weed whacking

klmno

I just did a dumb thing- I used the trimmer to whack weeds while wearing a pair of shorts. The battery on this thing only lasts 15-20 mins. but before I was finished, I got areas of bumps that look (and feel) like mosquito bites, but I don't think they are. I don't think it is chiggers either. I would think mosquitos, but they are centralized areas on the backs of my legs and I didn't see any bugs around me.

I have alcohol, witch hazel, lotion, peroxide, typical first aid stuff. Does anyone know what will relieve this itching?

susiestar

Roll With It
Most of the "anti itch" stick things they sell have ammonia in them. I am NOT kidding, the bug bite treatments in the little pens, and in the pads with medical kits is ammonia. I keep some diluted 1/2 and 1/2 and dab it on when we get bug bites.

It sounds nuts, but I got it by reading the labels. the $3-$4 sticks for bug bites have about $0.05 in ammonia in them.

Sorry you are so miserable.

Hugs,

Susie

DammitJanet

It really could be chiggers though. Do they have a tiny red dot to them? If they itch then try the above remedy but also you can dot on clear fingernail polish to smother them in case they are chiggers. Thats the home remedy for chiggers.

Steely

It could be bugs, or an allergic reaction to the foliage you were trimming. I would take some over the counter allergy medicine like Benadry, and see if that helps. I hope it is not poison ivy?

klmno

Benadryl is a good idea- since I couldn't find the bug bite stick. And I didn't want to put red nail polish on the back of my legs.

Thanks!!

It doesn't look like poison ivy- yet- and I didn't recognize anything out there that looked like it. We moved to this house almost 2 years ago. No one had taken care of the back yard for years, so it was grown up with brush and ivy when we moved in. Thhis is my second summer trying to get all that down- and I almost have it accomplished- so that grass can be sown and the dogs can actually have a decent place to walk around. I worry about them now and check their pads almost every night. Well, they are my furbabies...:)

Steely

Totally understand about furbabies.
I hope the Benadryl works - it might knock you out though.

Hey - klmno - I just noticed you and I have almost the same number amount of posts. Very cool!
Is that kinda like being the same age?

klmno

I hope so for my sake. You might not want that, though! :)

I should add- I would do the clear nail polish if I had any- but all I have is red- well, that is just me....

klmno

LOL! It is a tiny little bug that lives on some weeds ( one of which we used to call "Lady's lace"). It gets right under your skin and you can usually see a timy red dot in the middle of a bump that itches like crazy. Anyway, it isn't really a danger to you- it will just itch and then die, and you will heal normally. You can't really see them unless you find that tiny red dot.

Ok- where are you from? LOL! They are pretty common here in the south/southeast.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Chiggers itch due to an allergic reaction to their salive and droppings, which they leave under the skin.

Best thing I've found for them is lime sulfur ointment.

Ask your pharmacist. They should have it behind the counter.

Meanwhile, try not scratch. It doesn't take much for chigger bites to get infected.