Weather

Nancy

It's 55 degrees out in Cleveland Ohio on January 23. This has to be a record. I was outside cleaning up the yard in shirt sleeves.

Nancy

InsaneCdn

It was -30C last week. This week, we're supposed to get up to +3C.

And I'm tearing my hair out because that means... partial melt, followed by weeks of glare ice everywhere. Because, of course, this is January and we're going back down into some form of minus temps as soon as this melt-day is over...

Please? Please don't let it get above -3C? Please? Anyone listening?

Nancy

Hey Step it just started getting a bit windy here too. The yard is like a lake, soaked through and through and water standing everywhere but I did get a lot of tree twigs picked up.

nancy

donna723

It's 59 degrees here today - in mid-January - and not supposed to go down below freezing again until next Sunday night! We just had those scary storms come thought last night and usually when it does that, it's cold afterwards, but not this time, just a little windy. Not that I'm complaining but that is SO strange for this time of year. January and February are usually our coldest months, which means we may really be in for it next month. Some of my spring bulbs have started to come up and my rose bushes have tiny little leaves on them! I am perfectly happy without the snow and ice but around here, the milder the winter is, the more bugs we seem to have in the summer.

InsaneCdn

Donna -
Do you have burlap around? if so, you should probably be prepared to cover those roses... or you'll get serious die-back. Should have had that on before the thaw started... now its about preventing those buds from freezing if possible.

The bulbs coming up... even harder, once they start they are hard to stop. Should have had an 8" layer of mulch before the thaw started.

We used to live in Chinook country, where this is always a problem...

DDD

If it drops to 55 around here...we pull out our jackets and crank up the heat. That's the truth! DDD

InsaneCdn

If it drops to 55 around here...we pull out our jackets and crank up the heat. That's the truth! DDD

:rofl:

No wonder they can pick out the tourists.

At 55F, we "might" have a sweater, or if its windy, a light jacket. It would be "cool" but not "chilly".
Might wear slightly more than that at 55F in the FALL than in the SPRING.
Trust me... after -30C... even +3C (about 40F) feels balmy!

donna723

InsaneCdn, it's just a few little tiny leaves on the roses, not buds yet. And the bulbs do have mulch on them but when it's as warm as it's been here lately, they start coming up anyway. They do this almost every year as soon as we have a warm spell. It's just the ends of the leaves, not the flower stems. Those won't come until probably March, when it gets much warmer and stays that way.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I opened my windows for a while yesterday. Kid you not. lol

This is one weird winter. I'm still waiting for the rug to get yanked out...........while hoping that since I'm fully prepared for whatever winter decides to do......it now won't do much of anything. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm hoping that it will save it all up and just DUMP on us. Mid to late February. 48" + would be a happy thing for me...