What a schedule at the retirement home--lol!!!

TerryJ2

This was Halloween Day:

5:00 p.m. Bible Study
6:00 p.m. Bingo
7:00 p.m. Night of the Living Dead
8:00 p.m. Laurence Welk
:bigsmile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Lawrence Welk??? Are the residents even young enough anymore to remember him?? Hahahahahahahaaaaaa

By the time we're in one they will be playing old videos from MTV in the '80's!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, now that is quite a night. lol

easy child and Nichole used to take the grands over to visit mother in law, then they'd do the home's T or T. Residents got such a kick out of it.

DammitJanet

They have to be young enough to remember him...I do...sadly. Argh...I remember so many Saturday nights that he was all I could watch...lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
They have to be young enough to remember him...I do...sadly. Argh...I remember so many Saturday nights that he was all I could watch...lol.

Janet, you and I are the same age, I remember him also, but we were little when he was big. My Mom is 89 and she can't stand Lawrence Welk!! LOL. She always called him an old fart. LOL

And yes, S2S - at least they try to keep them busy or entertained. My mom's nursing home does a fabulous job of keeping the residents busy and entertained.

TerryJ2

I don't know, I just thought the juxtaposition of bingo, Night of the Living Dead, and Lawrence Welk was amusing. All in a day's work. :)

InsaneCdn

I don't know, I just thought the juxtaposition of bingo, Night of the Living Dead, and Lawrence Welk was amusing. All in a day's work. :)

I think the point is... hopefully there will be "something for everybody" even if it isn't "everything for everybody"...!

H

HaoZi

I wonder how many residents made jokes about every night being night of the living dead when you're on that kind of schedule.

svengandhi

How can they tell the difference between the Living Dead and Lawrence Welk?

My grandma used to drink her Geritol and make me Ovaltine and then we'd watch Lawrence Welk together.

donna723

OMG! I remember Lawrence Welk! My parents watched that religiously so we had to sit through it every week! They were always playing the accordian and doing the polka! Ana one, ana two ...

TerryJ2

I hope that by the time I'm in a retirement home, Lawrence Welk shows have been permanently retired. I never liked him way back when I was a kid and still don't like it now. Sigh.
Josh Groban, anyone?

donna723

I can't believe they had an event called "Night of the Living Dead" at a retirement home! I wonder what they did for that? The one my grandmother was in was right next to a cemetery! Coincidence?

Still, that's better than what they do in our local nursing home. There are always pictures in the paper of the Harvest King and Queen, or the Valentines King and Queen ... they make these poor old people dress up and then take their pictures! They probably wish they would just leave them alone!

TerryJ2

Ah yes, my dad did that. He was King for a day, and I wasn't there, but my little sister was. The way its done where he lives, it's a party, more or less, with dancing. And food. And drinks. If that's what it's about, count my dad in. :) If it's just weird stuff, no way, lol!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wow, Harvest King and Queen? Lol.

At my mom's nursing home they have daily activities-some are her cup of tea, some not. I try to visit on the days I know she will be a bit bored. But, they have quite a lot going on during the week, all day into the evening. And they have at least four rec therapists that I've met, they have a lot of word games and currect events activities as well as those 'remember when' types of things. They also have thongs like 'Nifty Fifties' week and they will do everything up from that era, even the dining hall and food, etc. It's really fun. And now that the holiday season in coming up, they're having a harvest fair and crafts will be sold, etc, with baked goods, music, etc. Then they have a bunch of events leading up to Hanukkah and Christmas and a big holiday party that we all go to. Also, they have a secret Santa for all the residents and we can pick names from a bowl to buy for residents without family. It's a great place.

TerryJ2

'Nifty Fifties' week and they will do everything up from that era, even the dining hall and food,

That's a great idea! I am going to pass it on to the activities director.

buddy

I hope that by the time I'm in a retirement home, Lawrence Welk shows have been permanently retired. I never liked him way back when I was a kid and still don't like it now. Sigh.
Josh Groban, anyone?
love josh! just an amazing singer and so so cute

DammitJanet

I want to go to a nursing home where they have a piano, computer and tv. As long as I have those I will be fine. Hopefully by then I will have stopped smoking...lol. Or obviously I just cant go. But my dream has always been to retire to a nursing home with a piano because my parents sold my piano when they divorced. Thats one thing I really resented. My mom could have kept it with her, or my dad could have kept it with him...either one waiting for me to be able to get it. But oh no...no one wanted to keep something that important to me.

InsaneCdn

Janet. This is a wake-up call. Don't wait for the nursing home.

Tell Tony and the boys that your xmas list has TWO BIG THINGS on it... they can get you small stuff too, but... you want TWO THINGS for xmas...

1) A clean house - ya don't care if THEY do it, or if they HIRE it.
2) A good used piano - 'cause one the house is cleaned out, there will be room for it.

Used pianos are CHEAP these days. Here, at least, its hard to get rid of them!

Get it NOW. Enjoy it NOW. Somethings have to be higher up your priority list!

(sorry, can you tell I play? and that it's my significant bellweather and sanity saver?)