Wednesday Update....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
OK--

So this am I contacted the school and verified that difficult child was, indeed, IN SCHOOL yesterday in the detention room....

Also verified that difficult child has been skipping classes to have sex on school grounds and DID have a pregancy scare (though we have been unable to verify her partner/s--the boy she implicated admitted to one rendezvouz but has a rock-solid alibi for the other times difficult child claims to have been with him...so still investigating).

Complained to the principal that this sort of thing should not be happening on school grounds, and if difficult child had been reprimanded for skipping class the FIRST time there might not have been all these other times. At first, the principal claimed staff shortages and budget cuts--but eventually agreed that the important thing was difficult child's safety and that we will have a meeting to implement a communication plan to ensure that this sort of thing never happens again.

Scheduled a doctor appointment for gyne exam/birth control/STD screening AND drug screening.

Spoke to therapist who was completely unaware that difficult child was sexually active--says they will have to decide what to do with this new information.

After speaking with other parents yesterday, we learned that difficult child has been making all kinds of child-abuse claims to anyone who would listen. She is also claiming that she's been raped and sexually assaulted by multiple persons. As difficult child continues to live at home and we seem like such "normal" people, most adults--thank god!!-- have been discounting these stories (figuring that any child subject to the amount and types of atrocities difficult child is claiming would have been removed from our care years ago and husband would have been prosecuted).

When confronted with all of this, difficult child states that everyone else must be lying....because she would never do such a thing.

And so it goes....

TerryJ2

I am so sorry. Hugs.

I cannot believe the school principal shoved everything under the carpet by talking about budget cuts. Phooey.

At any rate, your main problem is difficult child. Since she was just released from the psychiatric hospital, I would wonder about a diff diagnosis than just Mood Disorder not otherwise specified. That is so vague, it's frustrating, but typical for a Phsop release diagnosis. Maybe borderline or narcissism? Others here can point you in the right direction. I would also wonder about her medication levels and her counseling. I would take her into counseling more often (I can't recall if you work full time but it's worth the time off to go to counseling). She has serious issues. You need to get to the root of her needy, flamboyant behavior and get her to serve her needs in more constructive ways. It sounds like it's going to take awhile.
It also sounds like she's covering for her "real" boyfriend.
My heart goes out to you.
Thank you for the update, and I'm sorry I've not been online lately. Here are some extra {{{hugs}}}.
PS I'm glad that onlookers are understanding. I hope they reach out and offer some constructive assistance.

smallworld

Daisy, did all the outrageous behavior start after she began taking Celexa? I ask because SSRI antidepressants can cause disinhibition and hypersexual behavior. It's just something to think about when you're considering all your options.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Daisy, did all the outrageous behavior start after she began taking Celexa? I ask because SSRI antidepressants can cause disinhibition and hypersexual behavior. It's just something to think about when you're considering all your options.

Hmmmm...

It's hard to say. The behavior has been gradually escalating all her life. Things got really bad after she turned twelve....she got her period shortly thereafter....she was put on Celexa shortly after turning 13....and then (we think) the sex started a few months after that.

She's always had the problem of "lacking a conscience" and "lacking empathy"....and we keep getting reassured that it's just a matter of maturity.

mstang67chic

Going Green
difficult child lacks empathy also and while he does have maturity issues....I personally think it all relates to his BiPolar (BP).

Definately look into the medication though...can't hurt. As for the school, I would let them know exactly what their "lack of funds" lamo excuse caused. Panic, worry, missing person's report, etc. I know I get kind of irritated when the school calls to let me know the same old thing but if they DON'T call...it's worse.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
...SSRI antidepressants can cause disinhibition and hypersexual behavior.

Just curious (and not meaning to hijack this thread) but SW, what have you read about TCA's and their effect on these kinds of symptoms? Is it the same as SSRI's?

flutterby

Fly away!
Sigh.....

I would make sure that meeting with the principal happens soon.

I would look into the medication route. I would, with a doctor's supervision, wean difficult child off Celexa and see what the picture looks like with no medications and go from there.

difficult child 2's school "misplaced" him today. Took a few phone calls between mom, me, and the school to get that figured out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Just a note from something that happened to me as a senior in High School - in 4th period, I got called to the principal's office. "Call your mom" - so I did. She demanded to know where I was. Uh, SCHOOL?

They had called her to tell her I wasn't there.

I still haven't figured out why they thought I wasn't - I was there all day!

But no one noticed the day I skipped and drove across the state to see my boyfriend.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Just curious (and not meaning to hijack this thread) but SW, what have you read about TCA's and their effect on these kinds of symptoms? Is it the same as SSRI's?

GCVMom--

You are always welcome to hijack my threads....sharing information is so helpful--I know I always learn something from it.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Sigh.....

I would make sure that meeting with the principal happens soon.

I would look into the medication route. I would, with a doctor's supervision, wean difficult child off Celexa and see what the picture looks like with no medications and go from there.

Thanks Heather--

Yes, our meeting is scheduled first thing next week.

appointment with therapist tomorrow--I will definitely question the medications.

difficult child 2's school "misplaced" him today. Took a few phone calls between mom, me, and the school to get that figured out.

Unbelieveable!!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
TCA's = tricyclic antidepressants

Just curious if this different class of medications has a similar effect as the SSRI's on mood disorderd kids.

smallworld

I'm in Utah visiting J and don't have my reference books with me. I'll check when I get home on Sunday. But my recollection is that TCAs can cause the same side effects as SSRIs, especially in kids who have BiPolar (BP)-like tendencies. My own kids, however, do better on ADs other than SSRIs (like Wellbutin and Remeron, which are not TCAs, but have an effect on other neurotransmitters besides serotonin).