Weight loss question

Californiablonde

I want to know if someone can lose weight from stress alone? For the past month, I have been eating like a pig. My son's surgery, work, and other stressors have been getting to me and I have been binge eating. It's how I deal with stress. I'm trying to change it, but well, you know. Anyway, today I finally jumped on the scale, expecting to have gained ten pounds, and instead found out I lost five!

How did that happen? I am worried. Lately my stomach problems have been acting up really badly. I am getting stomach pain that radiates to my upper back, I have been vomiting up stomach acid, I have very bad heartburn, and I have been getting black stools (sorry if too much information) off and on. I am of course jumping to the worst conclusions. I am thinking stomach cancer, especially since I am losing weight without trying. I am going to my doctor on Tuesday. Till then I'm worried sick. So can stress alone cause weight loss? Or do I have a right to be worried?

pasajes4

Stress can cause all of those issues. You just got checked for stomach cancer if I am not mistaken. You could be developing an ulcer from stress, and eating hard to digest junk food in "binge" amounts could make anyone throw up.
Wait until the doctor tells you there's something is wrong before you worry yourself into a dark place.

Californiablonde

Stress can cause all of those issues. You just got checked for stomach cancer if I am not mistaken. You could be developing an ulcer from stress, and eating hard to digest junk food in "binge" amounts could make anyone throw up.
Wait until the doctor tells you there's something is wrong before you worry yourself into a dark place.
I got checked for colon cancer. I have never been checked for stomach cancer.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You've had pretty severe stress this past month CB, losing weight under that kind of stress can be a normal response. Use whatever tools you have at your disposal to try not to worry, you've had enough worry recently......take a walk, do deep breathing, take a hot bath.......sending hugs.....

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB. Have you gone back and looked at your pattern? You are literally reaching over and over again for this cancer phobia like an addict reaches for a fix. Try and figure out why you are constantly torturing yourself with this fear. WHAT ARE YOU GETTING OUT OF IT? WHAT DID YOU GET OUT OF PROJECTING IT ONTO YOUR SON?

You get a lot of reassurance from the folks on this board, of course. Is that the benefit you are looking for? The feeling of being worthy of others' time and love?

All of the sx you mention are VERY common just from the sort of stress you've been under. Go out, get some omeprazole or similar. Get a 3 pack, which will run you 16-21 dollars. Do all three bottles, one pill per day. Stop with the coffee and soda if you can. Get some pepcid or similar and take them as needed according to pkg directions. Eat 1 cup of live culture yogurt per day. Eat the recommended amt of fiber per day and the recommended amt of whole grain per day. It'll help.

AND Next time you see your psychiatrist, tell him or her about the physical sx you are experiencing. It is extremely important that they know about this. Tell them about your fears of having cancer. Lets get the whole team in on this and see if, with their knowledge and your hard work, you can finally lick this beast.

Californiablonde

CB. Have you gone back and looked at your pattern? You are literally reaching over and over again for this cancer phobia like an addict reaches for a fix. Try and figure out why you are constantly torturing yourself with this fear. WHAT ARE YOU GETTING OUT OF IT? WHAT DID YOU GET OUT OF PROJECTING IT ONTO YOUR SON?

You get a lot of reassurance from the folks on this board, of course. Is that the benefit you are looking for? The feeling of being worthy of others' time and love?

All of the sx you mention are VERY common just from the sort of stress you've been under. Go out, get some omeprazole or similar. Get a 3 pack, which will run you 16-21 dollars. Do all three bottles, one pill per day. Stop with the coffee and soda if you can. Get some pepcid or similar and take them as needed according to pkg directions. Eat 1 cup of live culture yogurt per day. Eat the recommended amt of fiber per day and the recommended amt of whole grain per day. It'll help.

AND Next time you see your psychiatrist, tell him or her about the physical sx you are experiencing. It is extremely important that they know about this. Tell them about your fears of having cancer. Lets get the whole team in on this and see if, with their knowledge and your hard work, you can finally lick this beast.
I am not looking for people's time, affection, or love. I am asking an honest question. The fact that I have blood in my stool is alarming. It's not normal. Even my mom pressured me to make this doctor's appointment, because she thinks I should be seen. I am asking because I am genuinely concerned. I am not looking for sympathy.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My husband gets that when stressed. He has ulcerative colitis which acts up when he is stressed. But I'd get it checked for sure.

AppleCori

Cali,

I understand your worries.

You have been under a lot of stress lately. It is very understandable that it would be expressed physically.

You are not looking for attention or sympathy, you are worried and scared.

I get stomach aches too, when stressed or worried.

The most likely cause of the blood is probably constipation. Also could be hemeroids. It is wise to get it checked, but also use a stool softener to make things easier to pass. That is more common than you may realize.

Let us know what the doctor says.

Apple

AnonymousMe

I am not looking for people's time, affection, or love.

I don't think GN meant that you were doing it consciously. I mean this in the nicest way, but you do seem to jump to a fear of cancer with every health concern. I think her suggestions were meant to make you assess your worries and think about, if for some reason, your mind automatically jumps to the worst conclusion. With those symptoms, I'd think ulcer, not cancer, especially given your anxiety and your job stress. I agree with her suggestions regarding Pepcid, etc., but since you have a doctor's appointment soon, maybe hold off and see what they say. I also agree you should tell your psychiatrist about it. If there's something they can do to lessen your anxiety about your health, it can only help.

BusynMember

Cb, I think you also have a health phobia. I recognize it because I did too and sometimes I still do. I love ya like a daughter and mean this with extreme kindness.

Blood in stool that is red is not normally serious. I know because of when *I* freaked out about the same thing. I had a gastroenterologist because my stomach was a mess and he said the blood doctors hworry about is black, not fresh red. I still get blood in stool. ..I know too much information...lol. I first had blood in my early 30s and i am now 63 and no cancer.

You could have IBS. Hurts but not serious.

Do get help for this phobia. It sucks to think every body sensation is a deadly disease. Trust me, I know. As we chat here, I had an oral biopsy because I probably have a non cancerous problem that is painful and not curable called oral lichen planus...of course, they biopsy everything and I expected the results this week only to find out the oral surgeon is out of town until Monday!!! So in the back of my mind I am afraid I have oral cancer, although I know they don't expect it to be anything except confirmed lichen planus. But I worry about the 1% chance. Or less. Honestly....I am worried.

We can worry together, ok? I think we will both be okay. Health anxiety is not fun. Our fear is very real. It is like a gigantic panic attack!

Blessings and let's both try to be calm this weekend. Is your son recovering well?

Californiablonde

Cb, I think you also have a health phobia. I recognize it because I did too and sometimes I still do. I love ya like a daughter and mean this with extreme kindness.

Blood in stool that is red is not normally serious. I know because of when *I* freaked out about the same thing. I had a gastroenterologist because my stomach was a mess and he said the blood doctors hworry about is black, not fresh red. I still get blood in stool. ..I know too much information...lol. I first had blood in my early 30s and i am now 63 and no cancer.

You could have IBS. Hurts but not serious.

Do get help for this phobia. It sucks to think every body sensation is a deadly disease. Trust me, I know. As we chat here, I had an oral biopsy because I probably have a non cancerous problem that is painful and not curable called oral lichen planus...of course, they biopsy everything and I expected the results this week only to find out the oral surgeon is out of town until Monday!!! So in the back of my mind I am afraid I have oral cancer, although I know they don't expect it to be anything except confirmed lichen planus. But I worry about the 1% chance. Or less. Honestly....I am worried.

We can worry together, ok? I think we will both be okay. Health anxiety is not fun. Our fear is very real. It is like a gigantic panic attack!

Blessings and let's both try to be calm this weekend. Is your son recovering well?
My son has fully recovered, thank you for asking. And good luck on the biopsy, although something tells me you will be just fine.