Weird situation.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
As most of you know I've been spending a lot of my time in my yard this past summer. I use my walker.

One day a "neighbor" from 2 blocks over (never met the man in my life) came up to me & asked if he could walk Sally for community service. He had a DUI & need to complete community service ~ I agreed with one caveat. If Sally balked it wasn't going to happen. Yup, Sally balked & that was it (I stood & watched & this gentleman half dragged her down the block; I yelled & had him bring Sally back).

This man, from the moment I meant him gave me an icky feeling ~ he just didn't look safe. He came when the workmen were here & they commented they wouldn't let him do anything about my house. At that time, he was out in my yard, kind of scoping it out. The plumber walked outside & asked him if he needed anything.

I think it was last week, this same man came to my door asking me if I had any pain medications. His wife had a kidney transplant & had run out of her medications. My immediate answer was "no" & that his wife should be taken to ER if she was in that level of pain.

Since then, the plants under my bedroom window have been tromped down like someone is scoping things out in my house. Sally isn't the watchdog she once was - totally blind & losing her hearing.

I called the police & explained the situation; they told me if he comes in my yard or my door that I wasn't to approach him or answer the door. Call 911 & the police would be out to check this man out.

Since this time, I haven't felt completely safe here. Not that we don't live in a safe family neighborhood ~ between kt's friends & this guy I just don't like being here alone.

Is it worth it to get an alarm system? Am I just being paranoid? I love my little house & want to enjoy being here.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Got any big male friends who could be dropped off to hang out randomly the next couple of weeks? (dropped off so he can't tell by a car being present if the big male is present or not...)

Beyond that, I'd be tempted to look into an alarm system.

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't think you're being paranoid. An alarm system might be a good idea. Also, let your neighbors know what's up. Ask them to be more hypervigilant. This man isn't just a threat to you.

Do you have blinds in your windows?

Creepy man. The pain medication bit would have been enough for me to call the cops.

Don't go outside without a phone with a preset dial for 911.

I'm so sorry. Ugh.

bby31288

Go for the alarm system. Its a little piece of mind for you! Enjoy your house and your renovations! You deserve it! Most alarm companies are pretty good now. They install free, etc. You pay for the monthly service. Its almot impossible to put a price on piece of mind.

donna723

Linda, I don't think you're being paranoid at all! I'd sure get the alarm system installed! Do you know where this guy lives? If he's really doing community service, the police already know who he is ... maybe they can keep an eye on him for you. Did you tell the police about the plants under the windows being stepped on?

Josie

I would get an alarm. I have had an alarm since 1992 when I had a similar creepy situation. The peace of mind is worth it.

DammitJanet

I would go for the alarm too. You are a single woman alone in a house. This dude doesnt sound normal to me. Normal people dont ask neighbors they dont know if they have pain medications. They might ask a family member but you dont go asking your neighbor down the road that you dont know well. Hell I wouldnt ask a neighbor if they had eggs anymore. Those days are gone.

graceupongrace

Linda,

Glad you alerted the police. That is really creepy, especially the part about the pain medications. And if (if!) he is assigned to do community service, it seems like he would be assigned to an organization of some kind, not helping neighbors at random. It sounds as if he was trying to befriend your dog so she wouldn't bark at him if he came around.

The alarm system isn't a bad idea if it's in your budget, but you should still be ready to dial 911 if he's in your yard.

DDD

Absolutely, go for it. In addition to your peace of mind regarding intruders the alarm systems that my neighbors have include an emergency contact
bracelet or necklace so that if they fall or feel ill the 24 hour service people are available for help. That should be reassuring to you personally with your recent health issues. It's well worth the money. DDD

DDD

by the way, community service hours have to be done via a registered agency like Salvation Army etc. It is never done one on one with-o permission from the supervisor. You are right to be concerned. DDD

donna723

Some people would break in to your house just to steal any prescription drugs they might find. There's a very high 'street value' for that stuff. And with you having your medical issues, he probably figures that you are likely to have lots of prescription medications around the house!

With the dog walking thing, he MAY have been trying to befriend her so she wouldn't bark at him or to see what kind of temperment she had. But he's definitely lying about the 'community service' part! If he had been sentenced to do real community service work, the COURT or whoever sentenced him would decide what and where he did the work and usually it's working at some type of charitible organization or city or county facility. People doing real community service work can't just decide to volunteer to walk a neighbors dog and have it count towards his community service hours! It doesn't work like that. It might count as a 'good deed' if he was a Boy Scout, but I seriously doubt that he's one of those either! This man has already scoped you out, your house and your dog, and was trying to get information out of you to see if you have prescription medications in your house!

Please get that alarm system ASAP! Another thing ... is your house and yard well lit at night? Do you have security lights? You need to make sure that all your windows are visible and not hidden by bushes or shrubbery too, so that if someone were trying to get in, they would be easily seen.

Last edited:

muttmeister

The alarm system sounds like a great idea. Is there any chance your dog would like to have a rottie or a doberman or something like that as a room mate?

graceupongrace

Donna has a good point about the lights.

Motion detector lights outside your windows are wonderful. You not only will spot potential intruders; you'll get to see some interesting critters -- the rabbits, possums, etc. will set them off. lol! :tongue:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Alarm! we live in a pretty safe area but you just never know. I do not believe in guns, but i am going to get a Taser only because we are having more crimes committed around us involving drugs and drop houses, drugs etc.
There have been tons of reports on how people have saved themselves with Tasers.
My girlfriend has one in her house and in her car. Her husband is military and gone a lot.

Or Pepper Spay?

Maybe you can even take a personal safety class? If the Taser isn't something you are comfortable with?
I agree with the motion lights also.

donna723

Linda, something else. If you're outside doing yard work, it would be a very good idea to lock all your house doors behind you. Or, if you're working in the back yard, make sure the front door and all the windows are locked. Or if you're working in the front, make sure everything in the back is securely locked up too. And carry your cell phone with you at all times. Can't be too careful.

Put on your front porch a large pair of dirty men's workboots, it'll look like the man of the house took them off before entering, and he's inside! I read this is something good to do if you go away on vacation as well.

witzend

Linda, I forget why it is that you use a walker. The reason I bring it up is that you may be able to approach a support organization (such as MS Society, or Arthritis Association, etc.) and tell them your concerns. They may be able to offer you some sort of assistance with safety concerns around the house. It sounds as though this guy has scoped you out for a good place to get pain medications because of your walker. It sounds as though he has tried to befriend the dog to keep it from alerting you to his presence. Also, try your local law enforcement agency to see if they offer assistance of some sort. Ours used to offer locks and lighting for those who couldn't get them in on their own.

We have an alarm system that is monitored, it cost $99 to install and $39 a month to monitor. I also remember from the general CD board that people would buy window alarms from target or home depot to keep their kids from climbing out the window at night. I hope that you can get someone to help you with some of these installations so that they can be your extra eyes and ears with this man. Also, please contact your other neighbors and ask them to keep an eye out for you.

This is so unsettling! I'm sorry that it is happening, and hope that you will be able to get some peace of mind in your home.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Alarm system. Or is there a family member or a friend who has a nice big dog you can borrow long enough to scare this guy off. Or maybe a friend or relative who a is an intimidating (size wise) guy who could stay over a while. (these might be good ideas while you're doing something about an alarm system)

You're not paranoid in the least. Walking the dog was to see if she'd be a potential threat to him. Asking for pain medications was to see if he could intimidate you/ swindle you into giving them to him. Next move surely seems to be to attempt to break in.

Our block is a really nice place to live. But down the street little more than a block down is where the addicts in town hang out and live. Usually they leave us alone cuz we all watch out for each other.....once in a while though someone tries something. With Molly and Betsy inside and Rowdy outside I don't worry over much. All 3 dogs are rather intimidating and LOUD. Rowdy and Molly would shred them. (Betsy may be a coward, I dunno she's never had to protect us yet)

Keep a phone handy. Stay safe. You most certainly didn't need this.

((((hugs))))

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

sounds a little creepy to me - I don't think you can do community service at your own will. I believe you are assigned or have to actually do service for a community project or such (like a church, Goodwill, the park service, etc.).

You might want to call adt or one of the others. They are always running specials. My adt monitoring is $29 a month and I have door contacts three motion detectors on the interior, a smoke detector, and a heat detector (down in the basement by the furnace). That includes the service plan should any equipment go on the fritz. It's definately peace of mind. You can keep it on when you are in the house during the day, and also when out in the yeard (adt includes a remote for your keychain). It will also give you peace of mind when returning home. If you keep that wireless key fob with you, it also has a panic button if you are ever suprised by someone. Check the distance range to for when you are out in the yard. It is definately something worth adding to your monthly budget.

Stay safe.

Sharon