Wee ran.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
ExMIL is an absolute doll, to say the least. ExFIL? Well...he adores me, but he leaves a lot to be desired in the father/grandfather role. A LOT. In fact, he generally just stays at work or otherwise away when the grands are there. Not ideal, but hey.

Yesterday, exMIL had a dr appointment. Would be gone 30 min at most, so she asked exFIL to watch Wee. Wee was on the phone with me, crying hysterically, before exMIL even left. She got on the phone, said all was ok, he was being a drama queen (which he is quite capable of) and he'd be fine. I text her immediately after and asked if things would be ok, because exFIL doesn't have much patience, and I was in a position to go pick up Wee. She assured me it was fine.

Ten minutes later, as I'm walking out the door to PT, exBIL walks in my house (he assumed I was at work). With Wee. Whom he had picked up on the side of the highway.

Apparently the more Wee fretted about being with grandpa, the more grandpa lived up to Wee's worst expectations, and Wee ran. ExBIL just happened to be on his way home and saw him.

Ugh. Is this the next phase in the fun known as difficult child-dom? (except...which was the difficult child is hard to really discern...grandpa, or Wee....? Hmmm....)

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Apparently the more Wee fretted about being with grandpa, the more grandpa lived up to his expectations, and Wee ran.

I've always found that anticipating something I don't want to deal with is usually worse than getting it over with.

If exFIL has very little patience... Maybe he could figure something out to do with Wee while exMIL is there? That involves semi-instant gratification, like picking wildflowers for grandma. Then Wee has a reference of something that was not so bad... What does exFIL do??? Yell? I can see how Wee wouldn't be able to handle that.

BUT... He can't be running, esp. near a highway!!!

HUGS.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Ugh!

I am glad that Wee is OK - that could have been SOOO much worse!

If I were you? I think I'd implement a "No ExFIL as Babysitter" policy....some guys just DON'T get it - and it sounds like he is one of those guys!

Thank Goodness for exBIL - (again!)

[none of my business, but just wondering....is exBIL single by any chance? He sounds like a "good one"...never mind....I'm not saying anything....just...ya know....thinking....]

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think just the "no grandpa babysitting" policy is the best path to follow. Wee is a lot like his bio-dad. ExFIL is 70. I'm really thinking there's not a lot of chance of teaching that dog any new tricks.... But yes, Step, it would be SOOOOO easy.

Df, lol, no, exBIL is not single. He's happily married to exSIL, who is a very, very good friend (well, exBIL is, too). Besides that, while I do absolutely love and adore exBIL as a "brother" (and he at least likes me), I don't think we'd make a good couple, anyway. Tho what do I know...I thought marrying my very good friend of 15 years was a good idea, and look where that's gotten me...

KTMom91

Glad Wee is all right...how scary.

Sounds like a no-Grandpa babysitting policy is definitely in order.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ya know... When I think of someone who is 70, or even mid-60s, I automatically think - "OLD".

But - my parents are 63 and 64 - and they're not old at all!

Oh yeah - and DDD, on another thread where you mentioned your husband's age I was shocked. I have never thought of you as any older than I am!!!

It's all in perspective, I think... And exFIL's 70 to Wee's 7... Well...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't think of the ex-in-law's as old, either. I've known them 20 years, and they are middle aged to me, just like when I met them.

The brooms, tho? OMG. Don't think they could be any older. Known them for 20 years, too. They've been old all 20 of them.

Steely

I think just the "no grandpa babysitting" policy is the best path to follow. Wee is a lot like his bio-dad. ExFIL is 70. I'm really thinking there's not a lot of chance of teaching that dog any new tricks.... But yes, Step, it would be SOOOOO easy.
I agree.
I think you have got to go with what Wee is trying to communicate. He doesn't feel safe with grandpa, and for that reason, he should not be a viable babysitter.

Jena

i want a brother in law like this guy!! lol. sheesh major kudos to him lately!

glad wee's ok! i guess all will be well wasnt' .......... :) guess you had a hunch texting after getting the all's well word

H

HaoZi

Is this the same exBIL that stepped up after your accident? Can we clone him? I'm really glad Wee was returned safe and sound!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Steely, my gut said not to let him stay with grandpa, but, he has before for short stints, and grandma is pretty darn good about heading off situations. But...that ol' never ignore your gut thing...
Same brother in law. He really is a great guy. But his wife gripes about him, too. Lol. But it's dang sure not because he doesn't help or support her. In fact, she complains that he doesn't know how to relax. Lol
Janet...omg...that's just funny!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Shari, my dad is an incredibly patient man; very loving toward all his grandchildren. Saying that, my dad hasn't a clue nor the patience anymore when it comes to kt or wm. He's seen them at their worst & it truly confuses & in some ways scares him.

Now my dad is soon to be 82 so I wouldn't ask him to take kt for a week - yet I think was our parents (in laws included) get older they struggle with many of the issues that are our difficult children.

So cool brother in law found Wee & brought him home. Time to start talking the talk about grandpa sitting with difficult child.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
It was readily assumed by all, and therefore agreed upon quickly, that this scenario just won't happen again (barring an emergency, of course).
And I was thinking this morning, Wee ran. He didn't attack - he escaped the situation. I don't the play by play of what happened, but, while still not a good choice, a far better one than some in the past. Maybe there's a silver lining?