Well found out why my ear hurt so bad

DammitJanet

I have nerve damage in my right ear!

That is also why I cant hear as well. The doctor told me he wanted to send me for an xray to rule out a tumor on the nerve but he really doubted it would be that. Most likely just neurological nerve damage. Not something I am surprised at considering I have it in other assorted places.

Also makes complete sense now why my ear hurt so badly and why the numbing agent didnt really do much good and why it felt like it was zapping me with electrical pulses!

However, when the doctor said xray...he didnt tell the exact truth! I went to wait for his assistant to schedule this xray and I heard those dreaded words "MRI" come out of her mouth! OH HECK NO! I jumped up. Im waving my arms at her going...Oh no...no no no. I dont do MRI's. NO! He said xray!

By now I am almost in a panic. I told her I would do an xray or a ct scan but no way I was doing an MRI unless they sedated me with versed!

She goes out and comes back saying...there was an open MRI in the next city up from us. I told her been there done that and I ran from the place after taking 40mgs of valium. Cant do it. Literally folks. I cant do MRI's if I am awake.

There is an MRI on file from when I was in my coma...use that!

They are supposed to call me back...lmao.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, that explains alot. Did they find something to get rid of the pain?? Can't say I blame you on the MRI's. I've not had one, but Travis hates them.......and usually nothing bothers him.

DammitJanet

Well...I, myself, sorta found a way to fix the pain...lol. I increased my neurontin because it occurred to me that it felt like nerve pain so I figured I would treat it like nerve pain!

Now that the infection is gone, all I have left is ringing, popping and this odd swishing air sound.

I dont know that I will even attempt this MRI at all. I cant find any conclusive answer on the net about if medicare/medicaid will even pay for hearing aids. I know Medicare wont and Medicaid will but...from what I can tell with what I have seen with dealing with my issues...I wouldnt trust it if you have both. Like with my therapist, Medicaid will pay her but Medicare wont so because Medicare is my primary, medicaid wont pay.

flutterby

Fly away!
Which came first, the infection or the nerve pain? Cause I'm wondering if it's possible that the infection was just so nasty that the swelling inflamed the nerves, but that they will eventually calm back down. You know it takes them a little longer.

But, I can't imagine how that hurts. *shudder* Does the swishing air sound feel like a flutter, too? Makes you want to rub your ear?

DammitJanet

No, they said the damage was long standing and not something that had anything to do with with the fluid that had been in my ear. Who knows.

The swooshing air sounds like blowing air that is being...well...blown from inside my head out threw my ear but of course, that really cant happen...lol.

KTMom91

Oh, Janet, I don't blame you...I didn't even like having an MRI of my knee! NO WAY would I want my head in there! I would absolutely freak out.

klmno

You can't seem to get a break, can you? I would have thought it was a busted ear drum by the way you describe the ear- but I'd have no way to know one type of ear problem from another. I hope you can work something out about the MRI.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Janet, so sorry to hear of the continuing issues after last years illness. It's amazing how much damage can be done to your body while you're out of it, isn't it? As I recall my insurance (MNCare) at the time paid for my hearing aids. You'll likely have to check in with a financial worker.

by the way, I hate that swooshing in the ear(s). I have it in both ears & it drives me crazy. Once I put my hearing aids in it calms to a gentle roar.

My secret to the MRI (I've had at least a dozen over the last 3 years) is ativan along with a cool rag over my eyes, deep breathing & concentrating on the noise the machine makes; I make up silly phrases in time to the sounds or tunes, whatever. I've had one open MRI (a luxury) at Mayo Clinic. It was wonderful & I fell asleep during the process.

I hope your doctor finds a different way to examine for possible nerve damage.

DammitJanet

Linda...I tried that with the open MRI...I went in there thinking I could do it too.

I had a horrible time years ago with a MRI machine. Probably when I was 28 or 29. I was having severe headaches and they sent me to a local machine here. This was back in the days with really tight tubes. They got me stuck halfway in the tube...head first. I have always been severely claustrophobic anyway and they didnt even give me ativan or xanax beforehand. I was told by my doctor later they should have checked me out before they even put me on the table with a ring to see if I would fit in the tube. It took them a long time to extricate me and I was just freaking out!

Never again!

Well...years later I got brave and went to get my knee done at a open MRI up in Fayetteville. I had 20 mgs of valium but I really thought I did well. I was able to sit there and let them do my knee. Of course it was open and they only did up to my thigh! LOL.

I thought I had this MRI thing whipped.

So when the doctor said I needed a head and neck MRI done I went in with a bit of trepidation but armed with 40mgs of valium I thought I was doing well. Until they strapped me onto the table and put my head in that torture device so I couldnt move...and that stupid machine came down and almost touched my tummy! Then it made a noise and I screamed....I told them I had to pee...right that instant. I made them let me up and I went in the bathroom...grabbed my clothes and ran out of that building like it was on fire. I never went back. I never will. I was standing next to my car waiting for Tony to catch up to me and the technician came out to attempt to talk to me and I told them point blank...There was absolutely nothing that test was going to show that I was interested in seeing. I would rather die.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I am soooo glad I'm not the only one who can get as anxious as that over something. You with MRI's is me with interstate highways. Not happening. Just not happening.

Although the visual on you running out of there and Tony and the tech trying to catch up gave me a much needed chuckle this morning. lol

witzend

OK, Missy. I'm going to be the stern mom now. Get someone to take the day off, have them give you the versed if necessary, pull up your big girl panties and get the MRI if that is the best diagnostic tool! You know that this is what you would advise your husband or your kids, so I'm going to advise you to do what you know will help from delaying the inevitable - "Get it over with now!"

Someone take the mom apron back from me. It itches...

DammitJanet

Oh if they will give me the versed, I will do it. I have no problem getting put under. I dont mind that at all. Sedate me. Do a general. I dont care. Just dont expect me to go into that machine with any part of me at all awake...lol.

As I told my therapist yesterday, I dont have enough klonopin...and I dont think they make enough...for me to get in there. They would be pumping my stomach as I went through the machine.