weird question...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by klmno, Jul 20, 2009.

1. klmno

klmno Active Member

What emotion makes a person's (female) upper lip start sweating - anger, fear, hurt, anxiety/nervousnous, etc?

2. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

I don't ever recall my upper lip sweating except maybe during a particularly hard work out. :sweating: I don't recall a particular emotion though.

3. klmno

klmno Active Member

Uhhmmm....this happened during a conversation with no physical exertion and at the same time the woman's expression changed from friendly to serious.

4. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Yes.

It's the sympathetic nervous system - when it is stimulated, sweating is one of the responses. Not just on the upper lip. Stress triggers the sympathetic nervous system - any kind of stress.

Sorry I can't be more specific. It now depends on context.

Marg

5. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

I agree with Marg. Although I can't say I've ever noticed it with myself...have seen it in other people though. Which emotion would depend on the circumstances.

Hugs

6. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

Lying. So, guilt? Fear?

7. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Anxiety, at having to concentrate harder to support the lie. And fear of discovery.

Marg

8. busywend

busywend Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hot flash?

9. maril

maril New Member

I was thinking possibly a hot flash. They hit suddenly and are quite uncomfortable sometimes; perspiration, too.

10. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

Hot flash - sympathetic nervous system again.

Marg

11. Suz

Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

ROFL, I laughed at "hot flash", Wendy. Ain't that the truth!

When I was getting them in full force they would start in my HAIR and rivers of sweat would pour from my forehead (and everywhere else :redface: ) on down until my whole body was slippery. YUCK!

Good to point out that it could be something innocent, and not necessarily evil causing the sweat.

Suz

12. klmno

klmno Active Member

A man who was attracted to her was looking at her and talking to her- she wasn't saying anything so it couldn't have been the result of lieing in this case. I wondered if it meant she wanted him to go away and leave her alone, she was nervous, or she was also attracted to him. But, yep, I guess it could just have been a hot flash!