What a cool thing K's Teacher is doing!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
*T* who has the same diagnosis as K with added possible Spectrum and questionable Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), Adopted Mom doubts both of those and thinks it is just the same as K... Anyway he has been having a horrible time in School.
I guess he is close to having whatever done, done when they get cafeteria privledges taken away?
So she is taken it upon herself to let him come to the class to *help her*. The way she is doing this is she chose another *better* child as a helper also, for him to model after, one that he likes. She chose K!!!
So they came to class and had lunch.... she made a big deal out of it, like it was a special thing. So the next day T and K got to invite someone else to eat lunch with them...
THe kids love it!!!! They eat and then get to do a special project or go to the playground. She tries to get T to stay in the class...
SO now it is such a big hit that all of the kids are coming into the class for lunch! It is optional, only if you want.
So K told me last night that she hopes she can keep going to the class instead of the Cafeteria, she said it is too noisy and causes too much chaos in her head and too bright. It confuses her.

I am so proud of her for being able to know this about herself.
I am also so happy that her Teacher is willing to do this for the kids...
She said she will do this as long as she does not have an IEP meeting or something else!!!:D
We need more teachers like this.

susiestar

Roll With It
Isn't it wonderful when you find a teacher like that? They are as precious as any gem ever mined, they make our children's lives so much more beautiful.

J had a third grade teacher who let kids come to the room for lunch if they needed a quiet place, and Wiz had a Jr High teacher (MY old English teacher!!) who would let kids come to her room during lunch to have a quieter atmosphere. It really makes a HUGE difference for our kids, esp ones with Sensory issues.

Hugs to K and the teacher!! (K is a gem also!!)

LittleDudesMom

That's great! A sympathetic and understanding teacher makes such a huge impression on our difficult children! Glad you have found one.

Sharon

Pookybear66

That is so great for K! Kudos to her for knowing her body and feelings so well! My ds just had lunch with his school counselor on Fri but it was something I had to ask for at last meeting. It really does help our kids to know that once in a while they get "special" treatment for just being.

TerryJ2

That's great. And also very good that K is able to express that the noise and confusion of the cafeteria annoy her. Way To Go.