What a shock! NOT. Susan Boyle diagnosed with ...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by TerryJ2, Dec 8, 2013.

1. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

2. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

It helps raise the profile of the female side of Asperger's... which is a good thing.
  3. TerryJ2

Yes, I'll take her kind of publicity any day. :) (We don't need the kind from Sandy Hook.)
  4. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

Beat me to it. I just came here to post that. As a female with AS, I'm glad to see her as an example in addition to Temple Grandin.
  5. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

Interesting and, although I didn't think of it...of course!!! :)

I think Adam Lanzy (or whatever his name was) had lots more wrong with him than Aspergers. Unfortunately, yeah, his diagnosis plays into stereotypes that some people have.

Love Temple Grandin! Brilliant woman!
  6. TerryJ2

Yes, I agree that Lanza had more wrong with him, too, but anyone who just accepts news stories at face value will automatically think that's the only thing he had. :(
  7. Dixies_fire

Dixies_fire Member

My first thought was kind of "duh"
  8. svengandhi

svengandhi Well-Known Member

H and I watched Susan Boyle on Youtube, looked at each other and said "Aspie." I guess, though, if you haven't spent time around Aspies, you might not recognize it.

As for Adam Lanza, he clearly had a lot more going on. My Aspie likes shooting and has some guns (which I am supposed to refer to as "firearms" and not "weapons") but he's not obsessive or violent. I find it really offputting that they just show that one awful picture of Adam Lanza. I know he did horrible things and it's not easy child, but I have sympathy for him. He must have been so tormented in his young life. I admit I cried for the waste of his life as well. His mother, on the other hand, HER I can't understand.