Well, now THAT was interesting....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
easy child 1 and I were getting ready to walk out the door to exchange a Christmas gift when my cell phone rang. I ran to get it but missed the call. It was DEX.
I fully expected this was another request for him to get wee difficult child for his whack-job girlfriend to get her "family" photo. Thankfully, that wasn't it at all. In his message, he said he had HIS freezer and was driving past my house RIGHT NOW, taking it to HIS house and some of my meat was in it. I could call him to get it sometime.
Back-peddle a bit, back in April, when our deep freezes both croaked, exMIL offered to put some of our stuff in their freezer. They have two, and DEX uses the second one to store his hunting stuff in, etc. When we got a new deep freeze, not everything would fit in it at the time. We've used enough now that everything would fit, but no one had thought about going to pick up the rest of it. Of course, we didn't realize DEX was going to take off with the freezer, either.
So, anyway, I returned the call and he didn't answer. The meat was in a feed sack, duct taped shut, so I left a message to set the bag out and let me know where I can pick it up, and I would get it later that day. The temp was below freezing, so it would have been fine.
While leaving the message, exMIL tried to call, so I turned around and called her back. She said DEX was on a tirade, he took off with the freezer and was being completely out there, but that she and exFIL would be sure to get my stuff out of it. She said DEX was mad about something, but she wasn't sure what. She suspected that whacko girlfriend had kicked him out, but wasn't sure. She knew DEX had punched a hole in a door or wall in whacko girlfriend's house, and that I needed to stay far away from them and not go to their house and get the meat (I'm not even sure where their house is, quite frankly. I know what road, but don't know what house.)
So easy child and I go on about our business.
An hour later, DEX returns my call and proceeds to literally yell at me about my meat being in his freezer, and I can pick it up anytime, but not now and not later, and he's mad at me because his dad has called to pick up my meat out of his freezer, and I should not have gotten his parents involved, and besides that, he was leaving at that very moment to go visit a friend, and then he was going hunting, and I wasn't going to interrupt that, and then he was going out later, and even his dad couldn't get into where the freezer is unless he broke in, and his dad was capable of breaking in, but he didn't think he would break in, and....OMG it just went on and on and on. The gist being, he had my meat, I could have it back, but very much on his terms, and he was too busy to me to get it. (ps - the man got fired again, so both he and the girlfriend are jobless...) So, after a good 10 minutes of this, I calmly ask him if he is near the freezer now. Yes, he is. Right beside it. I then asked if it was in a garage or a basement or...? He said a garage. So I asked if you would set the bag of meat outside the garage door and I would pick it up later in the afternoon. He proceeded to yell, then, about not being responsible for what happened to it if he did that, and I assured him it would be fine, if something happens to it, its not a big deal.
So he hung up. Thank God. And I called exMIL and said....What the????!!?!?!?! She's pretty sure he's bipolar, and best she can figure is he's manic. We don't know exactly what he's mad about, tho I know him well enough to know it has nothing to do (really) with the freezer...that just became the focus of his attention. But she said DEX and the girlfriend were not in a good place, either one of them, and she thought it was best if I stay far away from them. She has recently told the girlfriend, again, to not buy Christmas gifts for the kids she doesn't know, because they just resent it all the more because she claims they come from their absent father, and told her (again) that she has no right to ask for "family photos" with wee difficult child, because she is not his family, and DEX is absent as his father...no matter how much girlfriend wants to pretend he's changed, he hasn't. So exFIL picked up my meat, which...not sure what happened, but when I got it, was boxed in a fruit box...I'm guessing exFIL actually had to pick it up off the ground from DEX's.
Its been a while since I had to deal with that, thankfully. I feel for whack-job girlfriend, tho. I know what's she's putting up with. And the sooner she gets her head out of the clouds and looks at her "dream man" with a little dose or reality, the better off she'll be. But hey...I'm not going to be the one to tell her that.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Way To Go about staying calm!!!

Are we taking bets on whether or not he set the bag outside for you? My bet would be no.

And Way To Go XMIL, 'cause she sounds like she has a clue, though she's still enabling DEX. Still.

I like the title on your post - sounds like you're taking this with a grain of salt. Great!!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Honestly, it didn't even rattle me. Tho I was really glad to have not answered that first call! lol

He did put the meat out. When it left exMIL's, the meat was still in the bag duct taped shut. ExMIL said he was ranting, then, and they weren't going to fight with him over an ancient freezer they don't need....but he was ranting about my meat being in there and how he wasn't going to give it to us and this that and the other. She knew I wouldn't want a commotion made out of one bag of deer meat, and she was right....its not worth putting her in harm's way, and honestly, when DEX is like that, crossing him puts one in harm's way. That's why he has a record now...

But anyway, the meat was in a bag when it left exMIL's and was in a box when I picked it up. DEX told her some story about having to take it out to move the freezer in or some garbage that she didn't beleive, because his story didn't require it to be out of the bag to move...easy child 1 thinks they went thru it. I wonder if he didn't just dump it on the ground thinking I woul dhave to pick it up. That's his m.o.