Weird dream about difficult children in general

klmno

I had the oddest dream last night. I dreamed I was at some school and a mother was there with her son, staying with him the whole time even though the students were all about 15yo or older, even some young adults. Apparently, this wasn't a regular k-12 school but was not exactly a sd for Learning Disability (LD) either- maybe some sort of vocational training, I guess.

During a break, I looked over and said "hello" to the boy and his mother. They were friendly so I asked how he liked the school. He said he really liked it because it was helping him learn how to control his mind better. He said that he knew he had a good brain but sometimes it has a glitch in it that made it hard for him to get it back on track once it got off track. I looked at him like I didn't quite understand what he was saying but that it was ok because I felt for him being a difficult child and was pleased to see him trying hard to deal with it.

Then he said "it's like if I'm driving home in the evening and accidentally take a wrong turn, I can't just turn around and get back on the right direction like most people. I may have to drive around for hours trying to get back on track. I will eventually find it and I will get home, it just might take me until 9:00 or 9:30 at night to get there. I am trying to learn how to get my mind back on track faster after I make a mistake."

I dreamed this but the tv was on all night so maybe there was a show on that somehow relates to this, I'm not sure. It could just be the threads I've been reading lately about school and Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s. LOL! I woke up as I was trrying to decide if there was a lot more than just a literal meaning to this.

And, I wonder if our difficult child's ever really feel similar to that and if sometimes when things start going out of control with them, maybe they really are just having a glitch in their thinking that despite our efforts, makes it so difficlut for them to turn it around and get back on track without going through so many other paths first.