Well, it was nice of them to let me know

flutterby

Fly away!
The school psychiatric called me today to let me know that he forgot to put in the report that difficult child failed the hearing test in her right ear. In OCTOBER.

She has an appointment with the GP tomorrow to take a peak at her ears and see if there is anything going on that could be obstructing hearing, then next step will be a hearing evaluation if needed.

:hammer:

Marguerite

As you said - at least they let you know.

Think back - would it explain things at all?

I hope you can get some help, fast. The GP will probably do a basic, quick hearing test (the ticking watch behind his back, kind of thing). Is difficult child likely to want to hide any hearing loss? Or will she be glad of an answer that could lead to help?

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We got a similar report with difficult child 2, but it was within days of the test via phone call from the nurse, followed by a written confirmation about a week later. I'm shocked that they waited so long to tell you!

In our case, he'd had some nasal congestion from allergies, so I chalked it up to that. When I asked him about it, he admitted his ears had felt plugged up lately. I'm probably a horrible mom, but I never bothered to take him in to see the pediatrician about it.

I hope it turns out to be a fluke for your difficult child too.

Just wanted to throw out an FYI. I had tubes put in my ears almost 2 years ago after a lot of infections. Just recently the right tube fell out. The hearing in both ears is testing normal, but the quality and volume in my left ear is so amazingly better that I don't think I'm going to last long before I beg the ENT to replace the right tube. All I'm saying is that if there is a minor hearing concern, even if things test normal, keep that thought in your head.

flutterby

Fly away!
They've tested at school other years and she's always passed.

GP didn't find anything medically (excess ear wax, etc), so she has a hearing evaluation on Jan 26th. She's already going to the Speech and Hearing place for speech therapy, so we got in faster.

She was sick a lot in October, so that could have been the reason for failing. Still, they should have let me know. Like back in October.