Went back to work today

KTMom91

I figured, since it was only 3 1/2 hours, and there are chairs in the classroom so I can sit if I need to, I'd be all right. O...M...G...I hurt SO bad it's not even funny. And I can't believe how tired I am.

Those of you who have had this or a similar kind of surgery, help, please. Is this normal to be completely exhausted after a half day of work ten days after surgery? And if it is, how long does it take to not be exhausted, because I'm scheduled for three half days next week, and if I'm pushing myself too hard, I probably need to cancel some jobs.

witzend

I can't speak to this particular surgery. What I can speak to is surgery in general. It is invasive. Even if they are going into your body with teeny tiny cuts they are digging around getting to the right spot with their teeny tiny instruments. You just aren't prepared for that. If you are bruised, you're pretty early in your recovery. Don't think that there is something wrong unless you are fevered or have puss or something.

Three or four weeks seems like a more reasonable time to recover from the surgery itself. Then, as you know, you also have to make your knee start working again! (It is your knee right? Duh, but I'm a little out of it...)

I tell you, I have no idea of how it is that when we were kids, we all fell down and scraped our knees and elbows, spit on them, then got out and did it again the next day! I'd be in bed for at least a week, and bawling about it to anyone who would listen for a month or so while the scabs and bruises heal!

DammitJanet

If there is any walking at all, you are really going to feel it. If it is a totally sit down job you could probably manage a sit down job for 3 hours, 3 days. Yes you are going to be exhausted but if you keep the pain medications ongoing during this time it should help. Dont stop them to go to work.

My arthroscopy took me about a month of so to get to feeling anywhere close to back to normal. Probably closer to 5 weeks but that may have been because I was also getting those gel shots at the same time.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Knees are tricky. If you think about it, they support most activity. I had it on my left knee about 25 years ago, hence the nice limp that I try to hide to this day. But, I just chucked it under the 'deal with it' category.

Give yourself some time and take it slow. Are you wearing a brace to stabalize the knee?

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fairly typical. Honestly, I'm surprised the doctor let you go back to work. (or was this solely your idea?) The typical recovery is usually 6 wks. And I'd think with it being knee surgery, doctor would want you to take the whole 6 wks off. Not that you'll feel the exhaustion that whole time. But that knee needs some time to heal. You need PT. And pain all by itself is draining as all heck.

With my broken shoulder I pushed myself to hard, too fast. I'm lucky I didn't hurt the healing process. But boy did I regret it. I suffered pain levels that were out of this world because of it.

What did your doctor recommend as far as going back to work? Seems like you're rushing things a bit to me. If he didn't think to give you a time frame, I'm sure you can call his office and ask what is reasonable.

It's good that you're up and around, and that you're exercising the knee. But I'd think work.......where you can't just go and ly down, or whatever when you push to the limit, isn't such a good idea so soon.

((hugs))

KTMom91

Thank you, ladies, I knew I'd get good solid advice. This sub job is one I committed to back in April; the teacher coaches volleyball and likes having the same sub every Friday afternoon. I like it, too, because I get to know the kids, and since I've subbed for her for several years, I know her classroom routine.

The doctor didn't tell me not to work, he said I should be all right since it was only three hours and I could sit down when I needed to, since I was determined to go back. I'd picked up two other half days for next week, thinking I was all better, and cancelled one of those last night, because I realized I am NOT all better. Unless I feel better by tomorrow, I'm cancelling my Tuesday morning, and will gather my strength for next Friday.

Thanks again!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Don't do what you don't feel up to. It is very surprising how tired you are after even minor surgery. I had a cone biopsy done (cervix) and was off two weeks. The end of the first day, I felt and looked like death warmed over and I was a receptionist at the time. Just sat there all day and answered the phone.

everywoman

I'm probably the wrong one to ask. I am notorious for working through the pain. I went back to work full time last August---had knee surgery on Aug. 11th---teachers started the 15th---I went back the 19th---kids started the 21st. It was rough. I used a small scooter---not the handicapped one---a real moped--to get around the first few days when the kids weren't there. I then used a cane for about 2 months when I was working all day. I would come home, prop the legs--remember I had the other done in June---and cry. But, by December I was better. Now, even though my knees kill me somedays---I don't have the recovery pain anymore.