke him. He has actually been much worse than difficult child. Then again difficult child has been taking medications and is not hardly b*tchy at all anymore...lol. He attempted to go in to work today though the jury is out on whether he will actually make it there or not. He has a nice truck but it stinks in the snow. I hope he does. He will come home in a much better mood. I get to work from home so I am totally cool with staying in for the week :D

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well, they closed work at 11:30 yesterday, my 10-minute drive home only took 30 - 1/3 of which was getting 3/4 mile off the installation!

The kids don't have school today, which Onyxx is thrilled about - another day to put off exams (which started yesterday). The kids are now officially out of "calamity days", meaning any more and they will be going to school after June 9. I don't think they realize that!

Honestly the drive in today wasn't too bad, gave myself a little extra time and watched out for the crazies. All is well...

muttmeister

Sorry you guys are still getting it. The midwest/plains one passed over us a couple of days ago so it is clear here but right now it is 6 below 0 so I'm not so crazy about that.
difficult child 1 called last night and said his wife hit a pole with their car. No insurance so I guess that is the end of the car but he has an old beat up pick up and she also has a van. The girls weren't along and nobody was hurt. THe dog ran off but they finally got him back and he didn't freeze to death over night as they were worried about so I guess it could have been worse. I just wonder why she was out driving on this mess in the first place!

Nancy

Hound Dog I would have thought you got more. From the weather reports it said the snow was moving up from the south. We got about a foot last night and it's blowing and drifting and very cold.

Took husband 2 hours to get to work downtown, usually a 30 minute drive. He has to drive to Cincinnati today so I won't rest until I know he's made it safely.

I feel bad for the east coast, they got hit bad once again.

Nancy

tiredmommy

I haven't posted on this thread because, frankly, we're outside of Buffalo and we expect snow in January. LOL! :rofl: Unfortunately, Duckie had an 8am doctor appointment this morning about 20 minutes away in good conditions. We left at 7:20am, the roads weren't terrible in my neighborhood (just plowed) but we couldn't get out of our village because the main road was closed off due to an accident. I could have went the back way but decided it was just stupid and dangerous because while the village roads were decent the town roads were not. So we went home and waited around to bring Duckie to school. Drove home. husband clears the driveway and I go out to move my car back in its appointed slot. I no sooner take off my hat/scarf/coats/boots/gloves when this little old lady from across and down the street approaches husband because she can't get out of her driveway because the idiots at the nursing home dumped almost three feet of snow in her driveway. The poor dear didn't realize it until she backed her car right into the pile. So husband and I started digging her out and ultimately were helped by a few guys that work for the village. We are at just over 8 inches now.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, we expect snow in January... Well, those of us who pay attention, anyway.

Of course, working on a military installation, there are always new people... Just in from warmer climes. Don't know how to drive in this stuff.

It's crazy.

Star*

call 911........call 911
It's been bad here........for us.

We got 5" of snow, then it melted just a tad. Then that froze over. Our town was shut down. We were literally snowed in Monday and Tuesday we had to go out - out of gas. Everything was closed but a few grocery stores. We slid a lot on the road but made it out and back. Then it froze again. Looked like our field was an ice skating pond. very pretty. I had to go to school today - but it was delayed until 10:00 AM. The roads were clear, tonight there was some black ice on the way home. Not much. Business as usual tomorrow but all the schools here are closed all week. Mostly precautionary I think - due to ice and freezing - I was outside all day today for driving lessons and I can tell you this - I CAN NOT FEEL MY TOES. I was dressed like Nanook of the north - but I still can't feel parts of my body. lol........I wish it were a pick and choose thing - as to which parts you wanted to freeze off - I'd go for a little belly and some thigh - not my butt and feet. lol.