Well, I suppose the dung just hit the rotating blades.

klmno

I honestly feel for you. But unless you can find someone who wants to pursue this as a cause, it's very difficult to win against the sd- I was told it takes about $10,000 to take it thru the course of due process and court hearings. It might be different there. I just want you to know that you aren't alone. My difficult child came out of Department of Juvenile Justice with an iep stating he needed immediate transitional services put into place. Did they do it? Nope. I would continue to advocate for the services I think are in my son's best interest (I know those would be different than what Wee needs) but I can't afford it because I spent thousands with custody, hearings, sd issues, etc over the past years. With everything in me though, I know the sd has played a role in failing my son, too. I am not suggesting that you give up but just that you prepare yourself and start thinking about how far you can afford to and are willing to go with this.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have the blessing/curse of seeing Wee's bio father often, even if from a distance. People tell me Wee is much like DEX as a child, except the deck wasn't quite so stacked against DEX - DEX didn't have the Learning Disability (LD)'s that Wee does. Believe me when I say I am aware of what his future may hold.

I appreciate what you're saying. I am preparing for this to consume the next year of my life, at the least. For now, this is what I have to do. Things may change down the road, but if Wee doesn't get some education and help now, that will be his future. I can't live with the just yet.

klmno

I can't live with the just yet.

And I don't think either you or Wee should have to. I have had to think about how much of my son's problems might be heredity from my mother's bro or difficult child's father, too, but I am not going to throw him away because of that, even now and even tho the system apparently has. I whole heartedly agree that educating Wee as much as possible and as he has a legal right to get is what you should be fighting for. I also agree with the advice to document everything you can. If it's any consolation, once I started sending sertified letters with documentatyion attached to the higher ups at the sd and making sure the letters cc'd a Special Education attny, the sd backed down. TG because I was truly bluffing in how far I could afford to go with it. I can say that now that my son will probably never be in a noraml public sd again. That's why I am bringing this up- it might not be the same situation for you but in ours, it came to a point where I either had to put on one heck of a defense front or back down and give in. Thankfully, when I presented that front and didn't let their methods get to me they backed down. I think it was because their higher ups figured out that I had adequate reason for fighting them. You do too so get those ducks ready to show!!

Hi Shari,

I don't see anything in the language of IDEA which indicates this attorney is legally part of the IEP team. I think it's pretty arrogant of the school to slip the attorney's name on the list, and think you're not going to question it.

Consider taking action to give him the boot before the meeting even gets started. Show them the law and ask specifically, even in writing, why they think he meets the criteria to attend.

I feel steam rising from my ears and nose when I think of this attorney.

Even if he ends up attending, don't think for a minute that you can't kick his butt. I would probably think about mostly ignoring him (just my first thought).

Regarding letters to the editor -- I don't really understand that but I'm sure it has to do with money. However it's Federal Law we're talking about as you know, no matter what the townsfolk say.

It's a hard journey to pursue what is right -- but you are doing it. Be proud.

Last edited:

Wiped Out

Staff member
No extra advice to add-just sending hugs. You are in the right and all of us warrior moms will be there with you in spirit.