Welcome Frustrated 440, Intro Post

frustrated440

Thanks for responding SRL. I agree, I am trying to absorb everything I can about his sessions. They also are really good about telling me about different techniques they did and what they are for. I guess I do have a couple concerns though...One thing is that I hope they really know what they are doing because the Occupational Therapist (OT) seems pretty fresh out of college and the ST is around my age and she has refered to her kids so that makes me feel good that she is a mother, the Occupational Therapist (OT) I'm sure is not even married yet. I guess I just worry alot, I dont know if anyone reads people magazine but there was an article about Jenny McCarthy and her autistic son. I was reading it today and I noticed some similarities with- my son. The hand flapping even though my son hardly ever does that anymore. Plus at the school where I work there have been kids in the past who have done some flapping and they are not autistic. The other thing was, she said her son repeated language. My son Jack does that alot although he does have original speech. I just wish there was more which is why we are seeing an ST. She did also mention that one time in a playgroup a child ran off with a toy that her son was playing with and she thought, wow how nice of my son not to even be bothered that some bully just ran off with- his toy. I remember a similar situation that happened with my son at a play group. This one kid there had behavior issues and went up to many kids and took their toys away and one day he smacked a toy out of my son's hand and my son sort of froze and just seemed shocked. He didnt cry and his reaction seemed similar to Jenny McCarthy's son's reaction. I was right there when it happened and told the little boy that we don't hit and he did it again. At that point I led Jack away while a friend of mine who knew the boy's mother told her what her son had done. This was a long time ago and if it happened again, I can not say if my son would react the same. I'm thinking he probably wouldnt because if his little brother has any toy, Jack is always trying to take it away from him but who knows. It's like I said though, Jack could be so mild, just on the spectrum somewhere I guess. The ST at the school where I work says she highly recommends preschool for him because she believes alot of things will change for him. I do believe that because I had started to see subtle changes in him in just the few times he had attended the other school. I am just going to keep doing what I am doing with the speech and Occupational Therapist (OT). I did read in the article that kids need intensive speech and behavioral therapies at a young age and that Jenny McCarthy considers her son to be in recovery. She also has done a special diet with him. If my son ever needs a diagnosis because at this point we just don't know, but if he does, I think I want to look into seeing what kinds of tests can be done to check metal levels in his body or any other kinds of tests that can tell me if certain levels of things are too high in his body because maybe there is something I can exclude from his body or some natural approach I could take to help him. Right now there just seems not enough to go forward with that. Has anyone tried Omega 3's or anything like that? I would love to hear more about it.

SRL

I had the same concerns when my son's first ST was fresh out of college, even worse since Hyperlexia is an unusual condition that ST's aren't used to dealing with. She wound up being excellent--their ability to work with the age group and willingness to flex to what the child needs counts most.