What are you cooking for Easter dinner?

rejectedmom

I'm having the family here and want to do something different. It seems like my daughter does alot of the holidays and she always cooks a ham. So it has gotten to the point where I and husband do not find it special anymore. I wanted to do a pork rast but my other daughter caan't tolerate it and I'm allergic to shellfish so lobster or shrimp or crabs is out.
Most of us do not like Lamb and a beef roast seems too heavy for this traditional Spring feast. I was going to cook Salmon but my sister in law won't eat it. Well at least now I know why my daughter always cooks ham. LOL -RM

jal

How about filet mignon? I did them in puff pastry the other weekend with sauteed mushrooms, onions and gorgonzola cheese and served them with an onion gravy. They were to die for.

And since that splurge....we will be having ham for Easter dinner.

trinityroyal

mother in law is doing her usual slap-up meal.

Turkey with sage and sausage stuffing
Mixed vegetables
Roasted potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Garlic bread

Since husband is still being diligent about his diet (Down 225 lbs now, 25 to go to achieve his goal weight! Yay husband), I am making a salad and roasted pepper squash for him, since he's not supposed to have the potatoes or mixed veg that mother in law prepares.

I will also bake a vanilla layer cake and have lots of fun decorating it in Easter colours.

RM, I can also see why your daughter prepares a ham every year. It's hard to accommodate everyone's requirements and preferences.

Happy Easter!
Trinity

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H and I will probably hit up a gas station for peanut trail mix and some ice cream on our way home from PA! Hahaha.

I think we're having our Easter dinner on Saturday at my sister's house in PA with my mom. I am going to offer to cook up a non-traditional southwestern black bean roasted garlic and tomatillo taco dinner. Wah hahahaha - I could just see the look on my sister's face. I think she's a ham and potatos kind of gal.

I used to make a delicious pork loin roast on the grill. Mmmmm, back when I ate meat....it was so good and tender and juicy.

B

butterflydreams

I am not cooking. We are actually going to my parents house. My daughter's b-day is the day after and so we are getting together for that. We are not having anything special. My parents are picking up a few roasted chickens from Costco and I am bringing a cake. My step-brother and his wife are bringing ice cream to go along with the cake. There will be 8 of us including my boyfriend. It will be nice and relaxed. No stress.

rejectedmom

Well this is really weird. I took a poll and now everyone says they will eat ....Lamb! I guess they recently aquired a taste for it. I just worry because at the last family gathering my sister in law made a beautiful rack of lamb and no one ate it. I am still considering Cornish game hens or mango and Jack cheeze garnished Chicken.

Jal, The Filet mignon sounds good too.

Trinity, It all sounds yummy! I was thinking about Turkey but I just made one a little while ago for a birthday dinner.

Jog, No way that I can get away with trail mix LOL!

KTmom, LOL! Hey I wouldn't mind not cooking. I think had I been invited out I would eat anything except what I'm allergic to.

Butterflydreams, That sonds nice and relaxing. Enjoy!

DDD

I'm not cooking...yeah! husband and I are going to "do our thing" again this year and I am delighted. on the other hand, if anyone is fixing lamb "well done" I will be happy to fill a seat at the table. We can't do the medium rare lamb thing..lol. It's actually embarrassing because if we do "fine dining" out, you almost have to sign a disclaimer with a notary if you want the Chef to overcook your lamb.
:redface: DDD

Jena

i have no idea, boyfriend's cooking. we're having everyone on sunday. he mentioned lamb, yuck sorry i'm not into that. i think he's doing sauce and ravioli for the little ones i'll probably eat what their eating :)

rejectedmom

DDD, I'm still up in the air about the lamb but if I do cook it it will be well done. LOL

Jena, I had pasta this evening. It is my favorite food I cook lazagne for Christmas Eve dinner. My tablecloths really take a beating KNIM?

SRL

Last year I made roast beef and parmesan chicken. Only my kids really went for the roast beef, but everyone else seemed to like the chicken (I double the sauce and serve over rice).

http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/hermitage_in_recipe2.html

I'm doing a nice ham from the meat market this year. My crew would just as soon try something different but I had the feeling others missed it last year. I'm also making rolls, a lemon jello salad, and cheesy potatoes in the crock pot that I can mix together the night before. I'll have several more sides coming, along with fruit and veggie trays plus dessert.

I have eggs on the stove right now for decorating and I'll do hot cross buns early in the morning.

Cooking isn't my problem....it's the cleaning I still have left to do that is.:hairy:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not cooking a darn thing. Nor am I entertaining anyone.

This holiday I have "off". easy child and Nichole are handling it, and dinner will be at easy child's new house. :D :D

goldenguru

Hubby insists on the traditional fare.

Spiral cut ham with- sweet glaze
Baked sweet potatoes
Homemade baked beans
whole grain rolls
cranberry salad

My dad always brings pies

So yummy!

crazymama30

Well, I am working (unless hospital's census drops and I get called off--cross fingers) so it could be whatever husband wants to make, which could be interesting. If I am off, I am going to see if I can find a grocery store that is open and buy a ham, sweet potatoes, and then we will also have green beens and rolls. I won't know if I get called off untill 5am on Sunday morning. I asked to be, but who knows.

SRL

Years ago when I was single, my mom came down for Easter and I ordered one of those precooked grocery store meals that you pick up warm and ready to go. It wasn't homemade but a little ways into the bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme we didn't care one bit!

One of my most memorable Easters...and no dishes!

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
I am not cooking. husband is taking us all to a buffet - ham, lamb, prime rib, seafood newburgh, peel & eat shrimp, made to order ommletes, and assorted and sundry other yummy things. Then I'm sending everyone home so I can finish getting the house ready for out-of town guests who are arriving on Wednesday. I'll enjoy the good food and the company, and I wont miss the cooking or cleaning up a bit!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm headed to my bro and sister in law's. I have no idea what the menu is but I hope it's not ham. YUCK! :bag:

RM, if you are having lamb, whack off a slab and cook it medium for me, will ya? What time should I be there?

Suz

muttmeister

Lamb is one of my favorite things but nobody in my family likes it but me so we are having the usual Easter dinner (for us):
Boiled picnic ham (I hate those expensive hams because they are the consistency of plastic and taste like chlorine; a boiled picnic ham has the consistency of real meat!)
Au gratin potatoes in the oven
Asparagus in butter sauce
A Jell-O salad made in the bunny mold (A tradition)
Deviled eggs (difficult child's favorite)
Olives (grandkids" favorite)
Crescent rolls
Individual cheesecakes with fresh strawberries

Table decorations will be Rice Krispy treats tinted green and made in the shape of a nest with chocolate eggs in them.
My 4 y.o. granddaughter was here this afternoon and we made the Rice Krispy treat nests and then we colored eggs. I bought the tie-dye kind. You put the boiled egg in a plastic bag and dribble on some dye and then mush it around in the bag to color it. THat's much more fun for a kid than dipping it in dye and waiting for what seems to them like a LONG TIME and then taking them out. We had fun doing them and she was very proud of how they came out.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I DON'T WANT TO COOK THIS YEAR!!!

I got an email offer from a local upscale bowling alley for champagne brunch and unlimited bowling for $25 per person... $20 if you don't want the champagne. I think that sounds like fun for all of us, especially since we're doing the family thing the day before at sister in law's house.

If everyone's healthy here, maybe we'll do that....