Welbutrin to help stop smoking WARNING

weenie1

crazy mom
My doctor put me on welbutrin to help me stop smoking. I took it for 3 weeks and it made me slow down but the side effects were too much. I was very cranky and would scream and yell at my children and husband. I would have fits of rage and hit my husband. I just want to warn everyone that just because it is used to treat mental disorders it is dangerous. I stopped taking it and have not had any raging. It erks me cause I cannot take anything to help me stop smoking. I cannot do the patches cause my heart, the gum makes me very ill. Don't know what else to do. But just wanted to warn everyone.

witzend

In all fairness, that sounds exactly like me trying to quit smoking without Welbutrin. Maybe it just wasn't enough help in quitting for you? I have faith that you will quit one day, and this just wasn't the right tool for you. Don't be too hard on yourself, and try again when you are ready.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ahhh yes.

If it makes you feel better I had plotted out in minute detail the murders of everyone who lived in our apartment community before it dawned on me that such behavior was not normal and perhaps I needed to contact the doctor, who told me to NOT take another pill and to flush it!!

husband on the other hand, while more than a bit grouchy (but then he always is to some degree) managed to quit smoking with it for 3 months............until I told him to start smoking or I was filing for divorce. lol With him it was not the drug, it was the quitting smoking.......trust me.

It's an adverse reaction to the welbutrin, unusual but some people have it. I did, Nichole did...........and looks like you did.

It worried me when I decided to try Chantix. But I had not one adverse reaction to that medication...........I simply couldn't afford to refill it, but it worked fantastic.

klmno

I tried it for a week once years ago when my dr was pushing me to quit smoking. It turned me into a walking time bomb. It's an AD and some people just can't take ADs.

H

HaoZi

I was on it for both depression and to quit smoking. I still smoke, but it worked great for my depression. I did manage to quit for a while a few years ago (using the patch) but I was cranky (to put it mildly). Now I'm trying to cut back and use the electronic cigarette instead of a real one sometimes.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I thought I was the only one this had happened to!!! (OK, my Dad, too.)

About 9 years ago doctor put me on low dose. NO ONE wanted to be around me - EVEN ME. It was a good thing I was single and lived alone at the time. My boyfriend anf BFF at the time threatened to call the cops on me (I'm normally fairly mild mannered), and BFF was an STNA and was the one that suggested I ask the doctor about the Wellbutrin. Well... doctor told me to STOP, till I got in to see him. 24 hours later, we KNEW that's what it was.

The Commit lozenges make me vomit. Immediately - we're talking within 30 seconds of putting it in my mouth - and so does the gum.

I'm going to see about Chantix, next.

Mattsmom277

I was prescribed it many many years ago for depression and within 48 hours was told do not take another one (I had decided no way I was anyhow!). It made me so disoriented and disconnected and feeling very hateful. On the other hand, I know others who had great success with this medication for depression and to help quit smoking. I hope you can find another aid to help if you do try to stop smoking again. I've heard good things about the nasal spray but I'm not sure of its cost.

P

PatriotsGirl

Yup, did the same to me. It really worked to quit smoking but I was a terror! I ended up smoking again later on, though. At first it was with drinks but then it became a habit again. After I got bronchitis I threw the things away and asked myself why I was doing such a horrible thing to myself? Haven't touched them since and the smell makes me want to vomit. It's so disgusting. I can't believe I ever touched those nasty things. It's all psychological, by the way. It's a habit and you need to break the habit. At the times you would normally smoke, you need to occupy yourself doing something else. The craving goes away. I promise. I would smoke after dinner so after dinner I would go straight to cleaning up and by the time I was done, the craving was gone. Instead of smoking when I woke up, I would go straight to brushing my teeth. Eventually the habit becomes not smoking.

H

HaoZi

It's been proven that it is harder for a woman to quit than a man, and the only drug more addictive than nicotine is heroin (of course meth wasn't studied at the time, so that may have changed a little). I can become positively homicidal not just without nicotine, but just when running low on cigs from the stress of knowing my supply is limited.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I used to get up in the morning, have a cigarette, then get ready. Now it's straight to getting ready. My worst is when I am bored, or driving somewhere.

I've really cut back, had quit last summer till my bad news. THAT was a chain-smoking day! I have also noticed that, besides when I'm bored, when I am around certain people I smoke a lot, others not at all. Yesterday I was in a class all day, and we had really short breaks so I just didn't - except at lunch, when I was (GASP) driving home for lunch.

weenie1

crazy mom
I tried chantex bout 3 yrs ago and i went from 3 pks a day to 1 in a month. My problem was I could not afford the refill, if I could I would take it but I cant afford it. With the wellbutrin I went from 2 1/2 packs to less than 1 but I was physically attacking my husband and screaming at my children, its just not worth it. Someday I will be able to quit.

klmno

The gum is the only thing that helps me. I don't know if I mentioned that or not in my first post. I have never completely quit using the gum but have cut down to 3 cigs a day on it. Some people like the patches better but you don't get to adjust how fast or slow you get any nicotine in your system with them- if I'm stressed I can chomp the koi out of a piece of nicorette (or store brand equal) and get a "boost" of nicotine. I'm sure some people have had success just using medications but I personally don't know a single person who has successfully quit just using medications.

weenie1

crazy mom
I can't do patches cause my heart, the gum and lozengers make me real sick. I am just going to keep praying that God will give me the will power to stop. I lost over 100 lbs 8 yrs ago and have kept it off, I do know why I can't get the will power to stop smoking, I did to lose weight. Maybe deep down I am afraid that I will gain all the weight back if I stop smoking. I don't know, cause I really want to quit. I want it for my health and for my kids. It just seems that life is so stressful that I find it hard to just give them up. I do not like the way that they have control over me, I should not let something to do. But hopefully with God's help I will be able to soon. I feel bad cause when I had my 1st of 10 heart attacks I promised my 7 yr old I would quit by this christmas and that was in Jan.

klmno

Well, this might sound silly and won't help with nicotine urges, but I'll throw it out since it seems you are very consicience driven, and with good reason. Maybe try a stress rock, crystal, or something else small you can keep in your pocket or wear on your wrist as a reminder of why you want to quit and something to rub on when you feel like smoking. Also, have you tried the electronic cigs or something low-cal to keep in your mouth when you have the urge to smoke- even a toothpick? And maybe start carrying bottled water with you and keep lots of fruit around- grapes, for instance, that can easily be taken with you in a baggie. I'm just throwing out ideas that I've tried or heard others say they've tried and helped. Water really does help.

H

HaoZi

I made a homemade version of that "Master Cleanse" stuff that one time I did manage to quit on the patch. I didn't use it as a diet/cleanse, I made it with extra cayenne and when I wanted a smoke (even with the patch that urge is there) I took a swig. I don't handle spicy things well, even black pepper makes my mouth burn, so getting a dose of cayenne instead of a cig was a bit of a deterrent. Maybe I should try that again, I'd forgotten about adding it in the time I did manage to quit.