What Are You Guys Reading Lately???

MrsMcNear46

Just finished "Ticket To Ride" by Paula McLain. Great story of 2 teenaged girls growing up in the 60's. One of them happens to be a difficult child and the mother is bipolar. Very entertaining and well written.

Julie

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I just finished Daughter of York By Anne Easter Smith - Excellent, excellent book! Loth, if you enjoy the history and fantastic story telling in the Outlander series, you will love this book as well. And now I've started another Easter-Smith book called, A Rose for the Crown.

I have at the ready On Beauty By Zadie Smith. I read her book Teeth years ago, her first novel and it was excellent...kind of wierd and eccentric but good.

And my sister just gave me a bunch of Jodi Picult books that I haven't read yet. I thought I had read them all! I love her writing as well.

And I just also finished Blood of Flowers By Anita Amirrezvani - interesting cultural history of women in Iran. Blew me away.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I loved the Micheal Pollan Books,
I am finishing up "Mommy I am still in here" by: Kate McLaughlin... it has taken me a while to read despite being short... it has made me cry and I have had to set it down a few times. It is so close to home with K and my own dealings with my Bipolar Disorder. Very good book.
I just ordered the new David Sedaris book!!! He is one of my FAVORITE writers...I have "Beautiful Boy" next to my bed as well as a book on parenting called "Positive Discipline"
I also ordered the new Augusten Bourroughs memoir about his father...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I just ordered the new David Sedaris book!!! He is one of my FAVORITE writers...I have "Beautiful Boy" next to my bed as well as a book on parenting called "Positive Discipline"
I also ordered the new Augusten Bourroughs memoir about his father...

I loved all their books~

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok...I have the list going. Please send me an email with ideas. Sometimes the thread disappears before I can read it. Should be good!!

Abbey

DDD

I love our book reading threads. I print the whole thread out and then highlight the ones that I think will appeal tome. Then, I mail a copy to my 40 something easy child who is always thrilled to hear what "my Board friends" are suggesting. DDD

muttmeister

In March I've read 3 of the Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell, 3 of Sue Grafton's, 3 mysteries by Micheal Connelly, Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fanny Flagg, No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (the movie never did come here but I liked the book), The Cranberry Trail by Kent Cowgill, What Girls Learn by Karin Cook, Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, and I'm still working on the Time Magazine list of 100 best - this month I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. The best one this month was Beach Music by Pat Conroy. One section was a recreation of a campus event during the Viet Nam protests and I swear that I was just as mad and upset while I was reading it as I had been when I was living it. Good writing.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thanks to a lovely friend -

I'm reading Crazy - a journalists journey with his schizophrenic son through the mental health care system.

Southern Widow - A true tale of a woman in Alabama who turned her yard into a graveyard and dug the graves & buried 1400 + dead civil war soldiers with just her house maid. Very gripping.

How to talk so your kids will listen and How to Listen so they will talk - ABSOLUTELY the BEST book for difficult child's I've ever EVER read. this thing should come with an infant or when you find out you're pregnant. Excellent book.

And Some vitamin book - supposed to be good for you but it's a slow read.

N

Nomad

"I'm reading Crazy - a journalists journey with his schizophrenic son through the mental health care system.."

You guys just reminded me of some books I have either recently read, etc.

Star: I read most of Crazy. It just made me a little too emotional, so I put it down. by the way, I "thought" the author's son was diagnosis'd as having Bipolar I illness.
I haven't picked the book back up yet...

I also recently finished that Ekhart Tolle book. I read it so fast, my head is spinning. I thought it was very good. I'm not doing the Oprah on-line thing though.

I am totally thrilled to hear of the new David Sedaris book! That guy cracks me up!

So...anyone hear ANYTHING about the book called Skinny B? It sure is "different."

Lothlorien

Oh yeah, I have Stardust by Neil Gaiman on my list of reads too. I've been told that Neil Gaiman (I think he also wrote The Notebook) is a wonderful author.

Shari, since Abbey is compiling a big list, perhaps she can make a separate post on that, once she's done, instead of doing a sticky.

Lothlorien

I was wrong, Nicholas Sparks wrote the Notebook. I've been told that the book Three Weeks With My Brother, by Nicholas Sparks is a wonderful book and is based on his life. I will try to get to that one eventually, too.

KTMom91

Nicholas Sparks is wonderful! I recently finished True Believer and At First Sight. I just got The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult, haven't read it yet. And I just finished The Shining for the ten-millionth time. I'd love to join the book listing!

DDD

Years ago (many years ago..lol) I checked a book out of the library that I wish I had purchased. I can't tell you the name or the author but it was synopsis of either fifty or one hundred books that educated people have read. It sounds "snooty" but it was awesome to see what I missed by dropping out of college "for love". GAG! Some of the books that are listed here (Clockwork Orange, i.e.) I've never read but the whole world has. Does anyone have a book
like that in their library? DDD

DDD

I forgot to add Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. It is a short novel about a 3rd string quarterback who moves to Italy to play ball. My husband really enjoyed that book and is recommending it. DDD

janie

New Zealand
Hi there,
I am keen to see any booklists - I will email you Abbey.
One of my part time jobs is at a bookshop - can you guess that it is my favourite job?! :)
I have so many interesting books that pass through my hands - I am constantly adding more titles to my "wish list".
Favourite customers always give me updates on what they have purchased - and other books that they recommend too.
I am grateful for the staff discount we are entitled too as well.
Books are VERY expensive here in New Zealand. The average paperback e.g. John Grisham, etc is around NZ$36 (I think that is around US$29 or so).
I have just finished reading "NOT WITHOUT MY SISTERS" by Kristina Jones, Celeste Jones and Juliana Buhring. It is about the Children of God cult. (David Berg was the leader and prophet of the cult). It is very sobering reading. It sickens me to read of such atrocities being inflicted on children - supposedly acceptable as their leader dictated that they were an expression of "love" Yuck!