Well, I did it!

donna723

I am officially a 'foster failure'! Today I emailed the Boston Terrier rescue organization and told them that I would be keeping my little Trace! He has been here exactly 26 days and I have fallen so in love with this little one there is no way I could give him up now! And he has just blossomed! In 26 days he has gone from being the shy, scared little guy who would cringe when I touched him to a happy, rambunctious, mischievious, playful little boy who is bursting with energy! His injuries have healed beautifully, his feet are fine now and he compensates very well for his missing eye - doesn't even seem to notice! And the swelling under his jaw from the salivary gland injury/infection is almost gone. He's getting acquainted with the other dogs at his own pace and it think they will get along fine.

He's healthy and he's happy here, he's having a good time and wallowing in all the toys. He's sweet and lovable and he is able to trust people now and goes right to anyone, sits in their lap and covers them with kisses. No need to find another home for him - I think he already has one. In fact, I think I knew that all along!

So apparently I'm a miserable excuse for a 'foster mom' but there's no way I am giving up this dog now! My hat is off to those kind people who can foster them and love them as their own and then be able to give them up ... but I just can't! And four dogs isn't really all that many - I do know a few people who have more!

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/donna723/Trace/?action=view&current=Trace2016.jpg

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/donna723/Trace/?action=view&current=Trace2015.jpg

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Congratulations, Donna! Gee, why am I not surprised? lol. I think it's wonderful that Trace has made such tremendous progress in such a short time. And I love it that you couldn't let him go.

Hugs,
Suz

mstang67chic

Going Green
When I announced that we would not be finding Chester a home because he had one with us.....I got a lot of responses. Most of them consisted of one word that, unfortunately, won't work here because of the censor. But...I'm sure you can figure out what I mean.

Lollipop!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Donna, actually lots of fosters wind up adopting their charges. Not really all that uncommon. lol

Trace is a doll, and it's obvious he knew he'd found his forever home.....he was just waiting for you to realize it too. lol:D

Wonderful he's progressed so far in such a short time.

Hugs

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, if it's any consolation, I've had Jake the pseudo-Siamese for about four years now. He was a rescued stray from the local shelter. I took him home to foster him because he had an horrific eye infection, and upper respiratory infection, and weighed about half what he should have.

I figured, what the heck--I certainly know how to deal with this type of nursing care in cats, I don't have any other cats to be infected, and my dog likes cats.

He was terrified when I first got him home. He'd gone from starving in the wild, to living in a tiny cage in an insanely loud and busy environment full of stranger cats.

I used to have to chase him down to poultice his eye and give him his medications. Over time he got over being afraid of me...he warmed up to the dog right away.

Now, years later, he is a fourteen lb mushbucket who adores people and being handled.

The only downside to this boy, who was fully sexually mature by the time he was neutered (done as soon as he was healthy and had put on some weight) is that he not only sprays outside, but refuses the litterpan completely. Twice a day he will go to the door and just like a dog, ask to be let out.

If the weather's good, he also goes hunting and is careful to bring the 'good parts' back to. If the weather is bad, he zips outside, does his business, and zips back in.

I worry about the bitter winters up here, but there's no real alternative. Luckily, I have vinyl flooring, so the worst case scenario is that I have to break out the mop.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well.....it was meant to be. Here in honor of your self-proclaimed inability to stop counting (lol) is some seasonally appropriate help so you're not tempted to go past 4. I felt this was even more appropriate since you have become the light of Traces life.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw3VxHqwbk"]YouTube - Sesame Street - The Count subtracts flames[/ame]

CONGRATULATIONS! Trace & Donna - may your relationship be long & loving.

donna723

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OMG, Star! Where did you find that?

The lady from the rescue emailed me back this morning. She said she figured all along that I would end up keeping him! Gee, I wonder how she knew?

He's apparently gotten over his fear of Freebie, my biggest dog, and he actually was trying to play with her this morning! They're still a little leery of each other but it's baby steps ...

DazedandConfused

I don't think I could be a doggie foster mom; I could never let them go. Even when we PAID for our Candi and she hid behind our bed for a week, had rotten teeth, and was obviously neglected, I couldn't give her up. It's taken 18 months of patience and persistence, but she's come a long way.

I'm so happy for Trace and you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think of "THE COUNT" every time I have added a dog.....and his little

ah ah ah laugh...

ah ah ah.....:vampire2:

Of course....Trace is an :angel:but I can still here the count, counting in my head....ONE....One dog in your house ah ah ah....TWO! Two dogs in your house...ah ah ah...

witzend

There is a reason I don't do doggy fostering. This is it! LOL! Maybe when we are ready to get a another we will try this.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Bunch of

LOLLIPOPS

Whine whine whine!

I have recently found myself searching the local Petfinder...
I want a pup so BAD. husband caught me one day and just said what are you doing to yourself?:(:sad-very: