Westoboro Baptist Church? to picket NIU funerals?

donna723

From everything I have heard, the Westboro Baptist Church is neither Baptist nor a real "church'. They are basically a hate group mainly consisting of members of one family who follow the outrageous teachings of their twisted, severely homophobic leader. Apparently their weird brand of "logic" is now allowing them to view every bad thing that happens as God's punishment for the U.S government being "tolerant" of gay people! First it was the military funerals, now they're somehow connecting the college campus shootings and even the accidental death of Heath Ledger to government policies they don't agree with! Whatever happened to, "Love Thy Neighbor" and "God is Love"?

There is nothing more sick and despicable than using the name of the Lord and posing as a "church" to spread their message of hatred and intolerance. Does anybody know ... do they receive the same legal and tax advantages granted to legitimate churches?

Star*

call 911........call 911
If THIS entire scenario from the kid shooting classmates to this garbage agenda group trying to get their nose in the press - DOES NOT YELL to the American People -

SUPPORT MENTAL HEALTH -

I don't know what is.

Our state mental health awareness day is coming up soon - and in the brochures it asks you to bring your child to the rally - and write your congressmen and let them know you are interested in better rights for kids/families with mental health problems.

Maybe if you can't think of anything to do to honor those slain already from school shootings you could write your congressman and let them know that you are in favor of more budgeting for mental health services.

it would be nice to see some triumph come from this tragedy and that's for all the kids who died that day including the one who took his own life - his parents must be so devastated at this point - I can't imagine how they feel - I don't think any of us can. The whole horrible thing is just awful. And I won't give any more creedance to those in that group that oppose the funerals and whatever else they oppose. Basically they oppose common sense. Know what I mean??

They get no more of my thoughts - I'm putting those towards prayer for the people who lost CHILDREN that day.

dreamer

oh, star.I have been not just writing letters, sending emails or making phone calls for YEARS.

I testified at Pres Commision for mental health, have been to my state capital lobbying, have spoken at my county board, county mental health board and school board several times.....you betchya. Have been doing so for years-- and my husband has done similar within the local NAMI, VFW and Veterans Affairs.

You betchya.
Mental health issues have greatly severely negatively affected every single aspect of our day to day life for years.....between my husband, and myself and oldest difficult child and youngest sons diagnosis'es and how it has affected us, financially, socially, academically etc......

Oh yeah.we have been doing what we can......
we have also been involved with and particpated in various research studies, trials etc over the years. We keep hoping better we come ......we keep trying to help the better come.......

mstang67chic

Going Green
I wouldn't worry about anything physical happening. At least from these "church" members. They are very careful to not touch anyone so they can press charges if anyone so much as brushes up against them.

There was a soldier from my town that was killed in Iraq. These people came to the funeral and picketed. They were allowed a small area as far away as possible from where the family entered the building. (They had the funeral at the high school) The police were there but the only people yelling or saying anything (mostly yelling and some horrendously baaaaaaaad singing) were the protestors. The vet biker group someone mentioned is called the Patriot Guard Riders. They were also there in full force for the funeral. I didn't know the soldier killed but I had collected donated bottled water (as did a water company from the area) and passed it out to these men and women. In this particular case, there had to have been over a hundred members of this group at the funeral. Each one held an American flag on an 8 foot pvc pole for hours in the hot sun. Some made an honor guard at the entrance to the funeral and about 10-15 of them formed a line between the protestors and the rest of the property. It was a very memorable sight.

Fair warning though, even though they don't do anything violent, the things that they say, yell, scream and sing are the sickest, most vile things you could imagine. They also carry American flags and stomp on it and rub it on various parts of their body (if I remember right). The link below will take you to the photo album of this particular funeral on the Patriot Guard's web site. You can't see the protestors in any of the pictures but it gives you an idea of what the Patriot Riders do. I'm sure that if the sickos from Kansas or wherever announce that they will be at the NIU funerals, the PG's will be there in full force too.

http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?dir=Indiana\SSgt+Paul+Pabla,+Huntington,+IN

susiestar

Roll With It
Thisis not a church, no matter what they call themselves. They are a bunch of people with idiotic reasoning using our dead soldiers and children to advance their stupid logic and raise $$$. This group should be forced to disband, due to the emotional agony they cause families.

So much more could be said. And I guess they only read little bits of the Bible.

So sorry if they cause problems for ANY family members of the deceased.

Susie

Sara PA

One of these days someone or some group is going to go after the Phelpses and the Westboro Baptist Church when they picket a high profile funeral. Emotions run too high at these events and Phelps & Co have just angered too many people -- pretty much everyone.

Unless I was close to the deceased, if they were going to picket a funeral I would consider attending that was likely to draw a large crowd, I'd think twice about attending.

tinamarie1

I am astonished at this church's website.(im not posting the link because it has a word of hatred in it) I really thought this may be a hoax when i first read the posting on here. I want to know how they consider themselves "Baptist" I have grown up in that faith and I am very active in my church, and NONE of that garbage is what we believe. We welcome homosexuals or anyone else for that matter. This is a quote on their website: "And of some have compassion, making a difference:" Jude 22.
THEY think picketing a funeral is having compassion????
I don't even understand their rational in thinking that God and homosexuality has anything to do with the shooting at NIU?! These people are disturbed. When I have more time, I am going to research how they are supported, and it better not be by any Baptist association, or I am going on a letter writing campaign. They are definitely a cult in my eyes, and they will face judgement for all of their lies and nastyness. grrrrrrr!!!
They should know: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" Matthew 7:1-2

dreamer

well, Westboro people DID show up----"City plows blocked the groups from view of the church" per nwherald.com, first section first page, and continued to page 7.

susiestar

Roll With It
I do not know how they consider themselves a church. I looked at what they said about the Catholic Church. It is so very far from reality it is scary.
I feel very sorry for any young children of their members, their life must be very scary. I wish these people would get some medications, they are certainly NOT in touch with reality.

Anyway, this is a sick, sad, stupid group. Their website is appalling, and they are just plain wrong.

Susie

Sara PA

I am astonished at this church's website.(im not posting the link because it has a word of hatred in it) I really thought this may be a hoax when i first read the posting on here. I want to know how they consider themselves "Baptist" I have grown up in that faith and I am very active in my church, and NONE of that garbage is what we believe. We welcome homosexuals or anyone else for that matter. This is a quote on their website: "And of some have compassion, making a difference:" Jude 22.
THEY think picketing a funeral is having compassion????
I don't even understand their rational in thinking that God and homosexuality has anything to do with the shooting at NIU?! These people are disturbed. When I have more time, I am going to research how they are supported, and it better not be by any Baptist association, or I am going on a letter writing campaign. They are definitely a cult in my eyes, and they will face judgement for all of their lies and nastyness. grrrrrrr!!!
They should know: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" Matthew 7:1-2
Don't worry. No Baptist organization supports these idiots and no one who knows anything about thinks they are real Baptist....or Christians, for that matter. It's a family business, even smaller than a cult. Interestingly, many of them are or had been lawyers. One way they raise money -- or use to -- was by suing people. I really hate to say it this way, especially on this site, but they're just plain nuts.

Three cheers for the plows!! So happy to hear that the mourners got to grieve and bury their loved ones in peace.

There is no place for this hatred or nonsense.

Marguerite

I've been reading the WIKIPEDIA entry on them and noticed you have an Anti-Defamation LEAGUE. Maybe we're a bit more draconian in Australia - we have Anti-Defamation LEGISLATION. People have the right to protest, but not to defame any group on the basis of gender, race, religious preference or sexual orientation. We have a tub-thumper religious politician who occasionally gets up and says offensive things and gets threatened with legal action. He's never gone this far, apart from early days if HIV concerns when he claimed that AIDS was God's justice on homosexuals. Come to think of it, I think that's about when the legislation came in...

This bloke was a HUGE campaigner against gay marches in Sydney, back in the days (20 years ago) when it was a handful of people doing a one-off march one winter night. Because of this bloke's loud protests, attention was drawn to gay issues in Sydney and we now have an annual Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras. His protests were better publicity than money could buy.

The thing I find fascinating? intriguing? about groups using religion to justify homophobia, is that they clearly don't know their scriptures as well as they think they do. When you look at Judaeo-Christian scriptures in broad, there are far worse sins than homosexuality. Where is it mentioned in the Ten Commandments?

Which brings me to Sara's point - such extreme homophobia says a great deal more about the protestor, than about what he is protesting.

difficult child 1 came home from Bible study last night and made a statement to me expressing concern about a particular denomination (often seen as a bit too extreme by some who misunderstand them). "They don't believe in hell in the same way," he explained. As this was a group I researched thoroughly back in the Sixties (a close friend was a member, and they also run one of Sydney's best private hospitals where I received treatment when I was 21) I told him that if this was true, then:

1) It wasn't in the literature I scrutinised extensively when I was younger;

2) So what? The concept of hell as preached in some churches is a Medieval construct, plus a lot of it is NOT in scriptures in any specific, clearly understood way (hence open to interpretation);

3) A LOT of Christian churches at least, are moving away from the more traditionally-viewed hellfire-and-brimstone concepts of hell, and

4) to judge another group purely because SOMEONE has said they don't think the same way, is not thinking for yourself. "Go to the primary source before you believe what you are told."

Unfortunately, there exists in this world a number of very charismatic and very controlling people. They live to control large numbers of people and they crave public attention. These people are sick and twisted, to varying degrees. Some of them find their way to become religious leaders (any religion, even one they invented themselves); some go into politics; some become performers.
Please note, I am not saying that all religious leaders, all politicians, all performers are in this category - only that where you get the overlap, you get trouble.

I've also seen a slightly similar version of this attention-seeking, in stage mothers. They control their child to a frightening degree, all to gain some level of personal notoriety. Sometimes their ignorance of the business is frightening - they refuse to learn 'the rules' because in their mind, the rules should be re-written - by them. I recall a time when I was a media spokesperson for a charity, the way my being interviewed would trigger jealousy in some people. It was scary - a sort of "Why did they talk to YOU? I am FAR more interesting, and it could have made me a star," type of thinking. Totally unrealistic and very inappropriate to the purpose.

When such a person really exerts effort to control the thinking of large groups of people, I really worry for the human race - we allow these people the freedom to do this even where it badly infringes no other people's human rights. Where access to balanced information is restricted, how can people discern the truth for themselves? And when in history we've had world leaders who controlled entire populations, we have had war, or countries very close to war.

I really can't understand why this group has not been sued, charged with hate crimes or incitement to hate crimes, even sued for their use of the word "Baptist" which is clearly misleading and giving them a legitimacy they do not deserve.

I'm so glad the council had their snow ploughs lined up. Well done!

Marg