Well, I went and did it...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I'm registered to study conversational Italian at our community college! I've been wanting to do something other than couponing for the women's shelter, or parenting/wifeing/cooking, etc...maybe I can meet other language lovers and get out of my rut. husband is perfectly happy sitting in his chair reading and dozing off, but he actually started this whole registration process and he is taking beginning French! We will be commuting together.

We went today to buy his book and it reminded me of our days in college together. I noticed that I had some spring in my step. There was a guard at the door of the bookstore, he would not let me enter because I had a purse! Even the senior citizens are immediately suspected as possible shoplifters, YIKES! I immediately became a rebellious 19 y.o. again. That was instant plastic surgery on my self concept. Thank you for actually seeing me, Mr. Security. I'm so used to being invisible!

One day (while we are still lucid enough to remember our names) we will rent a house in Italy for a month and you'll are invited!

Sorry, Janet! They did not offer beginning Portuguese:rofl:.

klmno

That is so neat!! And it's even better that your husband is taking one for himself, too! I bet you two do meet people, but this will surely give you more to do and talk about and get you out of the rut you feel you're in.

Way To Go!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Yay for you, 3shadows. You sure didn't strike me as being invisible.

I have taken conversational Italian twice maybe 3 times. I need to be immersed for a few months in order to fine tune it. I can get by but it isn't always pretty.
I was just looking at vacation rentals in Italy the day before yesterday. Thinking ahead 2 yrs for the 30th anniversary. Hoping that both our families would join us for a week(then get out) LOL.
I hope you and husband get the opportunity to spend the time there.

Enjoy your classes. I bet you put those youngsters to shame.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
LOL, Fran! WHAT youngsters? It's adult-ed; well, yes, you're right, they probably are all younger than me. It's FREE for me (senior citizen, you know...).

I grew up listening to opera, trying to follow the libretto, plus every time my dad got sloshed he was moved to recite The Divine Comedy in the original. Daddy got sloshed a lot.

Thanks, J. I actually understood that...

Klmno, Thanks for the support, husband doesn't talk much so this will be interesting.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I need to find a conversational German class. I lived there for nearly eight years, and being that I speak Yiddish, Learning German came pretty easy to me. Unfortunately, after all these years with no one to speak to, I've forgotten a lot of it, and there's this awful "American" accent creeping in when I do try to speak.

It would be interesting since I can still READ German; I just have trouble speaking it.

husband learned German at home (His father was from Austria) and was fluent from infancy. When he was alive after coming back stateside, we speant an awful lot of time speaking German to stay in practice.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Way cool 3S!!! I am sooo not brave enough for a language course! Spanish and I didn't get along well in high school. lol Although I do enjoy sign language. :)

Have lots of fun!!! :D

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG 3 shadows....you and I.....linguists as heart. I would LOVE to learn Italian.

I signed up for Latin at the tech college .....I waited....I waited....I got a cancellation letter. I was the ONLY one that signed up. :( Okay that's TWICE now people.

They offered Spanish I or French. I already took French, and no one offered Celtic. She suggested Chinese. That was interesting, but not a lot of Mandarin useage here. Soooooo she said "AHHhhhhhh Arabic."

I thought...."mmm..?" "I speak as you know a tiny amount....enough to tell a woman I like sleeping with her husband." (thinking it was I love MY man) So I said yes....I know that alphabet...would need a refresher, but okay. Then she said the course was $200....not $99 like the others. So now I'm saving the other $100 for that....and after Dude hit us up for a loan for probation? I'm now saving up $200 again for Arabic. Salom Halek Aleha...(or something like that) :tongue: - Means Go in peace. I'd like to but I live with Dude....:whiteflag:

CONGRATS ON MAKING THE GRADE.....Personally I'd like to be a tower of babble. (Then again, maybe I am?) lol

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Ma'am, in my case that would be a Tower of Bubbly...a jeroboam, nay! A melchizedek!

Does anyone here know why large champagne bottles are named after figures in the Old Testament?

KTMom91

3S, that is seriously cool!

Learning Italian, as well as Irish Gaelic, are on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, my only language options around here are Spanish, French, German, and Hmong. Guess it's time to look into Rosetta Stone.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Hmong might be really good up here. A lot of Hmong families settled up here after the Viet Nam war when they could no longer stay at home safely due to having fought for the US.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Since I am linguistically challenged I am in awe of anyone who can actually carry on a conversation in a language other than English...... but would love to visit Italy. Being on a college campus is invigorating...... I think you pick up energy just by visiting!!!! Enjoy the Class!!!!

DammitJanet

I visited Italy when I was a teen. The only thing I learned how to say was "how much is it" and I can say that now but how to actually write it hear without going to the translator, I cannot do. Something like quanta costa.

I was in a Latin Class and that was our class trip...lol.

At what age do they start letting "senior citizens" take classes for free?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think.....

Champagne bottles are named after kings? in the old testament. I can't spell most of them....but I don't know why.