Weighted Blankets

mattsmum

Hi. I am strongly considering purchasing a weighted blanket for my son. Any suggestions on the best ones out there? I looked at quite a few websites last night...and I learned that the rule of thumb is 10% of their body weight plus 1 lb.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance....

BusynMember

I saw you go no answers so thought I'd check in...lol.
I don't really know how much the body weight they're supposed to be, but my son sure loved his weighted blanket (during the day he would wear a weighted vest and he loved that too). They seemed to calm him down.
Hey...this is a kid who asks, "Will you SIT on me, Mom?"
Now I did lose a ton of weight, but I"m not exactly a feather...lol. I hope you get the right answers to your question.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I had weighted blankets here for the tweedles. I don't know much about the weight (Occupational Therapist (OT) ordered these for kt & wm). I can tell you the investment for wm was pretty much a waste.

kt, on the other hand, utilized her blanket until she outgrew the need for it (& I'd had to replace it). It seemed to help her in her most anxious moments - she became aware of her boday & how she was reacting to things.

What worked for wm was a compression vest (I believe it's called). Man, you put that vest on wm & he was a cool dude. He, many times, wore it under his shirt so people wouldn't see itl.

As wm has gotten older, he's refused to utilize his vest. And we aren't going to order him another unless he wears it on a daily basis for an hour or so of quiet time. (Foster mum & I worked this out)

Good luck in your choice. I know that this can work.

mattsmum

Thanks for your responses. I know my son will like the blanket for bedtime because they let him use one when he was inpatient. He has bad nightmares (bipolar) and likes the security feeling it gives him. Right now he packs his stuffed animals around himself.

SRL

I bought ours from Southpaw Occupational Therapist (OT) supply. It's worked great--my only complaint (besides the cost) is that it's narrower than we'd like.

I've heard someone is selling them on ebay for more reasonable prices so check out that option.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I bought one for difficult child 2 from this site about two years ago:

http://www.weightedblanket.net/

The workmanship was very good, the blanket wears and washes very well. difficult child 2 loves his blanket! You get to pick the fabric(s) and they give you a formula for calculating the proper weight of the blanket for your difficult child.

The blankets aren't cheap, but it was worth the money to me. They also make lap pads (and I think vests, as well).

Make sure the fabric(s) you choose are in stock or that they have enough on hand to make the size of blanket you want before you place your order. They didn't have enough of my contrast fabric to make the size blanket I wanted, so I opted to wait while they ordered it. This added a few weeks to the order :( But that's my fault.

Good luck with your shopping!

SRL

gcvmom, thanks for posting that link. The covering on the blankets on that site were much nicer than what I got at the Occupational Therapist (OT) supply place. Lots more options too.

Marguerite

We had a weighted vest made for difficult child 3. He hardly ever wore it, but the design is simple. I suspect you could modify it for a blanket.

The vest - it was a standard vest design, a bit like a photographer's vest. It has pockets in it. Long, thin pockets as if you are putting a thick felt pen in each pocket. Actually, each pocket would take about two to three felt pens. But instead of felt pens, each pocket could also take a small sandbag - long and thin.

The vest was made of heavy cotton, not quite canvas. The sandbags were made from calico. It was all double-stitched (the vest was made with French seams, so the seams wouldn't rub) and the bags were very strong, absolutely no leakage possible. Each bag weighed 200 g.

The vest did up the front with velcro. There were two pockets on each side at the front, and four across the back. The pockets reached from the hem of the vest up to armpit height.

We were given choice of colour and chose royal blue, to match his school uniform colour (not an issue any more). We were also told to adjust the number of sandbags depending on his weight and what weight he seemed to prefer.

I guess it would be easy to adapt a blanket by putting on pockets so you could add or subtract sandbags in much the same way. It should be possible to make something like this, if cost is going to be an issue.

Some suggestions (from my mistakes) - use a strong fabric. Our first attempt, I used an old school shirt of difficult child 3's and the fabric just wasn't strong enough.

Sandbags seem to be the best option for weights - they are flexible (like those old snake-like draught excluders people make to put against a door). It's amazing how much weight you can pack in. It's also chemically inert - initially, I used lead plates which I folded and hammered myself, from scraps of lead I scavenged. Even copper - it would have corners which would dig in and be uncomfortable. And the metal close enough to be perspired on - would have discoloured the fabric and could even have been toxic.

With the sandbags, you can move them around and change them, depending on what effect the child wants. it gives them an even greater sense of control over the sense of pressure.

If you use weights, you could use a strong yet light fabric with weights on the corners and the edge, but still light enough to not be too hot in the middle of summer. For us, summer was a big problem, as it's hard to have the weight without also having something that gets hot. So a fabric that breathes is a good idea.

Apart from that, you could use any fabric (not stretchy) that the child likes the feel of. If you're going to make one (blanket or vest) I would get the child to help choose the fabric.

Marg

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Shoot I can't remember where we bought K's? It was on-line, from a really cool sensory store. It has long panels, kind of like what Marg was talking about. You slide in these long weights, filled with sand. The blanket is very good quality. She loved it and now N uses it. Pricey but worth it. She will not tolerate a vest neoprene or weighted. But loves to be squeezed and the blanket. If I can find the the link I will post it. Ours is Burgundy and blue. It explained how to order it on-line as well.